Carp Anglers Group Forums

Yesterday I was checking out a new piece of water and found the carp starting to spawn. There were 3 smaller skinnier fish(males?) chasing a bigger fatter fish.female?) do you guys fish during the spawn? It was just one small isolated group. I'm assuming they don't all spawn at the same time. This is my first spring targeting carp and don't want to do anything stupid but I'd like to continue fishing during this period.

Like you said not all down at the same time so you can still catch. Try to find a break to deeper water not to far outside where they're spawning and you could catch the pre/post spawn fish. They have a prestage area normally in relation to deeper water.

The makes follow the female and use their bodies and environment to smash into her to get the eggs released. Can get pretty violent sometimes.

It'll be a tough bite but you can still catch, coming from experience.

You saw them spawning already? Hm, this is quite early for MA, usually it's early June... If I were you, I'd try another place, maybe with deeper water, they definitely do not all spawn at the same time, notably venue to venue.

(and I had a great session myself yesterday - finally!)

Hi Lefty

I agree with Jerome. We've only had a couple of genuinely hot days in Eastern Mass since the thaw. This might be enough to get a few fish in shallow ponds a bit frisky.

However, I would be surprised to see major spawning activity before late May or early June unless we have a good run of very hot weather before then.

Iain

(and I had a great session myself yesterday - finally!)

Congratulations Jerome. I too finally managed to fool a few over the W/E.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Iain

Very shallow extension of the muddy river. They were doing it again yesterday.havent seen it anyplace else.