Carp Anglers Group Forums
Matthew Goodland

Finding fish

I seem to be having trouble locating where the fish are. They don't seem to be showing on the surface to much and not much signs of them feeding on the bottom. Anyone have any advice on this? It would be greatly appreciated.

I'd try pre-baiting. Still pretty early for the fish to be real active I would think .Free food might get them into the area you want to fish. Probably don't need a lot but something going in on a regular basis would up your chances of finding fish.

Thanks man. I have been using my spomb to bait up the area I'm fishing but i think you're right. I need to try prebaiting the night before. I have just been fishing erratically so far this season. Haven't really had to much time. so I kinda go when I can, hopefully in the next week or so things will slow down so I can send some time doing some planing. And lefty I met you before at felshmere last season hahahaha

Ya same here. The spomb rules, although we were fishing a good distance the other day and i thought it was going to take my finger off when I was feathering it down so I could clip the line in my reel for the distance haha so beware off the line. It hurts hahaha mostly my own fault.

Have to get/use a finger stall, Matthew! Can use some light work gloves as well...

It is hard to find them at this time of the year. Try to locate relatively shallow areas which are warmed by the sun in the morning (the kind of areas which thawed first). Carp are like us, they need some warmth after a tough winter. A bit of an inflow bringing nutrients wouldn't hurt.

I had always read that the northern areas warm first. Good luck! You realize you have committed to posting pictures of your catch.

I was only tossing mine maybe 40yd out but I could see if bombing way out finger stall would be key... Seen them about $8 @ BCT... Need to get one to keep in carp pack........