Carp Anglers Group Forums
kentlakecarper

Michigan 2015 Events, locations and dates discussion

Hey all Michiganders,

It's a new year and one that I know we are all looking forward to now that the stinkin weather is finally starting to warm up.

Our last 2 years we have not had many social events that made our group truly representative of the great crew that we have. Lets do our best to pull together and change that.

Nikki and I will be hosting our 9th Annual Michigan Gear Swap, Fundraiser, Meet & Greet and Dinner on Sunday March 29th:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55099-9th-annual-michigan-gear-swap-fundraiser-meet-greet-and-dinner/

If you have never been and are reading this, please come. Your most welcome and it's a great time to meet everyone else and partake in the activities. Lots of cool stuff trades hands and many raffle items will be there to be won.

After that event, we have the Big 3rd annual CAG Midwest Regional hosted by my sorry arse on the ever tough Saginaw River on May 2nd and 3rd. We have some spots left on the Michigan team so please consider signing up if you have not done so already:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/54702-the-2015-midwest-regional-trilogy-may-2nd-3rd/

Then On May 16th & 17th is the Wooden Shoe Carp Classic hosted by Dave and Jen in Holland:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/54427-wooden-shoe-carp-classic-2015/

So we have all of April, some dates in May and the whole rest of the year to discuss and plan on locations and events for some good ol Socials to get our group back together and having fun again.

What Michigan could really use right now is an active State Chair/Chairs to provide a bit of leadership. The job would basically entail organizing a couple of events and keeping communication alive with the rest of the Michigan crew. It's all our job to do our best to support any scheduled events and try to bring a new person along.

We also have quite a few new Michigan CAG members that have never really been to a fish-in so making sure these guys are welcomed is very important. please do your best in helping the fresh faces with whatever they need.

Anyhow, I'll kick start some potential dates and venues following this post. please spread the word about this post and encourage everyone you can to provide input so we can get some social events scheduled.

Hope each and everyone of you are doing great and I'm excited to share bank space with you this year.

Tight lines,

Andy

Venues ideal for large group, social interaction (Please provide any recommendations currently not on list):

Lansing, Grand River

Saginaw River

Holland, Lake Macatawa

Lake Erie MetroPark

Ford lake

Sterling State Park

Saline Mill Pond

Kent Lake in Kensington MetroPark

North Hydro Park

Mona shores

Muskegon

North Side of Lake Mac

Gravel Pitts & Grand river park

Gun Lake if any one wanted to explore

Dates not ideal for married with kids...lol:

Easter, Sunday, April 5th

Mothers Day weekend May 9th and 10th

Fathers Day Weekend June 20th and 21st

Weekend that is busy with boat traffic before Summer when it's always busy:

Memorial Day weekend May 23rd, 24th and 25th

Not out of the question, but just something to consider....

I'd suggest North Hydro Park in addition to the list above. The fish aren't huge, but there is plenty of bank space. (You do need back leads there though.) I'd bring BBQ pulled pork, brisket, drinks if we decide to have one there. In fact, I can bring those items to almost any fish in and I'd be happy to do it.

I love Sterling Sate Park and fished there about 30 times last year. The one downside is available bank space where everyone can fish together. It's kind of spread out. If you have 10 guys they could not really fish together and socialize as a group.

I'd suggest North Hydro Park in addition to the list above. The fish aren't huge, but there is plenty of bank space. (You do need back leads there though.) I'd bring BBQ pulled pork, brisket, drinks if we decide to have one there. In fact, I can bring those items to almost any fish in and I'd be happy to do it.

I love Sterling Sate Park and fished there about 30 times last year. The one downside is available bank space where everyone can fish together. It's kind of spread out. If you have 10 guys they could not really fish together and socialize as a group.

Great feedback Brian,

I'll add Hydro park to the list.

Your offer for premium food and drinks sounds awesome.

i think a fish in would be fun on macatawa. big fish there and we could all have fun without the tournament setting. maybe it could be like a 2 day thing to make it worth the drive. just an idea

Since I didn't make it into the Wooden Shoe this year, I'd be up for Macatawa.

I would love to see the old weekend camping trip on the sagnasty be brought back to life, idk the feasibility of it without conflicting dates of our other events or stacking two in a row back to back weekends but from the stories I have heard from the trips we had in the past it sounds like a blast. I know the other younger guys and I would be willing to help out with it any way we could.

Since I didn't make it into the Wooden Shoe this year, I'd be up for Macatawa.

I would second the vote for Macatawa

Mona shores

Muskegon

North Side of Lake Mac

Gravel Pitts and Grand river park

Gun Lake if any one wanted to explore

Good suggestions Dave :)

I would love to see the old weekend camping trip on the sagnasty be brought back to life, idk the feasibility of it without conflicting dates of our other events or stacking two in a row back to back weekends but from the stories I have heard from the trips we had in the past it sounds like a blast. I know the other younger guys and I would be willing to help out with it any way we could.

Ahh man, classic times!! I would certainly love to do that again!

I saw Robert's post on Facebook. I'll vote for White Lake, although I've never been there before.