Carp Anglers Group Forums

Just joined the site last week. I'm in the north west suburbs of Minneapolis (Champlin/Brooklyn Park area). Have been carping for year years and am loving it. While most guys are trying to catch walleyes in this state, I prefer my canvas chair and a good book, while waiting for my reels to start screaming.

Am always up for meeting new carp fishermen/women. I normally fish the Mississippi (north suburbs, saint paul etc). Near really had good luck fishing the lakes for carp.

I also enjoy fishing for large catfish, bowfin, northern's etc. Pretty much anything that put's up a good fight.

Fish like me because they get to go back home and watch tv after I release them..... :titanic:

I hear that all the time, Minnesota river, Mississippi river, even the crow river. Do you realize those river meander through the whole damn state! I need coordinates, specific spots.

I'm all about catching fish, I have spots (including my back yard) that I'm guaranteed to catch fish. With my limited free time prospecting unknown waters has little appeal to me.

I know ..i know.. catchup with a group who are into cats ... they do some tournaments ...my friend there is no guarantee spot for big fish.. unless u are fishing some euro lake like Gigantic a for few days..

and those guys who catch those big ones would not share the GPS co's :D .

In a past life, I regularly fished the MN river between Mankato and Fort Ridgley. Very nice flatheads to 60lb. Very nice mosquitoes to 2-3 lbs.

I work in New Ulm so skipping over to Mankato after work could be a plan. Got an exact spot or area? Also what did you use for bait? I've never fished for catfish before???

Buffalo - St croix down by stillwater where the excel energy plant is. Not sure what is like nowadays since the silver and big head carp started to show.

Catfishermen are worse than secretive teenagers when it comes to giving up their their spots. I used to do a lot of catfishing and still throw out chunk of cut bait from time time. I mainly fish the Mississippie. Best shore spots are downstream from dams and spillways. Best bait for me has always been strips of cut bait or live bullheads (under 8 inches allowed in MN).

Here is a really good catfish thread (http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/forum/57-catfish/). There is a TON of information on this thread. The site also has fishing reports and people offering up open seats on their boats for catfishing.

Catfishing is a different kind of thrill. You sit at dusk or in the dark and wait for a big thump on your line. Then every 2 mins, you feel like you are dragging a log, before it pulls in a little more line.

Once the water levels go down a bit more, I will probably start hitting the mississippi for some cats. This year, I only have 2-3 under my belt.

Hey CT. I lived in New Ulm back in the 90’s and fished that river for cat’s a lot. Bait of choice was tail hooked creek chubs in the 6 inch range. The bigger and fatter the better. That river is pretty fluid from year to year with where snags lay as well as good holes. So what was there 15 years ago is certainly different today. I had the best luck fishing New Ulm and up the river to the NW. Boat is by far the way to go but start with one that already has a dent or two and watch for snags. There are a number of access points for shore fishing but they get hit pretty hard. You will need to bust some serious brush to get away from the pressured areas. For shore fishing, I’d say hook up some local contacts that can get you on private ground and away from the pressure. I know that’s not much help but the hunt can be as fun as the catch.