Carp Anglers Group Forums
Lefty

Merrimack

Anybody seen the Mac lately? I'm wondering if all the rain has it messed up? I'm leaning toward Amesbury in the am . Hope it's fishable.

Hi Lefty

Haven't taken a look but USGS shows about 3-4 feet of extra water in Haverhill........so I think you might find it a bit challenging further down "toward the salt" until it drops a bit.

Iain

Thanks Iain! Guess I go to plan b

I fished at the beginning of the tidal section two weeks ago, and did reasonably well. Water level was indeed higher than usual at this time of the year. July usually produces nicely in this river.

Well, the water level was very high today... Much higher than 2 weeks ago, actually...

I started looking in Amesbury. The water was ripping in the Mac and the Powow. Checked all the way to the dam but it was the same everywhere. Fished Quannapowit for a couple hours but there was some kind of Fishing Derby going on so I made my way to Flax. A friend of mine was there so I joined him. We each had 1 fish for a couple hours.

post-8866-0-93143900-1436111840_thumb.jp

post-8866-0-77008200-1436111882_thumb.jp

Nice Flax fish! Any activity at all at Quann? I can't catch a carp out of there for the life of me! In 5 trips there the most I've seen was 1 jump with Jerome :)

Too bad about the Mac as well...

Saw a few fish breach but was quite always from where I was fishing.