Carp Anglers Group Forums

carp edema virus, otherwise known as koi sleepy disease?

chris reitan

Does anyone have knowledge of carp edema virus? My local go-to lake which has been very good to me has been hit with this virus. Back in July, the rumors of an algae bloom causing a fish kill were out. I did see dead carp at this time and fishing went bad. Given the the summer temps, I simply didn't fish this particular lake until this fall. This lake has been a great producer. With a couple of days of pre-baiting, it was very common to catch a dozen fish in a short morning session with many in the low teens and the occasional twenty. Today, the water seems dead. With pre-baiting, I have only managed three small fish over four sessions. I no longer see carp and certainly am not catching carp. After some internet search, I find that the County fish biologist is stating that the lake was hit with carp edema virus. A virus that only effects carp. He seems fairly pleased about this. I on the other, not so much. There does not seem to be much in the literature on carp edema virus. What I have found mainly references aquaculture but indicates that in confinement mortality rates of 75 to 80 percent are expected. I have also found a few articles from England regarding the concern but with no detail on any particular incident.

Does anyone have any first hand experience? Is it possible that there has really been 75-80 percent mortality? Thinning the herd a bit might not be a bad thing as long as this does not disproportionately effect the larger fish. Does this virus persist over years? If anyone has any factual information or rumor / hear-say, I would love to hear it

Earlier this summer, there was some sort of fish kill here in Georgia at Lake Oconee that (I believe) only affected carp. I don't recall exactly what the cause was, but I believe it was some sort of biological issue, PERHAPS the virus you mentioned.

I'll do some follow-up and report what I find.

The Lake Oconee (Georgia) carp kill occurred approximately in mid-MAY, and was at least partly blamed on stress from spawning.

The following is part of a statement from the state DNR issued roughly May 20, 2015:

"...a WRD fisheries biologist says the highest concentration of dead carp has been in the Sugar Creek area and northward toward I-20.

“Common carp have been aggressively spawning at Lake Oconee over the last few weeks, resulting in additional energy consumption and stress, and weakening a fish’s immune system allowing bacterial or viral infections to more readily occur, often causing fish death,” said Nelson. “No other fish have been affected. There are a few diseases and viruses that are known to primarily infect common carp.”

The statement included no specifics regarding those "few diseases that are known to primarily infect carp", so I can't say if the "carp edema virus" was involved in that incident.

Edited by needmotime2fish

At John's suggestion, I did a Google search. From what I found on the internet, so far the spread of CEV appears to be limited to Europe and to Asian koi.

That doesn't mean that it isn't here. But if it is, I found nothing on the Web referring to its existence in North America.

Research this : http://www.rense.com/general53/souths.htm

Above is a 50,000 carp kill off that happened awhile back, now you can't even tell a carp died in the lake, the fishing is amazing, loads of 20's and some 30's as well as grass carp upwards of 70 and 80lbs, if your local lake has a stable source of natural food and good water your lake will thrive in years to come.

Bad news- the same ol' negative attitude toward carp.

Good news- the population will rebound in a few years. Wouldn't this "low population" time allow for more forage for those remaining, resulting in bigger carp? Wouldn't the survivors possibly have an immunity for the bacteria since it only killed approximately 50% of the carp population?

Good info on the thread and posts. Thanks to all.

Other thought / question. Might it be possible to transfer this to other fish / lakes with a net or weigh sling? I always hose the net and sling off and let them dry after use.