Carp Anglers Group Forums
Streamtripper

Beach fishing

Something I want to try this year but I'm intimidated with the amount of shoreline to choose from. Has anyone had luck fishing carp in Lake Erie from the beach and if so is there any area that you can suggest?

Mark/Hairwig has. I have fished Lake Ontario from shore. On Lake Ontario I always found a spot where a creek flowed into the Lake.

Something I want to try this year but I'm intimidated with the amount of shoreline to choose from. Has anyone had luck fishing carp in Lake Erie from the beach and if so is there any area that you can suggest?

Not Erie, but the lake side out of Charles Daily Park can be a great spot on a calm day.

I now have access to several beach front properties along Lake Erie, I too am wondering how to go about fishing the lake or should I just fish the bays?

Let me add I'd be on the U.S. side in Erie Pa, same lake figure what works for the Canadians should work for me!

My favorite spot is a sandy beach near my house on lake Erie. It is very shallow, and kind of protected like a huge bay. But I have to feed regularly for a few days, to pull in the mostly double digit fish. It is a featureless lake bottom, but a couple of creeks flow into the lake within 1km. I usually don't catch any if the waves are too big. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Fishing these type areas, which tend to be shallower and/or featureless, at night during the summer pattern might increase the odds of bigger fish.

Many of the regional tidal rivers are expansive and lake-like. Fish will cruise beachy areas during the spring and spawn pattern before retreating to the sanctuary depths for summer. They can return relatively shallow at night feeding under the cover and security of darkness (especially if there is deep water channels or sanctuary nearby) , after which they return to the depths shortly after sunrise.

The best time to fish for them is spring. They move into different locations to spawn from late April to early june iun the shallows all along the coast. One just needs to do some exploring to find them. Once your on them you have a chance to catch plenty. Its a good opportunity to break your PB or even get the fly rod out. In my experience on the beach I fish, I usually need to wait up to 24 hours until they get on the bait ( I bivvy up) but when they do get on your bait make sure you have fresh batteries in your alarm LOL. (I spod out a few gallons of particles). I agree it can an intimidating amount of water to tackle but once you find them, you'll be in carpy heaven. Some suggested area would be the Port Maitland area, Crystal Beach and anywhere in between. Good luck!

Thanks Mark, problem I don't have the bait n wait time that it takes.... Have you been out yet? I'm hoping to wet my line in about 3 weeks ......my spot is open but temp is not there yet

Thanks Mark, problem I don't have the bait n wait time that it takes.... Have you been out yet? I'm hoping to wet my line in about 3 weeks ......my spot is open but temp is not there yet

You're welcome. Not so much for carp. Mainly on the ice. There are pockets of carp that stick around. Not always necessary to bait and wait. Talk to Dennis at Fishing Niagara. He likes to fish for carp and is pretty helpful with that area since his fishing tackle shop is right in Fort Erie.