Carp Anglers Group Forums
Jaffar Syed

Hook Size to Bait Size > Fish

For last few sessions - I switched to smaller hooks - size 8 , I usally go with Size 4 pref or size 6 . for last few years i been catching fish upto 18 lb max . I fish the river here in shallow area's from 3-6 feet deep.

from last two sessions with sz 8 hook i feel I have lost just 2 fish out of 20+ i landed

Hook Size 8 - Hair - Flavored Maize - 20/22mm boilie

Im kinda confused - doing google i read small hook fish loss /hook pulls etc rate high ? but in my case it was other way around small hooks worked well in my case .

Now -

to target biggies - what hook size / boilie size to use ? assuming the big ones are around in same location ..

Should i look for deeper waters ?

I sometime think i should use some popup of 30m on size 2 hook ? - have anyone used big bait and avoided smaller ones ?

Hook to bait size!

not hook to fish size!!!

I can catch and not loose fish with a 8 even 10 hook. If i do its a line snap or snag 98% no hook pull. latley small hooks have been my thing of course ill have 1 corn or a plastic. Or 2 or 1 and 1 either way.

Sharpness of the hook is more important and of course rig mechanics.

A strong larger hook (4, 2) is useful for snaggy swims, but other than that I agree with Cristian.

I dont know about size but i am now a big believer in hook shape!

I have like 200 wide gap choddy style hooks. I had a few Teflon coated curved shank hooks. With farming not yet under full swing the lake I fish is crystal clear right now as opposed to murky green with farm runoff. The wide gaps are like a black chrome. So with the clear water, the bottom is blackish green, I went with the black Teflon coated curve shanks.

The amazing thing is I caught 10+ fish that day and every one the fish was hooked dead center of the bottom lip. Like perfectly every time.

I immediately ordered a bunch when I got home.

I'm kind of confused when it comes to the term "hook pull" describe a hook pull? I fish both paylake and wildwater, in all of my years of fishing wildwater i have yet to lose a wild fish due to a "hook pull" if my idea of a hook pull is everyone else's. I've brought in every carp I've ever hooked in wildwater unless it managed to find a hang and I had to break off. In paylakes I've lost hundreds of fish, mostly due in part to bad mouths on the fish from being caught very often, or the like. Carps mouths also soften up in warm water therefore making it easier for them to pull the hook. I've never noticed this in wildwater though.

I fish with a size 1 scorpion tackle paylake special.

I've caught many carp on size 18 hooks using trout flies. I've had 2 total pop off in my life. I've lost way more fish using larger hooks fishing euro style.

I've caught many carp on size 18 hooks using trout flies.

WOW

Hook pulls I feel are more about the anglers technique, rod action, and line (braid vs mono). I have also significantly improved my fishing more with sharpening my hooks then the pattern or the specific rig.

There is a quite convincing argument that you suffer less hook pulls with a smaller hook because once it is in it sticks and has much less movement compared to that of a larger hook (depending on the hook hold obviously)...I'm not sure of the physics of it but it seems to make sense...having said that if I could choose, and had the fish of a lifetime hooked, I'd prefer it was on a size one rather than an 18...

I fish size 8 hooks 90% of the time. Never had a hook pull. I have had hook pulls with 6 and 4's.

2/0 wide bend. It goes all the way through, comes out and reenters the jaw on the outside. No problem with hook pulls.

I only fish with barbless hooks and 8 is about as big as I usually go, but as mentioned above I think that hook size needs to relate to the bait. However my fishing is very technical...I use corn 90% of the time... When I fish bread or spam, hook size would go up a bit. Unlike others, I do believe hook pattern makes a difference and I find my catch to drop rate has gone up markedly recently since I changed patterns...from Kamasan "Animal" to Korum Xpert power.

I too have caught 25lb + carp on 18's, but how many of you have seen an 18 rip the carps mouth from the back of the throat right through to the lip where it finally took hold. Some of those big carp would take me over 60 minutes to land on 18's to 2lb line. This happened to me a few times on the river Main in Germany..and I had to hold the fish upright for an age before it was strong enough to swim off.I was not fishing for carp by the way.

I do believe that a bigger hook is better for the fish. Here in GA where (at least for me) 20's are quite rare, 8's and 10's do me fine...even in snag pits...all I do is up the line strength, so I stand a chance.

Cheers

Tony