Carp Anglers Group Forums

Great day fishing but also a little disturbing.

Landed 7 fish today all good sized might have even caught a new PB. But I was alone so didn't want to go thru the whole land, weigh, pic thing.

Disturbing thing was that on the lake about 100 yds away from me on the dock of people who live on the lake they were catching a bunch too. Then killing them.

They would reel the carp up to their dock then another person would spear the carp with a fish spear then they carried it over and tossed into their bonfire. Really sad thing was the older teenagers showed some little kids how to do it. Boy and girl couldn't have been more than 10 yrs old they would run out all excited to spear the carp then dance around in joy and the parents would congratulate them on a job well done ? Really sickening to see.

At least their gear was small enough that they lost the bigger ones they hooked.

damn that sucks. I have a similar thing going on here. I have a small pond next to my house. Basically, my dad taught me how to fish at this lake. I have a lot of memories there and to this day, I fish it every now and then. Been a very very long time.

The reason why I stopped fishing it, is because the carp population has died off. we get the russians from the city who come to this lake and kill every single carp they catch. They take the carp, crack it over the head, and start to take off the scales with a knife right at the bank and then bag the fish. Its sickening and I have had my share of fights with them at this lake.

Im sure lots of guys know scott o. He used to travel down to long island and fish. He told me that they sell the carp at the markets. Not all, but some. This is why long island carp fishing has declined and will continue to decline every single year. No one can stop it and carp fishing is almost done on the island. Its to the point that a few carp anglers actually sold there gear and stopped fishing for carp. There is no more desire. You buy all this carp gear, bait, and your time to pursue what you love the most and at the end, there is no reward. Its either you catch a 10lb carp or blank day in and day out because there is nothing to haul.

Its like building a 1000hp car and having no drag strip. You cant use it.

I fish at a small lake in New Rochelle and I saw a guy do the same thing last season. He caught it and cut/cleaned it up right at the side of the lake. I wonder if that's against NY f&g regulations?

At least in those scenarios the fish are being utilized. Still sucks dead is dead. But just the wanton killing for no reason other than to kill them makes it worse.

If they were killing them and cleaning them to eat. I wouldn't have felt bad. Not enough people here willing to eat them that the populations will ever be threatened by meat eaters.

But even if they were putting them in the garden for fertilizer while still distasteful is not like stabbing them then then throwing them in the fire.

killing them for no reason is stupid. I agree. But like you said, not enough people to ruin the population so you can still fish and have prime spots. here on long island, Lakes are being fished out. we, the carp anglers, have no where to fish anymore. I can take you to some of the big named waters here and your lucky to catch a carp. A 20lb carp on long island is like catching a 50lb carp. Its unlikely. people on this forum catch 20lb carp like its going out of style. Not the case here. robm, you can contact him on here if you want, is making petitions for long island to stop the killing. Its that bad. Every lake you go to, the meat eaters are there with the salt water rods slowly chipping away at the population.

so, this is just as bad if not worse than what you saw. People are SELLING there carp gear because there is nowhere to enjoy anymore. I gave up carp fishing a few years ago and was willing to sell my stuff. For anyone living on the island, if we want to fish for carp, real carp fishing, we have to travel north. gas, tolls, long trips. Half the lakes here are also private and cannot fish. I can't promote CAG here. I try though.

Imagine if a big portion of minnesota was being fished out and all your spots were dead. whether it was killing them for fun or for fertilizer. You would be pissed lol.

Quick story. I spoke to a local resident in a certain town here that will remain nameless. He told me, a certain lake in that area, had an abundant population of 30lb carp. He would catch them. It was his little honey hole. Teen size carp were everywhere as well. The brooklyn crew found out, and he said one day he saw them back up there pick up truck and load carp. He said he saw them pull out the 30 lbers as well. Yea he fought with them and one time it came to almost blows. Today, he said if he catches one 10lb carp from that lake he is happy. His favorite honey hole was destroyed and still is. Its going to take a long time to bring back those fish.

I tell everyone. If you dont live here, its hard to understand. Now if you want to drive a lambo, and blow 50 grand on clothes in a half hr, long island is for you. Beverly hills has nothing on nassau county.

I fish at a small lake in New Rochelle and I saw a guy do the same thing last season. He caught it and cut/cleaned it up right at the side of the lake. I wonder if that's against NY f&g regulations?

Not sure. I know that the meat eaters are making there way up to the westchester area.

Wow that's crazy. Minnesota must be the prime habitat to produce carp. They net them, we got the bowfishers, they thought channel cats would eat them so they introduced them to lakes to try and get rid of carp. They've electrocuted, and poisoned whole lakes. Plus 99.9% of fisherman kill every carp they catch. BUT they are still everywhere.

There are some streams and rivers they are so thick you could walk across their backs to the other side.

The commercial fisherman will haul a 100,000 lbs out of a lake and there are still carp in there and 5 yrs later they can go back to the same lake and do it again.

Doesn't hurt that there's like 10,000 lakes. But I think due to farm runoff algae grows really good in the lakes that the carp have lots to eat.

Literally the lakes are all glass clear right now but come summer when farming is at its peak the lakes get opaque green to some of them you can't see 6 inches into the water.

I feel bad for you guys losing your habitats. But hey come to Minnesota. 10,000 lakes and I believe the lowest rate of unemployment in the country ;)

Plus I ain't seen one russian!

i dont know why russians like eathing carp ... a small pond near home - i stop by to see some people fishing .. age in 60's . catching lots of carp .. small ones <5lb.. they had may be 8 rods between 3 of them .. in very short time i see they had more than a dozen of carp .. they unhook the fish bang the head on dock.. the other guy clean and cut fish which goes into a bucket .. i had a small chat with one he says some days they catch 50+ fish ..woops...

I went few days later just to check the depth .. its very shallow across 3-4feet only.. I didnt go there i guess its all smallies there...

I always dread when people show up while I'm fishing. They ask what am I fishing for because my gear is different. So when I tell them they treat me like I'm a mental patient on a day pass. Or if they see me catch a carp they go ballistic when I let it go. 1\2 because they believe its against the law to put rough fish back in the lake once caught. Which is wrong that law hasn't been in effect for years. The other 1\2 because they hate carp and feel they are ruining their beloved walleye fishing.

They never consider that their walleyes are declining because everybody keeps them to eat. Hell they are on the menu of every restaurant in Minnesota! Much like Maine with trout and salmon if the MN DNR didn't stock walleyes in lakes there wouldn't be any. I have never met a Minnesotan walleye angler who was a catch and release angler. Not one. They destroy their own fisheries not the carp!

Take advantage when folks show up. There aren't many fish in North America that can scream a drag like a carp. I fish walleye, crappie, gills and I like a good fish fry. But the carp is different. Elusive, wary, challenging, and pound for pound hard to beat for entertainment. I was once converted. I've converted three in the last couple of years. It's one at a time.