Carp Anglers Group Forums
Tony Locke

Defeated by small mouth buffalo ..again!

This year saw me catch my first buff and so they represented a new challenge to me. Unlike carp, these things ( in my very limited experience) give very gentle bites and while I fish pretty fine with my quiver tips, I struggle to get clear indications of a bite. All too often I will pick up my rod after a biteless 10 minutes and find a buff has "hung itself"

Today was no exception- I was fishing in Rome no more than 50 yards up the Oostanaula from where it joins the Etowah. Fishing hard on the bottom I could catch buffs, but with all the leaves now in the water, it was very difficult to distinguish the leaves hitting the line from buff bites when using the finer tip. Using a heavier tip and I was often not seeing the bites at all.

Plan B has been to catch them on the float- if I can get the buffs taking on the float then problem solved. I have tried most of the classic European river float styles...waggler and stick float. I have now fished this area maybe 6 times and every time I try with a float and every time I failed. I thought it was because I had chosen a place where I could fish on the bottom and the float was sort of a back-up plan.

Today I chose a place because I could fish a float effectively there and I fished a big stick float in about 7 feet of water and I did catch...carp and that was nice but why no buffs?. Put the feeder there and I get buffs and carp ..run a float through and I can only get carp. What is going on?

Has anyone any experience of taking buffs on a moving bait- or am I to assume they only take a bait nailed to the bottom?

No doubt next weekend I will try again with a big wire stemmed stick float that I should be able to slow down a bit better than the big stick.

Tony

Have you considered "line watching" instead of using a float? When I was fishing in TN earlier this week with "cannonball", I managed to hook up with some buffs by closely watching my line and attempting to set the hook while the fish was moving the slack line in and out. Of course I missed at least 80% of what I thought were bites, but I did connect with some decent buffs, too.

Email sent with more detail....

What nmt2f said. I have never dealt with buffs until the last couple of years. They are totally different than common carp. Would like to extend an invitation to come up next year to try for some buffs on my home river. My PB came from that venue.