Carp Anglers Group Forums
Evan C.

South Carolina Introductions

If you enjoy carp fishing in South Carolina please introduce yourself - you don't have to be a Carp Anglers Group member or have fancy gear, all you have to do is enjoy catching carp on hook and line!

Edited by Evan C.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Evan Cartabiano and I am located in Columbia, SC. I am a fisheries ecologist working for the SCDNR. I have just become State Chair of CAG and really want to see more carp fishing in the state. I fish most often on the Congaree River and on Lake Murray - if you want to fish in the area or learn more about carp fishing feel free to shoot me an email (ecartabiano@gmail.com) or PM on this forum and I'll do my best to help you out.

Hello,

My name is Todd Davis and I live in Chesnee SC, I used to be the CAG SC chairperson back in the 90's and even though I haven't posted on the forums in a while I have still been carp fishing under the radar so to speak.

I am a steal rule die maker for a large printing and packaging company in Spartanburg. I am 48 and have been carp fishing since I was a kid.

I look forward to fishing again with Evan and anybody else hear who fishes in the southeast.

Welcome Todd!

Glad to see you are back on the forum. Looking forward to fishing with you soon!

Hi!

Tony here from Atlanta. I have been fishing for carp for an age, but I freely admit that I target other species as well. I fish mostly in rivers (Hooch and Coosa) . I reckon it should be possible for us from GA and SC to meet up some time...there must be suitable venues that are equidistant. We do get Cannonball from TN to come and fish with us and some of us make the trip up there when we can.

This is my first look a the SC CAG and I admit I should have looked sooner.

One gripe I have in GA is that there do not seem to be that many big carp. My PB here in GA is a mere 22lb and I admit to getting excited about upper doubles!

So lets keep in touch and maybe, once it warms up next year we can get out and fish together.

Cheers

Hi Tony!

Carp for me are serious business, and I fish for other species (such as bass) to relax! :D

I used to live in GA and fish Lake Lanier all the time. Never did that well, and my PB from there was only 16?

The average size of carp I have caught in SC has been in the mid teens, with a few fish in the mid 20s. The Congaree river in Columbia is hard to fish but they are good sized when you get them.

I have moved to NC (better job) but will still be down there at times. Let me know when you think you might have time to fish and we'll set something up.

Evan

Hello all. My Name is T.K. Rogers and I live in Ninety Six, SC. Been carp fishing for over 35 years and still love it like the first day. I live 2 minutes from Lake Greenwood State Park and was surprised that they aren't many carp anglers here. Started a bait and tackle company in the area called Carp 2 Catz and trying to get more people interested in carp as a gamefish(they bow-hunt them here!!). Being in between big lakes , Greenwood and Murray I'm looking for other anglers to fish and share thoughts and ideas about carp baits,flavors,line and hooks to name a few. Look forward to hearing from other anglers on the site. TK

Hi TK,

Welcome to the CAG forum! Greenwood is a great lake. I fished Murray a bit and never got a common carp. Lots of big grass carp however! Bow hunting is definitely a problem for so many areas. I am in NC now and it's just as bad. Is your company online or brick and mortar? There are a few other members on here that fish that area and hopefully they will comment as well.

Cheers,

Evan

Welcome to the forum.  Have you signed up for a CAG membership?  Please do ASAP.  Never fished any of the SC waters.  Lived in NC many years ago but only fished a park in Rowan County.  Looking back, I have missed a lot of good fishing- coldwater and warmwater.  Good luck with the business.

Hello fellow anglers. Just wanted to let you guys know that our company is a mobile bait and tackle store. No brick and mortar here. We wanted to bring the store to the anglers not the other way around. Thanks for the warm welcome and I'll be joining carp anglers group. Looking forward to sharing my experience and learning new tactics and ideas from others. Thanks again. TK

Hi TK,

I live in Chesnee but have fished Greenwood for years for Carp and Gar.

Would love to meet up with you some time to see what you have in the mobile tackle shop and maybe we can fish some too.

Give me a shout or text sometime

Todd Davis 864 680 1646

Hello Ya’ll! 

My name is Christian and I live and work (I work as a purchasing guy in the automotive industry) in Simpsonville SC upstate since almost 6 years. Originally from Germany I am hooked on carp fishing since the late nineties and with some breaks I brought finally my rods and tackle over trying to find good lakes and spots in the upstate. 

Lake greenwood and lake croft have been my main lakes so far producing especially lots of grass carps. However, I am still searching for a good venue but find it difficult as water access is often private. 

I would be happy to get some hints and would also be glad to find someone sharing this hobby with me (since my girlfriend is not overly exited of beeping alarms at 2 AM in the morning). 

Since this is my first post I am exited about my new membership at CAG and I am looking forward to any response!

Thanks and tight lines

Chris  

Hi Chris,

I am no loner in SC (In TX now), but still have the lakes that have done well for me. Send Todd Davis (see comments above) a message as he is in that area and has the most info in SC carping of anyone I know of.  Lake Hartwell has a lot of fish in it (not very large on average however) but there are alot of parks along the GA/SC line that are really unfished.

Shoot me a PM and we can chat more.

Regards,

Evan

Hello All,

New resident of Upstate South Carolina area and former member of CAG. I am getting back into the scene after a long time out. I live in the Simpsonville/Five Forks area just outside of Greenville, SC.

After selling off most of my equipment on this very forum sometime around 2012 (which I now regret), I am getting back into the swing of things and rebuying everything! I moved from central NC to the coast and didn’t see much opportunity to fish for carp due to location and life changes. Now I am back inland and looking forward to exploring local waters for some hidden gems her in the Upstate.

Feel free to get in touch. Would love to meet up and fish, chat or whatever about carp. 

P.S I am a Brit expat who has been in the states since 2003.

Welcome back in the game Dave.

I've found it just doesn't pay to get rid of your gear.  I tend to hold on to everything (much to the dismay of the Mrs.) because it seems, as soon as you sell it, you need it.

Ken,

So very true! Definitely regretting it, but at least it gives me an excuse to buy all shiny new kit!:)

All the small bits and pieces that you collect over the years is the part I really wish I still had. All those little things add up and it’s hard to justify the $ for buying 20 different types & sizes of leads “just in case”! 

Hi David,

my name is Christian and I moved over to SC about 7 years ago from Europe as well and still live in Simpsonville. Love it here!! 

I have been fishing a few lakes around here - lake Craig, Greenwood, James, Jones, Murray ... and finally landed a few beautiful commons at lake hartwell two weeks ago (... what a relieve after all the grass carps around here 🙂 ) 

If u like just shoot me an email at pranghec@gmail.com. Maybe we can grab a cold one and do some carp talk? Would be great since I am always enjoying my hobby alone so far ... 

Thanks and greetings 

christian