Carp Anglers Group Forums
Jason DeFreitas

Hello from Dumfries, Va

Hey folks,

Few of you guys know me. Most probably not. I've lurked, been on here at a few points and time throughout the years but never really stuck due to my lack of commitment for carp as opposed to bass. With the pressured bass waters around here and lack of a boat, I've come to really enjoy carp fishing more the last two seasons and it's safe to say it has definitely become my fish of choice to go for in this area.

Some of the spots I frequent are Fort Belvoir on the Potomac, Bull Run Regional Park, and Riverside Park on the GW. My PB to date is only 13lbs 2ozs from Lake Huntsman. Sadly the lake was drained and I haven't been able to find out anywhere if the carp were moved to Mercer with the other fish (doubtful) or left to die. I did catch a 13lb 1oz the other day at Riverside that came close to besting my PB, but just shy. Great fight and first carp of the season though nonetheless.

Want to personally thank Matt Latzo and Luke Nichols for their tutoring and support over the last week, trying to get me psyched up for these fish. Plan on upgrading gear this winter and already have a combo lined up I think I'm going to be very happy with for a beginner rig.

Anyway, next outing is this Friday. Heading up to Lake Shenandoah to try and get into some of the 15+ lbers out that way. Hear fish up to 25 - 28 have been hauled in there in the past and seems like it doesn't see a lot of anglers. Plus it looks peaceful as all get out.

FYI - I'm Mr. simple. I fish common spinning rig set-ups more geared for cats and such, and thread corn up my line a bit and onto the hook. Nothing special. Kinda on a tight budget and only get to purchase fishing items a couple times a year due to family obligations (family man), and another expensive hobby (Magic the Gathering).

Enough about me. I'm back, I do PLAN to stay and I'm hoping to hook up with the lot of you at some point. Thanks for having me and love the addition of the FB sign-in ;). I'm a FB junkie.

Some of my top fish. Small in comparison to the legends on this site :D. The bottom right is the one I caught Sunday.

post-8993-0-39204400-1429711100_thumb.jp

post-8993-0-95262600-1429711105_thumb.jp

post-8993-0-87037800-1429711108_thumb.jp

post-8993-0-40676600-1429711111_thumb.jp

Edited by Jason DeFreitas

Also, looking for a fishing partner Friday if anyone wants to meet me out at the lake. I'll be there from roughly 845am - 4pm. Love to see some of ya'll if you're free. Sure I could a thing or two, or a billion...

Haha.

Welcome to the forum and the world of carping! Your rig sounds like a basic outfit. If it works, don't change it. I have caught most of my carp on plain flavored canned corn. Thanks for the pictures, BTW.

Welcome to forum. I too was an avid bass angler fishing many tournaments (even some at pro level). Got tired of the attitude that alot of the new bass guys were having. My son and I statred fishing carp together (at his constant request) and we kept it simple, 9 foot spining rod, sinker and hook. We did not have alarms or any carp gear for that matter, but we rigged up 1 1/2 pvc pipe, cut the bottom on an angle and drove this in the ground, put the rod butt in the top, loosened the drag (no bait runner at that time) and fished like this for a couple of years (worked great). New gear came slow, often presents for x-mas, over the years it's amazing how your gear can build up. I still fish for many species of fish but carp fishing is great becuse I can enjoy it with my whole family. Keep fishing!

Love the story Oburg. Sounds exactly like my situation. We certainly can relate and hope we share many stories over the upcoming days/months/years ahead regarding the thrilling experience of chasing these very sporty fish. Appreciate the comments sir!