Carp Anglers Group Forums

Catch and Release Carp Proposal

We need your help. The Mayor of Waddington NY, Janet Otto-Cassada wants to make Waddington's waters on the St Lawrence River Catch and Release Only for carp fishing. She needs letters of support to show to the Fish Advisory Board and the Senator's office. This first step could be duplicated in other water across the country. Please take a few minutes and write a letter to her office. The letter can be written or typed but it needs to be signed. Please contact friends and family members to join in this effort.

Thanks

AF Bob

Please send to:

Janet Otto-Cassada Mayor

The Village of Waddington, NY

I would also like to do an online petition. If you can set help set this up, please contact me at (315) 323-4632

CAG needs to help out the mayor asap and in a structured fashion:

- Draft a standard letter for people to print and sign

- Set up the online petition

- Launch a media campaign raising awareness for the issue

CAG needs to become much more active in Public Affairs Management.

I agree with Mario.

If the letter is something that members could simply print via PDF, fill out a name and address, and then sign; the participation rate will be much higher.

At the very minimum, posting an example letter that could be copy and pasted into a Word document and mailed would also work pretty well.

CAG needs to help out the mayor asap and in a structured fashion:

- Draft a standard letter for people to print and sign

- Set up the online petition

- Launch a media campaign raising awareness for the issue

CAG needs to become much more active in Public Affairs Management.

Agreed - We need to be proactive in this rather than reactive.

We also need to be very careful how we promote this as the CAG Facebook page still has several bowhunters on it who could just as easily send many more letters objecting to this proposal.

I have submitted a proposal to the CAG BOD for a letter that could be signed by members and others.

As soon as we have something for ciriculation I will post it.

Hope we don't get all wrapped up in "how to" and not get done what has been requested. The Mayor already appears to be making the proposal and having done so is just looking for our support.

To Whom it may concern,

As a long time carp angler and one who has enjoyed the trophy carp in your area, I fully support Mayor Janet Otto-Cassada's proposal of Catch and Release carp fishing in your area. I've seen such great joy in faces, young and old, fishing the St Lawrence carp and know of many carp anglers who have your location on their "Bucket List" to fish for carp.

SIGNED

We used to joke in the Army, mainly because it was true , that there was a big difference in officers and NCO's. Example: Commander would say "I want everyone to dig foxholes." The officers would have 3 staff meetings on all aspects of digging foxholes...when they finally decided to issue the order, the NCO's already had it done.

Is there any "Science" behind this proposal?

I understand the desire to protect large fish, and would be willing to support catch and release for Trophy size fish as the it makes sence and reflects the purpose of the club. But restrictions on Carp without the same on their natural predators to amintain the same ratios could create an ecological imbalance resulting in smaller and more carp in the future.....the opposite of what everyone wants. As big as those waters are....they are still just a big fishbowl and "laws of man" to appease certain folks or as a thank you for folks traveling to a region to fish won't change the "laws of nature" and what happens when you allow predators to be removed but not the juvenile of the species they keep in check.

Also, providing for a slot or smaller fish creel limit on carp would result in less blow back later from other anglers, and by CAG taking the leed in making sure there is the opportunity to take carp in safer to eat sizes (under 12#) we would appear to be sensible and fair....an image CAG could benifit from when trying to negotiate on other waters in the future....

Is there any "Science" behind this proposal?

I understand the desire to protect large fish, and would be willing to support catch and release for Trophy size fish as the it makes sence and reflects the purpose of the club. But restrictions on Carp without the same on their natural predators to amintain the same ratios could create an ecological imbalance resulting in smaller and more carp in the future.....the opposite of what everyone wants. As big as those waters are....they are still just a big fishbowl and "laws of man" to appease certain folks or as a thank you for folks traveling to a region to fish won't change the "laws of nature" and what happens when you allow predators to be removed but not the juvenile of the species they keep in check.

Also, providing for a slot or smaller fish creel limit on carp would result in less blow back later from other anglers, and by CAG taking the leed in making sure there is the opportunity to take carp in safer to eat sizes (under 12#) we would appear to be sensible and fair....an image CAG could benifit from when trying to negotiate on other waters in the future....

