Carp Anglers Group Forums

Taking a Chance Today, Might Pay Off Big in the Future

Brian Pearcy

Like many people I am a creature of habit. I know a few places I can go and probably catch carp on a semi-consistent basis. I have one spot that has provided me a 95% success rate albeit with smaller fish (biggest fish were a couple of 20 pounders the past couple of years). Another spot has provided me an 85% success rate with medium sized fish (my 3 largest were 26, 24 and 22), but there have been multiple 30 pounders caught at that venue.

I have been in a semi-rut fishing those two spots quite regularly. I ventured out a few times for a fish-in, a couple of tournament events, and a personal trip to a big water. Those experiences didn't yield many fish, but did add to the social aspect of carp fishing.

This fall I have made a personal commitment to fish more "new" spots. Last week a couple of spots on a small local river, a couple weeks ago a local pond in an obscure park, and tomorrow I am driving an hour to fish another city park that is a dam on that same small local river. There have been 40 inch northern pike caught in that city park, so it sounds good on paper and the DNR site confirmed there is carp in that particular locatoion.

The question is whether it's worth it to forgo 85% to 95% chances of catching fish in order and risk a "blank" with a chance to identify a potential new gold mine that yields a new personal best; or at worst adds another venue to the list of potential places to catch carp. Variety is the spice of life. Ideally I will add another list of potential places to fish. If one venue isn't producing, I can simply shift focus and try one of the new discoveries.

I guess it's a personal choice, but I think heading out and finding some new spots might payoff handsomely in the future. I am sure there are many hidden gems out there just waiting for me to fish them; and some special fish just waiting for me to catch them (I sure hope so).

Imagine how it is when your back yard is literally this:

post-8946-0-62632900-1445138585_thumb.jp

30 yds or so from my back door.

Carp Joe and I were talking about it last weekend. I am quite torn and have gotten lazy to the point I only fished once all summer in another place. Am I lucky to not have to travel to find fish? Or.......? I don't know the answer.

Imagine how it is when your back yard is literally this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20151011_172923.jpg

30 yds or so from my back door. Am I lucky to not have to travel to find fish? Or.......? I don't know the answer.

Well, I know the answer. A charter boat operator in Southport, NC ( Cap'n Jeff) gave it to my 17-18 years ago while fishing with him and some of my family.

He said he was told by another captain years earlier... "You don't LEAVE fish to go FIND fish." In other words stick with the catching program at hand. This advice applies more for ocean boaters than land based but still applies generally.

But for the OP... Exploring new venues is an exciting part of the passion of carp angling.

The quest for the unknown is the greatest quest. How many people have digressed from their comfort zone to take another path? Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Charles Kettering, Louis Pasteur, Jonas Salk, Cornelius Vanderbilt, to name a few. Oh yes, Christopher Columbus. Wonder if he ever thought he would have a fishing tournament named after him? Plus, there is a statue of him in front of the Ohio State Capitol.