Carp Anglers Group Forums
Richie B

Bait Casting Rod Recommendation

Carpers/Paylakers: Richie B here.Have been an Euro style carper for over 15 years. I looking to give the paylaker style of fishing a go.I have an Abu Garcia 1600 series baitcasting reel (w/clicker),and have bought a paylaker rod holder from a N.C. vendor.I now need a recommendation on a baitcasting rod to complete the package.Would prefer to keep the cost of the rod to around $100.00.

Thanking you all in advance----------Tight lines-------Richie B

Buckeye Bob: Thanks for your reply. Do you know what length and power they use? Looks like the 7 1/5 foot with the MH power would be good. But,what do I know--------ask the fisherman who uses them. Thanks----Richie B

I use the bionic blades along with the Extreme rods.

Tom.

Buckeye Bob: Thanks for your reply. Do you know what length and power they use? Looks like the 7 1/5 foot with the MH power would be good. But,what do I know--------ask the fisherman who uses them. Thanks----Richie B

I'll defer to Mr Big for a recommendation on the Bionic Blades. I use some older rods that are no longer available.

My impression, and I trust Mr Big to correct my if I'm wrong, is that most use the 7'6" Heavy rods.

Like Bob, my rods are old but still in very good condition. The Bass Pro extremes are a flippin stick. very light 7'6" but the backbone of a large rod. I've used mine for more years than I care to say. I used them to take first second and third at B-ville.

Tom.

Thanks for the information that I have received so far. I'm hoping Mr Big will reply once again on the length and power on the Bionics or the Extremes. Tight lines to all-------Richie B

The bionic blades are 7'6" heavy action 3/8 to 2oz 12-30lb test. The extremes are 7'6" heavy action 3/8-2oz 12-30lb test line. both are bass pro rods.

Getting my start in bass fishing seeing all the TV hosts and the pros using baitcasters made me want one.

I've tried several times throughout my life to use one and god dammit I just can't cast them. At least not like I can a spinning rod.

Maybe its time to try again......

They are much easier to use than the old knucklebusters that us old timers started with. The newer reels have magnetic brakes that stop the spool or slow it down at the end of the cast. Still, I keep the brake loose and use my highly educated thumb as a brake. Old habits never die, I guess. One thing is that you will have to change the brake if you change to a different weight lure or bait. Instructions with some of my reels say to put the lure on and loosen the brake just so the line starts to feed out slowly. Experiment and lots of practice plus it's a good excuse to go fishing more often.

Interesting. Some competitors, fishing and long distance casting, coat the metal gears and shafts in the reel with valve grinding compound or something similar. They put compressed air to the handle and turn it at high speed. This polishes the metal to cut down on friction. Then they use a very light oil or graphite to lube the reel.

Thanks for the information that I have received so far. I'm hoping Mr Big will reply once again on the length and power on the Bionics or the Extremes. Tight lines to all-------Richie B

7ft 6in heavy action telescopic rods, I prefer the bass pro graphite series for $39.99 as I've never had a problem with them and when fishing with 4 rods at most times anything more exspensive is just a luxury I don't possess. Anyhow bionics and extremes are a smoother more Cadillac feel kind of rod. Goodluck

915 feet is the record with a 5 oz weight. Baitcasters are more accurate and can cast further. Just harder to get good with them.