Agreed - My letter proposal is aimed at the 'catch & release' of all trophy fish (not just carp).

Hope we don't get all wrapped up in "how to" and not get done what has been requested. The Mayor already appears to be making the proposal and having done so is just looking for our support.

To Whom it may concern,

As a long time carp angler and one who has enjoyed the trophy carp in your area, I fully support Mayor Janet Otto-Cassada's proposal of Catch and Release carp fishing in your area. I've seen such great joy in faces, young and old, fishing the St Lawrence carp and know of many carp anglers who have your location on their "Bucket List" to fish for carp.

SIGNED

We used to joke in the Army, mainly because it was true , that there was a big difference in officers and NCO's. Example: Commander would say "I want everyone to dig foxholes." The officers would have 3 staff meetings on all aspects of digging foxholes...when they finally decided to issue the order, the NCO's already had it done.

Getting it done is as important as getting the right message delivered.

Since this has gone public on Facebook etc i'm sure there will also be counter letters from parties who do not share the C&R view point.

Agreed - My letter proposal is aimed at the 'catch & release' of all trophy fish (not just carp).

I wasn't aware they were looking for proposals...just support of their local proposal that they came up with.

Since this has gone public on Facebook etc i'm sure there will also be counter letters from parties who do not share the C&R view point.

I'm sure the bow fishermen in the local area have already gathered their support.

It also went public as soon as it was posted here.

If your including other species it will be imperative to get it right. The concerns of how bow anglers may respond is nothing compared to the firestorm the fishing industry and local guides and shops will bring if the efforts affect regular anglers including those who keep fish to eat or as trophys.

Some of the city controlled waters here and even the state controlled waters have added the ability for anglers to aquire a trophy tag to allow them to keep one large fish by using an annual or by use tag. Most likely your carp anglers will release their fish, but your bigger game fish anglers desire to keep their biggest will be affected if their are no options for them and the anglers and the industry will push back.....if there are no options. Also, an occasional big fish making it to a wall does act as advertising for the water and region it came from. In the case of musky, bass and even flathead catfish we are seeing the the rules limited to one fish per day over certain lengths. On the more size sensitive fish like sturgeon, tarpon and others a yearly tag to take one has worked well at a cost/no cost depending on the intent and financial needs to implement the management program. It provides for sound management without taking away the anglers rite to keep a trophy to show off every once in a while......win/win.

Combined with a catch and release pin/sticker option from the city or local business association, the changes could be used as a marketing tool for the city to promote their fisheries and Tourism destination.

Is there a plan to reach out to the many other C&R Carp organizations that aren't CAG affiliated? Common causes often bring folks back together?....at least opens door for conversations and shows CAG as a leading organization.

The fly fishing groups should be contacted via CAG leadership. I know there's at least one carp fly fishing guide on lake Michigan. CAG will need all the troops on our side that we can get.

Great feedback. The Mayor is only looking at making her waters catch and release for carp fishing. Waddington loves carp fishing and host numerous events. The letter is a great idea but we should focus on carp. She has a plan in place, she just needs to show support for the idea.

Thanks

AF Bob

Edited by AF Bob

We are still looking for letters from our group! Please take a few minutes to have your voice heard. This can be a start for change in other states.

Thanks

Bob

I have contacted our local municipal government, our ministry of natural resources and the Parks Board at Long Sault. Most if not all municipalities have by laws against the discharge of firearms with in city limits, bows are considered firearms under these laws. There is no bow fishing allowed with in park boundaries as well. I contacted our Ministry of Natural Resources over this matter. When it comes to bow hunting the ministry cautions bow hunters that they need to check that they are legal when hunting in or near municipal boundaries. They do not caution BFrs. I am asking that they do this. Bowfishing here is not as popular as in the US. There is a 3 month season May through July during daylight hours only. BF'rs are also supposed to not waste what they harvest under the regulations.The truth is carp here in Ontario are protected by the same laws that protect all fish. You cannot snag, use a speargun or net carp without a commercial license. You cannot just throw them up on the bank to rot.