Carp Anglers Group Forums
accordbw

Carp of the Month March 2015 $100 BCT Voucher & CAG Membershi

Question

March contest has started! Please put your pictures below and some details on the capture. Also if you use a forum name please put your first and last name also

0 answers to this question

It has been more than a month since I have tangled with a carp, a long period of time for me. We are in the grips of one of the most brutal winters ever here in southern NE with over 100 inches of snow the average in most places. Little has melted in the record breaking cold of the last month. So, when the temperature hit a balmy 40 degrees today on March 4, I was determined to wipe the dust off the gear and get out carp fishing.

I chose a spot with running water since no pond or lake has open water at this time. I had to trek through woods with snow up to my ears just to reach the spot. When I got there, I was shocked to see the water almost completely covered in ice except for a narrow channel of fast moving water. That is where I fished, flipping my rig out right along the ice sheet. I was using sweet corn on the hair rig.

I landed several sluggish carp in this ice cold water. They all had some vibrant winter coloring. The mirror below was the best looking of the bunch. It had a beautiful row of small scales under its dorsal fin, and had a bunch of larger scales near its head and tail. Its midsection lacked scales but had a glowing color. This is the way a lot of mirrors look in the cold of winter here in New England.

Dave Pickering, RI CAG

post-1472-0-74446200-1425514595.jpg

Great photos everyone, keep them coming!

Funny, this sounds like "March girlfriends madness"... Cool! :lol: