Carp Anglers Group Forums

Visability of posted pictures

The Big Worm

Question

I got a call from someone looking to know why they couldn't see pictures as a non-member on posts by most folks (myself included, and my past posts before my account was deleated) but pictures posted by others....and it was only a few do show, and I was wondering if I am (and others using a the wrong format or not doing something correct for our pics not to show. I signed off myself to check to see for myself and none of mine show nor many others, but Frank Rinks all show.....what are we doing wrong?

I though everything was automated with the newer upload system.

0 answers to this question

Larry--I am certain Willem can offer a more technical explanation, but, simply put, I have found that by uploading a photo to a server independent of CAG's and then by posting the picture on CAG by inserting the URL of the photo on the CAG image-uploader (picture frame icon in each unpublished post's header), an individual can present a photo that is visible to both un-logged guests and logged-in members/non-members.

Keep in mind, though, that those photos will have a maximum side-dimension of 500 pixels, although you can click on the image to see it in full size. --Frank

dixon2015_jim_reynolds_peg.jpg

Is it a security issue? Seems if you down loaded direct to CAG it would be more secure and easier to control. Lake Links and other sites only allow members to POST, But for the sake of things making sense and to promote interest in coming back to the site you would think you'd want the pics visable. Just seems like alot of content must have been missed by folks over the last 4 years and I would think that to be a be a contributing factor to the reduction of interest in the site. I had no idea people couldn't see things till someone not a member called...man that had to be boring and frustrating for folks looking at the site for the first time.

Oh well, seems like alot of extra work to do what use to be easy...

Ah, ok

What you're seeing is posts with the images uploaded to the post, but not added to the post.

post-5480-0-93733100-1440683377_thumb.jp

See the "Add to Post" button on the right?

If a user simply uploads without adding it, it's merely an attachment.

It will be auto displayed, but only when logged in as a guest.

It's a security feature.

So if users add the image and not just upload, they will be visible to all.

OK, I've given anonymous browsers a little more rights.

I don't agree with it since all they need to do is register on the forum and not pay any money. I feel that if we provide the content free of charge, the least a person can do is register to browse for free.

So your the reason it just worked now...?

I appreciate you changing the access for all to see Willem.

Just curious as to how long the pics have been unavailable to non-members. I was under the impression that when Louis's administration took most things members only right at the transfer to Andy and Mario's administration. I was under the assumption that when access was opened to some parts by Andy the images would have been too as a part of the attraction and would be an impetus for people to join as was the case for a decade proceeding that......have non-members been "BLIND" to all images for the past 4 To 5 YEARS?

WOW!

Friends of CAG, local post not in the members only section, pictures and stories andd CCC stuff too!

No wonder the people have moved off to Facebook and other things.....there's been nothing to see here and only half of the stories here...

Kind of a BIG oversight if your trying to recruit new people of retain casual members through an economic downturn like 2010-2012

Anyway, Thanks again for helping figure this out Willem! Your the best.

I appreciate you changing the access for all to see Willem.

Just curious as to how long the pics have been unavailable to non-members. I was under the impression that when Louis's administration took most things members only right at the transfer to Andy and Mario's administration. I was under the assumption that when access was opened to some parts by Andy the images would have been too as a part of the attraction and would be an impetus for people to join as was the case for a decade proceeding that......have non-members been "BLIND" to all images for the past 4 To 5 YEARS?

WOW!

Friends of CAG, local post not in the members only section, pictures and stories andd CCC stuff too!

No wonder the people have moved off to Facebook and other things.....there's been nothing to see here and only half of the stories here...

Kind of a BIG oversight if your trying to recruit new people of retain casual members through an economic downturn like 2010-2012

Anyway, Thanks again for helping figure this out Willem! Your the best.

It was not an oversight. It was a deliberate setting.

Written content was opened to all to read. If you wanted to see more all you had to do is register.

It will not stay like this. I just changed it for now to test.

If an article really interest you, register and get the full story. If it's too much to ask, you're not really that interested if you can't spend 3 minutes registering on the forum ;)

So back to my original question then, what's the proper way to post pictures so the pictures are visable to all so that after this temporary "TEST" I and others can post pics for people to see like Frank's were because the corrective measures you said to make did not work, Only you changing the settings did, so as to not waste my time or yours in the future.....What are we supposed to do?

Larry

Frank already addressed that question here:

Larry--I have found that by uploading a photo to a server independent of CAG's and then by posting the picture on CAG by inserting the URL of the photo on the CAG image-uploader (picture frame icon in each unpublished post's header), an individual can present a photo that is visible to both un-logged guests and logged-in members/non-members.

Keep in mind, though, that those photos will have a maximum side-dimension of 500 pixels, although you can click on the image to see it in full size. --Frank

Larry--One other option that I think will work is to create an album or albums in the Members Picture Gallery and upload to your album(s) any pictures you want to share. Then, when you want to post a picture on a thread that anyone can see (logged-in or not), click on the My Media icon (to the right of the smiley face emoji), click on Gallery Images or Gallery Albums, and you can choose photos from your images/albums for your post. --Frank

The following photo came directly from one of my albums, and I can see it whether or not I'm logged in. This may change, though, when Willem changes the system back to its original settings. We'll see.

fff2015 sunrise frankrink B

The additional advantage of using this process is that the one-side dimension is not limited to 500 pixels.

FYI when using third party image hosting sites like photobucket and imgur eventually those photos will be deleted and then the posts will have no pictures at all. It's a huge problem on many sites.

By far it's better for posterity to upload here locally as an attachment and then use the add to post button.