Carp Anglers Group Forums
Pawel Sander

Only in Baldwinsville...

Little help for the new guys?

Hot Damn!!! Looking good guys! Met one would really like to meet the other! Kick azz take names!

Little help for the new guys?

Tom Brooks & Scott Osmond.................

& from the Merriam Webster dictionary:

legend:

: a story from the past that is believed by many people but cannot be proved to be true

: a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well

: a list that explains the symbols on a map

big can of worms here........anybody else care to elaborate/add insight????

Edited by KingKool

Tom Brooks & Scott Osmond.................

& from the Merriam Webster dictionary:

legend:

: a story from the past that is believed by many people but cannot be proved to be true

: a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well

: a list that explains the symbols on a map

big can of worms here........anybody else care to elaborate/add insight????

I will...on the left is Tom Brooks..a true gentleman, a great pack bait maker and staunch and vociferous defender of this American tradition....on the right is Scott Osmond, winner of one of the biggest tournament cash prizes in American carp angling history, has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of big carp venues and habitats nationwide...

Thanks guys! Thought that looked like Scott. Never met him but have gone down memory lane in our reports. Glad to see he's still active .

Was before my time but wasnt scott banned or something for lying about fishing weights most or all the time?

Over Estimating carp?

I seen lots of his catches some are great some look like he put fish all the way up which were actually 5lb or more smaller.

never met him but sucks for anyone he affected while Doing that.

maybe hes great will like to meet any of them

Was before my time but wasnt scott banned or something for lying about fishing weights most or all the time?

Over Estimating carp?

I seen lots of his catches some are great some look like he put fish all the way up which were actually 5lb or more smaller.

Regardless of any foibles he is a great carp angler...multi species too...I was fishing with him once, free lining bread, just using a largish hook. A big bass kept swirling in front of us, feeding on some small fish. He tipped his hook with a tiny piece of bread and immediately caught one of the small feeder fish...he lip hooked it, cast it out and instantly hooked and landed the biggest bass I've ever seen on the bank...the whole process took about five minutes...quite amazing stuff...

This photo made my day! Sort of a wild-bromance element to it......especially knowing that the protagonists have certainly crossed E-swords on this Forum more than once. :)

More seriously.....if Tom and Scott were to actually team-up on the competitive carp-fishing circuit I could definitely see them taking some serious moolah from a lot of folks. As Mark suggests, they definitely boast complementary skill sets.

Iain

I've never met either man, but in one way or another, I owe both of them my thanks.

I would never have joined CAG, had it not been for Scott's dad, Vaughn. Back in 2008 he was doing some consulting work for a co-worker in the company where I was working, and learned that I enjoyed carp fishing. We talked several times while he was at our location -- he even bragged on Scott's accomplishments -- then he put me in touch with Horace ("Ol Captain"), who convinced me to join CAG.

As for feeling indebted to Tom, I'm sure that I'm just one of the many, many US carp anglers who have benefitted from Tom's great bait recipes. Thanks "a million" for sharing, Tom!

...and I was lucky one who took this picture :)

It's always good to see you on the bank Pawel. See ya in October. Hope we get pegged beside one another.

Regards

Tom.

Two great anglers. Nice photo, I was glad Scot took some time and paid me a couple of visits. We had time a bit to talk of old times and old friends. Always looking forward to Tom. Hope were all back in the Fall.

Had a great session today. Fiance caught a dandy 30 plus. What brings it all together for me..... Mr. Brooks was kind enough to share his rolled oats packbait recipe with a carp crazed newbie (more than a few years ago) who is still using it just like i was taught! The hooklink was taught to me by Ed Sheffield at Eds Bait up in Waddington on St. Lawrence. He described it as a modified "Osmond" lol. Simple, easy to tie, and very effective. Small world eh?

Over Estimating carp?

he may have done stuff I don't know. But when I go back to when he was active it looks like this was the place to be. Mass CAG was rocking and Scott was the reason. Looks to me like Scott was a big part of a lot of people's carp angling success. People that important don't get banned for no good reason. Must have been an awful time here when that was happening!! Terrible loss!

he may have done stuff I don't know. But when I go back to when he was active it looks like this was the place to be. Mass CAG was rocking and Scott was the reason. Looks to me like Scott was a big part of a lot of people's carp angling success. People that important don't get banned for no good reason. Must have been an awful time here when that was happening!! Terrible loss!

Lefty, I noticed the exact same thing! The Mass section was really one of the most active spots on the whole forum, with people posting every day... and like you said, Scott was a big part why. There were like a dozen threads started a week, often more, detailing reports, hot baits, where to be, etc. I definitely learned a lot about local venues and carping in general from going through Scott's old posts. In the meantime, we need to get the Mass CAG back to what it once was!

Lefty, I noticed the exact same thing! The Mass section was really one of the most active spots on the whole forum, with people posting every day... and like you said, Scott was a big part why. There were like a dozen threads started a week, often more, detailing reports, hot baits, where to be, etc. I definitely learned a lot about local venues and carping in general from going through Scott's old posts. In the meantime, we need to get the Mass CAG back to what it once was!

Change starts from within..... CAG should not go "back" but move forward.

Good point Todd. Well said!

Not talking about going anywhere!! Just made an observation.

Not talking about going anywhere!! Just made an observation.

My fault; not trying to derail this thread. Point is it seems like they did some great stuff for carp angling!

I honestly believe thats CAG's strength was the ability to attract and retain some very smart,active, and dedicated to the sport as they know it, anglers. When two or more sides of a topic begin to debate, it might not be very pretty but the outcome is priceless. Sorry to say that a lot of members started to blame the banter on everything from membership to outing partisapation. Well, I would never say that those in charge wern't doing what they thought was the very best for CAG, I believe they did what they truley believed to be best for the club, so, CAG is now a product of what most members thought they wanted at the time. I would only add that most anglers are the bigest crybabys you would ever meet. Nothing is a product of their misstakes but a problem that someone else caused. It's called human nature I guess and not limited to carp angling. Sort of like how bait or location make an angler win or loose an event. So on and so on. Being able to admitt that the carp wanted something that an angler didn't know of or a rig that would help the presentation that the angler didn't know how to use, ( a drop lead ) for instance , and admitting that the angler himself is directly responsible for the catch, is a very good start. Sorry for the banter but everyone being of like mind does not cause a dialog, its called a monolog. CAG is a direct product of what we have made it period. Not to blame anyone but everyone, including myself.

Regards

Tom.

GUS.