Carp Anglers Group Forums
(RI) pickerd

Carp Care Needed

I went out to one of my favorite winter spots this week, a place that has seen very little to no pressure in the past. Well, the word was out thanks to Facebook. I found a lot of fishermen there. It was apparent that most of these guys were not experienced carpers. I suspect they were probably bass fishermen with cabin fever. These guys had some knowledge of carp fishing since they were using the right bait, sweet corn, and they were catching some fish.
The problems started once they got their fish near shore. Without nets, some of them resorted to using a boga grip to "lip" the fish and lift them up the bank. Boga grips are sort of like locking pliers that grab the fish's jaw or lips in this case. These grips are made for toothy critters such as pike or hard jawed fish such as largemouths. But, one should NEVER use a Boga grip on a carp. It does consider able damage to the carp's lips. I saw another guy get a fish near shore and he grabbed the fish under the gill plate with his hand to lift it out of the water. That is a no no since it will likely break a gill and the fish will bleed to death. Then, this same guy pulled out a scale with a hook on it and hooked the fish under the gill plate and lifted it to weigh it. Once again, this will break the gills and kill the fish. NEVER put a weigh hook under the gills of a carp. If you are going to weigh a fish put the it in a sling and then weigh it, or keep the fish in the net and weigh it with the net.
We all need to remind ourselves of carp care. Equipment such as carp friendly mesh nets, the use of unhooking mats on rough ground and weigh slings should all be part of a carp fisherman's equipment arsenal. I will say that these same guys who were clueless when it came to carp care were conservation minded fishermen. They were releasing all the fish they caught so I applaud them for that. However, they would be wise to brush up on carp care, a key component of carp fishing.

Did you have the gear with you to show them the proper way to care for carp? Good thread that points to how we care for the fish that we admire. Thanks.

Was it off the bike path Dave? Ive been trying to stay off it more seems to be lots of caracters around latley.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE -- the guys caught a few carp, and are now potential CAG members!

Maybe by catching those carp, some of those guys gained an appreciation for them as a gamefish. If so, maybe they will take the time to learn more about carp angling, and through that education, they will eventually understand how carp should be handled.

After all, how many of us "grew up" misinformed about carp, believing that they were "just trash fish"? The best way to get others interested in carp angling isn't by telling them about it -- it's by having them actually experience the thrill of catching some carp for themselves.

nmt2f, good point! I would venture to say that the carp they were catching were bigger than most other fish they catch.

Dave, though distasteful it may have been, as you said, at least they were releasing the carp. I always endeavor to demonstrate through example. If people see you using nets, mats to unhook the fish, weigh slings, then that opens up the chance at dialogue as to why. I have also, on more than one occasion, helped an angler land his fish (he didn't have a net), brought it over to my mat, we unhooked it, weighed it in a sling, and back she went after a cell phone photo for the happy angler. There's always a way to educate, sometimes just think outside of the simple "unpopular lecture" on how to do it.

Edited by JohnFinney

Bear in mind too, that if they were, as suspected, bass guys with cabin fever, it's highly likely that none of them even owns a landing net.

I very rarely see anglers with one and I don't believe I have ever seen one in a bass boat.

We tend to take that stuff as a given but it has to be learned from someone. I get some strange looks when folks see even the modest net I use when going for panfish and some very strange looks and questions when they see my carp net.

All we can do is provide good examples and polite explanations and hope some of it rubs off.

...W

In the case of these guys fishing, there was no chance I could speak to them about taking better care of the fish. Simply, they were on one side of the river, I was on the other.

However, I would caution anyone about trying to tell someone what to do these days, even doing it politely. The world, even along a fishing bank, is filled with nut jobs and mental cases. I know of several guys who carry guns when fishing, I met a guy fishing one night with a shotgun by his side and I know many carry knives. It just is not worth taking a chance that you will provoke someone, especially when alone in the woods.

Getting the word out in a thread such as this is a much better approach in my opinion.

