Carp Anglers Group Forums
Lefty

Ask questions to local carpers

First big one. Any local carpers? Saw a couple guys post months ago? Don't see any reports! Does mass do fish- in or do I have to go to Rhode Island to meet guy that know how to do this. There's only so much you can get from the Internet !! Newbie looking for some local help!!

First big one. Any local carpers? Saw a couple guys post months ago? Don't see any reports! Does mass do fish- in or do I have to go to Rhode Island to meet guy that know how to do this. There's only so much you can get from the Internet !! Newbie looking for some local help!!

Hi Leftus

It will happen........once we have ice-free ponds and less melt-water going into the rivers. However, if you are aware of any local waters that might fit that remit right now then go for it. You don't have to be some sort of CAG illuminatus to do it.......as a Member you can just post-up your Fish-In on here with venue, date and time and there you go!

I usually provide coffee and donuts but that is certainly not a requirement.

Regards,

Iain

Yes, I'm one of those wimps staying home for now... But given the amazing quantity of water circulating through my sump pump at home in the past few days, I guess that water is indeed becoming liquid again... Mid April is usually friendly to me, although I have to wonder what it will look like this year!

What are your questions my friend?? Maybe I can answer right here.

I'm still using canned Sweetcorn with the water still pretty cold.When can I switch to the tougher maize? Do you guys use methods year round or it a seasonal or personal preference thing?

I doubt the few spots I know would be carpy enough for a fish-in. This being my first full season fishing for mostly carp I'll defer to the veterans on the fish-in thing. Though I would be willing to help in some way needed!

Leftus,

I am the RI Chairman. Yes, we have an active group down here. But, I can assure you that the MA groups are very much alive and active. Much of what I know today I owe to the MA guys and the fish-ins I attended there. They are a great group of guys.

We are still completely locked in with ice in RI. The only fishable water, the Blackstone River, is closed off due to trout stockings. I have not caught a carp in RI yet in 2015!

But, soon we will be getting out to fish as shorelines are starting to disappear.

If you ever want to get down here and sample our fishing, send me a PM. I am retired and fish just about every day.

Good luck in the new year.

Dave Pickering

As far as baits....

Sweetcorn is the hot bait in the next few weeks to a month. I will only switch to maize once the pests (turtles, bluegills, horned pout, etc) start picking the corn apart. This is fished on a hair rig with a short hooklink that is made with 50 lb. test Power Pro. In general, I do use a method ball most of the time, even in the cold.

Once the warmer weather arrives (late April/May) I will go with a lot of combo baits in which I use a kernel of artificial corn (ESP- preferably in orange, red or pink) along with some type of natural bait (maize, sweet corn, chick pea, boilie, doughball, etc.) The artificials have really increased my catches of big fish as well as numbers. I have a big article coming in On the Water Magazine in May which deals specifically with fishing combo baits. Everything you want to know about this type of carp fishing will be in the article.

I also post a lot of baiting stuff on my website, www.ricarpfishing.blogspot.com which is linked below.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks Dave . Call me Lefty please. Sign up gaff got me the us! I've been out every weekend for the last month and a half. I've been able to put a few fish to net .This weekend I was local but blanked. Just a matter of time for the fish to find the pre-bait.ilook forward to the article and meeting you and the Mass Carp Anglers.

Willem should be able to help you with that...

Call me Lefty please. Sign up gaff got me the us!

Hey Leftus,

I am based in MA south of Boston. Waiting for the ice to melt and the rivers to not be running muddy brown. I went out to check a few ponds and rivers last weekend and it's not there yet. I hope to make my first session on the 11th and 12th of April (mrs is away that weekend - yay). PM me next week if you want to join me. I am still pretty new to the US but have been carping most of my life in the UK. I cant pretend to know many of the spots, but I am sure we can find somewhere 'likely'.

The MA crowd are very welcoming. There was a fish-in last year in the late summer that was great fun and I met some good fishing buddies.

Donnyboy

Thanks Don. I'll be out of the country next week. Back on the 12th. Then it's the full court press on carp. Got a couple metro Boston spots that I've been chucking stuff at. Lefty

I just moved to MN from Maine last summer. Never got to carp fish in Maine. How is it there are carp in Mass but none in Maine?

You come to Maine and shoot our deer couldn't you have at least thrown some carp in the lakes? ;)

I just moved to MN from Maine last summer. Never got to carp fish in Maine. How is it there are carp in Mass but none in Maine?

You come to Maine and shoot our deer couldn't you have at least thrown some carp in the lakes? ;)

Hi CT

There ARE carp in Maine.......at least in the Kennebec and Saco rivers. If you have the spare time to trawl through a lot of topics posted by "Big Carphuna" you might even be able to find some pictures here on the Forum. ;)

Iain

Truly? Never heard of them being caught anywhere in ME. Course makes sense it wasn't too long ago they discovered sturgeon (Atlantic?) In the kennebec and others. We'd been catching them for years before that announcement though.

Hey Lefty, was wondering where you have been hiding lately.

Dave, how long is the Blackstone off limits? Is it just off limits for using corn?

Hey Leftus,

I am based in MA south of Boston. Waiting for the ice to melt and the rivers to not be running muddy brown. I went out to check a few ponds and rivers last weekend and it's not there yet. I hope to make my first session on the 11th and 12th of April (mrs is away that weekend - yay). PM me next week if you want to join me. I am still pretty new to the US but have been carping most of my life in the UK. I cant pretend to know many of the spots, but I am sure we can find somewhere 'likely'.

The MA crowd are very welcoming. There was a fish-in last year in the late summer that was great fun and I met some good fishing buddies.

Donnyboy

Hey Donnyboy, I am right down the street in Rockland. It would be great to catch up with you when you are out scouting the south shore. Have you tried the Taunton River? I have fished with that Lefty guy, good guy, might be new to carp but knows his fishing.

Hey Donnyboy, I am right down the street in Rockland. It would be great to catch up with you when you are out scouting the south shore. Have you tried the Taunton River? I have fished with that Lefty guy, good guy, might be new to carp but knows his fishing.

be back this weekend Chris. Probably fishing local Sunday. Let me know if you want to come my way.

Just got into carp fishing this summer and have grown a great passion for it but living on cape cod doesn't help. The Taunton river is the closest body of water with carp in it near me. Does any one fish it and if so do you have any advice?

Edited by MuddyRiver

Hi Froggy,

I am heading north of Boston this weekend but would really like to try some of the rivers south of Boston next weekend. Maybe we can meet and see ifwe can find some fish?

Donnyboy

Just got into carp fishing this summer and have grown a great passion for it but living on cape cod doesn't help. The Taunton river is the closest body of water with carp in it near me. Does any one fish it and if so do you have any advice?

Some of the Rhode Island guys do fish the Taunton river, and found some really nice fish in there. I never tried myself.

Edited by Jerome