Carp Anglers Group Forums

Take the time to fill out this survey please.

accordbw

I have always been an advocate of helping others out especially in carp fishing. Even though this is half way across the country if comments are made to the fisheries when the idea presents itself it plays an impact on everywhere else if the laws change. They are looking for input in this survey so if you list items that will help carp fishing please do so. We all know the major issues we face. Just like the 3 rods you CT got. When other states already have it in place it makes it that much easier to show the state officials why it is a good idea. It is a collective effort in my opinion to help out any way you can and hopefully it will affect our future of carp fishing in a positive way.

https://www.research.net/s/5yearfishing

Edited by accordbw

Thanks Brian. Given it's a 5-year cycle here, CPW take angler feedback and use this in reviewing and setting regulations and priorities for the next half decade. It is very important that anglers get their comments submitted and voice heard. This survey is one example of what can do as CAG, coming together, as a unified force and voice, to assist in making positive change.

Tight-Lines,

John

No problem on filling out. My only question is does it really help for out of state.anglers to answer this? They ask, on purpose, to weed out non resident replies, questions to determine residency. If they wanted everybodys they wouldn't ask such questions. Anyhow, I did fill it out.

Bob, a valid point. Yet, I think it does help yes.

Colorado has a massive influx of anglers from out of state, the majority come here for the Gold Medal Trout fishing that can be had here. Why, because the state promotes and advertises trout fishing here, Colorado has the regulations and infrastructure to support fly fishermen.

It would be wonderful if anglers looking to catch pristine, wild, never caught before, common and mirror carp would consider Colorado as a carping destination. Our state has the highest elevation in the nation where you can catch carp, @9000+ft. We have stunning scenery and wildlife and some amazing State Parks and bodies of water.

Yes, we also have some strict regulations on chumming - basically, you can't do it ! PVA, it's a grey area, bordering on illegal depending on the official you ask. Packbaits - barely passable, best make sure your hook is buried into the pack. 2 rods, not 3, that is better at least than some states. Night fishing, allowable at most State Parks but not many local parks and so on.

If regulations can be changed, over time, to encourage and promote carp fishing in Colorado then hopefully it would attract more people here to fish. Are they going to "weed' our out of state responses, perhaps. I would hope they take a step back and look at not only what anglers in our state desire but also what anglers outside of our state look for when considering Colorado as a trophy fishing destination.

Here's an example of a beautiful 20 lb mirror caught this week, in frigid conditions, by one of our local anglers.

Matt Becker - Mirror Carp

Tight-Lines,

John

Edited by JohnFinney

No problem on filling out. My only question is does it really help for out of state.anglers to answer this? They ask, on purpose, to weed out non resident replies, questions to determine residency. If they wanted everybodys they wouldn't ask such questions. Anyhow, I did fill it out.

Bob, I can not vouch for CO but in PA they do not weed out non resident replies. That was one of the questions I had asked at one of the meetings. They do go through every single comment that is submitted. Technically if they did then they would be bias and if found out would not go over well in terms of state funding and other ventures.

Done. I requested that carp, suckers, and other rough fish be given the same respect and protection under the law as trout, bass, and other gamefish. Also that size and number limits be adapted consistent with the science in sustainable and trophy fishing.

Thanks Brian !

Carp are actually on the game fish list in Colorado and thus do have a small measure of protection, though there are no limits on the # that can be taken. Creel/slot limits would be a huge step forwards, if not on a statewide basis, for some of our precious trophy carp fisheries and rivers.

Appreciated - given this is a 5 year cycle for surveys, next one won't be until 2020 - I am hopefully some positive change can be made to benefit carp - will certainly provide feedback here as to what changes, if any, are a result by 2016.