Tempest is a tea pot. This is, of course, the U.S.A. isnt it? You were not only on the wrong side of the river, you're on the wrong side of the Pond to be singing this same ole tune m8. While it's OK to lead by example it is in very bad taist to counsel a native, law abiding person on what their doing no matter what. A carp is a carp, is a carp, is a carp. You can put lipstick on a Pig but it's still just a Pig. Just because the Euro anglers have no Bass to exploit and are forced to settle for a Carp, doesn't mean any one here in the states needs too. We can ifn we want too, but don't stand your soap box and preach to the choir. Yes, CAG needs to show by example but should never talk trash about the average American that is doing the best they can with the tackle and information they have. Not to mention (( It's LEGAL )).... I do think that some need to get a handle on themselves and come to grips that here in the U.S.A. a carp, is a carp, is a carp. Thats just the way it is. Now, since I'm not used to getting everything I want, it doesnt break my heart that this is just the way it is. To quote the late and great John Wayne " It's like the weather, you can't change it, you just have to live with it".

JMHO

Tom.

Let me quote one of the CAG objectives as it is listed on the front page of our website:

"To treat carp with respect, promote the release of trophy size carp and encourage others to do the same."

"To treat carp with respect, promote the release of trophy size carp and encourage others to do the same."

The message is spot on.

What we need to consider is how we spread that message without alienating or offending others.

As advocates for this message our own behaviors, postings, photographs and videos are an excellent medium to spread the word. Our conduct at the bankside, how we interact and speak with others, the care with which we treat our own captures. When we host a fish-in, or an event, everything we do is in the public eye.

IMHO it is the best vehicle we have to communicate this to others, it not shows respect for the fish not also for our fellow anglers, whom as Tom has said, are paying their license fee to fish as they choose. Did I just agree with Tom ? - think I need more coffee!

Tight-Lines,

John

John,

Well said. That is the basic message I am trying to convey here.

My suggestion would be, "Can I help? I have a net." Offer but don't insist and don't criticize their methods. As mentioned, if you have the net, mat, sling, etc. then their curiosity will give you an opportunity to tell them why you have it. Bass anglers and nets? They are not allowed in tourneys. That's why you see them lift the fish out of the water or lay down on the gunnel and lip the bass and lay the fish in the dry boat carpet.

Skeet, I like this approach. If its their first time carp fishing and on a decent carp on they maybe more receptive to your offer to help land fish. Like most fisherman they want to land it to check it out, great way to come over w/ net and maybe landing mat in tow. Good way to peek interest on tips and gear for some, still some won't get it...period. When possible this is a great approach.

Undoubtedly someone will flame me for this comment.

Don't burn spots on facebook and the like. There are other ways to promote the sport

Social media has ruined more than one fishing spot. IMO you're lucky bowfishers didn't show up

Posted · Hidden by Willem (JD), April 20, 2015 - Requested by Dave P. - Agreed to by AF Bob
Hidden by Willem (JD), April 20, 2015 - Requested by Dave P. - Agreed to by AF Bob

Dave........i fished next to you in December....you don't own an unhooking mat, and had carp being unhooked on a gravel bank........hypocritical much?

Posted · Hidden by Willem (JD), April 20, 2015 - Requested by Dave P. - Agreed to by AF Bob
Hidden by Willem (JD), April 20, 2015 - Requested by Dave P. - Agreed to by AF Bob

link to dave's blog where there are pictures of carp not on a mat!!!!!

whats that saying, state chairs in glass houses should probably get a mat?

http://ricarpfishing.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=50

Guest THE BIG WORM

Tempest is a tea pot. This is, of course, the U.S.A. isnt it? You were not only on the wrong side of the river, you're on the wrong side of the Pond to be singing this same ole tune m8. While it's OK to lead by example it is in very bad taist to counsel a native, law abiding person on what their doing no matter what. A carp is a carp, is a carp, is a carp. You can put lipstick on a Pig but it's still just a Pig. Just because the Euro anglers have no Bass to exploit and are forced to settle for a Carp, doesn't mean any one here in the states needs too. We can ifn we want too, but don't stand your soap box and preach to the choir. Yes, CAG needs to show by example but should never talk trash about the average American that is doing the best they can with the tackle and information they have. Not to mention (( It's LEGAL )).... I do think that some need to get a handle on themselves and come to grips that here in the U.S.A. a carp, is a carp, is a carp. Thats just the way it is. Now, since I'm not used to getting everything I want, it doesnt break my heart that this is just the way it is. To quote the late and great John Wayne " It's like the weather, you can't change it, you just have to live with it".

