Carp Anglers Group Forums
Bostoncarp

Boston area sight fishing

I am just getting into carp fishing and am looking for places to sight fish for them. I had a few places in Bosoton where fish were showing regularly through June but now I am having trouble. I know a few places where carp likely are in deeper water but I am looking to sight fish. Any suggestions would help, no need for a spot burn but a suggestion or point in the right direction would be really appreciated. I want to stay close to Boston on the cambridge side, a few miles tops. Happy to trade my spring early summer spots for summer locals if you want to PM.

Try the Alewife brook, and the paths along it.

Early in the day during summer i ways spot the most. Also a bike with rod holders is perfect for covering lots of water.

thanks for the replies. I find that the early morning are good but the angle of the sun makes it hard to spot fish. I'll try alewife. Anyone flyfish for carp here?

Anyone flyfish for carp here?

A little, but most of my experience doing it is out of state. I have a few spots in mind, but they are all full of weeds now so I'm waiting 'til the fall when the carp don't have a dependable food source. Then my flies will be more appealing; they just ignore them now because they have enough food.

You fly fish for carp?

For any kind of sight fishing, good polarized sunglasses and a hat are a must. The hat helps cut out glare. Pictures of your adventures are appreciated.

I am trying to flyfish for carp but often use corn in difficult to cast spots. I always wear a hat and polarized glasses but if the fish are not there they are just not there.

I am trying to flyfish for carp but often use corn in difficult to cast spots. I always wear a hat and polarized glasses but if the fish are not there they are just not there.

Have you landed one on the fly yet? It's actually pretty tough, compared to dumb fish like trout :P

The spot I have in mind has bad access too. I think roll casting is key.

I have landed about a dozen on the fly since first trying last year. That being said, about half of those came after some chumming. For example, when I see them in an area, I will toss in some corn, just enough to get them feeding and looking. Once they are actively feeding I will drop a fly right in their path...cheating a little but I have also gotten a few without chumming.

Impressive! All my experience fly fishing for carp is out of state, but I started by chumming as well. By the end, I could hook up with most of the carp I came across without chumming. For me it was all in the presentation, being 2 or 3 feet in front of the carp. Still, they can be pretty picky at points.

What kind of flies were you using? All my experience was with average trout nymphs and a few carp specific flies. One I came up with worked very well - white dubbing, dumbell eyes, and pink chenille to imitate a small clam (although I suspect it was more of an attractor (. I have like 20 still on my tying desk ready for the fall.

If I can find them in an area where I can cast to them...The problem I have is either they turn and don't move over the fly or they get spooked when I try and inch the fly into their path. I have gotten them on black whooly buggers and on a green, pink, and gold bead head streamer. The key for me seems to be that I have to be able to see the fly on the bottom so I can get the fly in position and see the take. I have hooked into 20lb plus fish but have only landed fish up to around 15lbs. Since the weather warned up and weeds grew in, I have been unable to find fish in my usual spots.

Ah, streamers... I never really had any luck throwing them for carp. Something that seems to work pretty well is taking a bigger fly (like one of your streamers) and trailing a smaller nymph or similar small fly behind it. The big one stirs them up as it goes by and then they usually hit the smaller one. It's all visual though, you have to be able to see the take to have the best shot at hooking the fish. And weeds are a killer.

Found some fish in the somerville area but couldn't get them to hit. They were feeding but would swim right over my offerings. Seems like they are keyed into vegetation on the bottom. Finally tried chumming and had one hit but it went right into the weeds. Saw a lot of fish but very frustrating.