Carp Anglers Group Forums

Beautiful carp-like fish, but what is it?

I landed this beautiful carp-like fish in a lake in RI tonight. At first I thought I had a wild hybrid goldfish, but the mouth is turned down similar to a common carp. I've seen pictures of buffs and it has a similar mouth. There were no barbels. It also had a beautiful fan tail that had streaks of gold in it. Never saw a wild hybrid goldfish with a fan tail. It also had huge fins under its body that were the size of my hands. They also had gold streaks. The fish had all gold like scales similar to a common. Photos posted below.

A friend of mine who is a well known carper thought it was a fantail crucian. Still another thought it was a wild hybrid goldfish but he, too, was puzzled by the fan tail.

It was a very wide fish and weighted between 7-8 lbs.

Any ideas?????

post-1472-0-01678800-1443921025.jpg

post-1472-0-90915900-1443921038.jpg

post-1472-0-65514000-1443921057.jpg

post-1472-0-31956000-1443921070.jpg

Actually, the shape of the top fin, and the size of the fish aren't a good match for a crucian. And it's way too big for gold fish, even an hybrid, isn't it? A weird and wonderful fish!

How about you UK guys....any ideas? It was caught in a place that used to have Japenese gardens with exotic fish back in the mid 1900's. The fish escaped into the lake during a Hurricane and flooding in the 1950's. But, I am guessing this fish can't be 65 years old, or can it??? The lake occasionaly produces an exotic looking koi also.

How about you UK guys....any ideas? It was caught in a place that used to have Japenese gardens with exotic fish back in the mid 1900's. The fish escaped into the lake during a Hurricane and flooding in the 1950's. But, I am guessing this fish can't be 65 years old, or can it??? The lake occasionaly produces an exotic looking koi also.

Aaah... This explains... Well, they could have reproduced since then, right?