JMHO

Tom.

My hat is off to you sir, Well Said....!

I was that guy on the other side of the river 2 years ago. Didn't have a proper net. Didn't even know what a weigh sling or unhooking mat was. I practiced catch and release and cared for the fish as well as I knew how. It wasn't till my string net flipped a scale off a upper double common that I got a fish friendly net.As my interest in carp fishing grew my knowledge of carp care did also. Now I'm an obsessed carper and I've got a proper net and all the bells and whistles that go with the respect I have for Carp. I doubt anybody did it "right" the first time they fished for carp.

Here in MN carp are hated. In the winter commercial fishermen are paid to try to get as many out as possible. They use nets and remote control submarines and in one local lake took out more than 100,000 lbs of carp. I'm gonna call the guy to find out what lakes he hit the past few years so that I don't bother carp fishing there. In the article I read he said even hauling so many fish out it only takes the lake 4 or 5 years to replenish the carp population and they can go do it again.

I've seen bow fishermen come to the boat landing with their boat filled to the gills with 100 dead carp or more. They take them home and throw them in the garden for fertilizer.

If I catch a carp (I like boat ramps at lakes that aren't busy to shore fish from) and people are around they have given me crap for releasing the carp. Most people here believe its ILLEGAL to put carp back in the lake. An old law that hasn't been in effect for years.

Now I freely admit I don't use a net. Nets hurt other fish and delay the release. Maybe carp are different? I don't use an unhooking mat or put them in one of those carp beds they use when showing them off in the videos or pics.

I drag them onto the grassy or muddy shore its (no rocky shores hereabouts) only as far as I need to reach them and don't take them out of the water to unhook them.

If I start getting into BIG carp I will get a sling for weighing them.

Now while this may not be the level of care some show its the same if not more that I show other fish.

If I cared anymore I wouldn't stick hooks in their mouths and reel them in

I fish for trout sometimes. and when I go to italy, I target other fresh water species. But I am dedicated to carp fishing. Its an obsession. I have the proper landing net, mat, sling, etc. This doesn't go just for carp, but all species I catch. IMO, a fish should be returned into the water how it came out. Because I love this sport so much, I do want the best treatment for the fish. Thats just me.

Another reason why I care so much, is, here on long island, we get the meat eaters that show up, catch carp, and they start to crack them over the head and REMOVE THE SCALES of the fish with a knife right in front of you and put them in a bag. small big it doesnt matter. They literally destroyed 80% percent of the lakes on long island. so because of that, I am extra protective. I know some guys who were CAG members actually give up carp fishing bc how bad it is on long island.

Look at the bright side. They released the fish and did not kill them. That is a huge plus

Four or five years ago I got fed up with seeing people who should know better trying to weigh carp on a scale's hook and when I tried to explain that you can't really do that to any carp over about 10 lbs without ripping their face off it wasn't very well received. My answer was to order a half dozen cheap weigh slings from England off fleabay and give them away as presents. Iirc they only cost about $5 ea but whatever it was it wasn't much. The camping airbed that leaks has a shiny side that makes a decent mat placed over a piece of foam, and a twin-size cut in half makes two so I started giving those to people I thought might use them too. Showing by example doesn't always take hold but I think it works better than just criticism.

Posted · Hidden by Willem (JD), April 20, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Willem (JD), April 20, 2015 - No reason given

Parksy,

You are WAY off base to accuse me of not owning a mat. I do own one and use it WHEN NEEDED. If I am on a gravel bank or a hard surface, I use it. Most of the time I unhook the fish in the water or put them on shore on very soft or wet grass while in the net. I do take care not to mistreat them.

I don't equate sticking a boga grip into the mouth of a carp (which will maim or kill them) with the non-use of a mat on soft ground (will do little). If you don't like what's on my blog, please get off it. And, get off your high horse and stop trying to stir up trouble.

Dave

Dave I think your record of catching a few very large carp multiple times unharmed over the years speakes for itself. Also I have fished along side you and never seen a carp mistreated.