Carp Anglers Group Forums

Connecticut or Bust!

Ol Captain

Back in the early spring of 2006 I participated in The ATC Carp fishing tournament in Austin, Texas. Pete Ellis and I drove many miles to fish in this two day event. We even stayed an additional day to fish Emma Long with some new friends that we made while in Austin. Pete caught a couple of fish but after fishing three whole days this Ol Captain did not even catch a cold!

It has been over nine years since that trip and it remains one of the most enjoyable memories of my almost 63 years of life. How can I say this when I drove that far and spent all that $$ without catching a fish? I thought you'd never ask.......

For several days I rubbed shoulders with some of the best people and the best Carp anglers across the country and beyond. I recognized many of them from the CAG Forum (this was pre-Facebook) and to my surprise, many of them also recognized me!! It was so cool to me to be sitting in a hotel lobby many miles from home and someone say..."You are the Ol Captain! I sure do enjoy your pictures and stories!" Folks, that was like saying "Amen" to the preacher!! Since that spring we have been privileged to fish with several of these same guys and have hosted many of them here in our home in Georgia.

I have added a couple of important arrows to my Carp Angling quiver since those days. My skills and techniques as an angler have improved a bit but my best addition has been a little dog that I rescued from the Pound about 7 years ago. He started out as just "Max" but through our stories and his passion for "Lick and Release" he has become well known as Maximus Relaximus - The Ultimate Carp Hound!

Recently, Max and I were saying that neither of us are getting any younger. We both have white hairs on our chin and are a bit stiff legged in the cool of the morning. We have decided that it may be time for us to get out while the gettings good and participate in another Tournament! We have scouted around and the lot has fallen on the Connecticut River in Hartford, Connecticut!! I will have a two legged partner ( to be named later) as well but be it known that the Ol Captain and Maximus Relaximus will be in Hartford next Oct 2016 (Good Lord willing) for the Connecticut Carp Open Tournament!

Fellow anglers: Please don't be intimidated by this announcement. We plan on fishing mostly days and getting a room at night. We are not hard core at all. We are coming to make new friends, take a few pictures and share our experiences with the world through our stories. If you have never met the Ol Captain or witnessed L & R (Lick and Release) you might just want to make your plans now to come see us in October!! 1,000 miles or so one way means absolutely nothing to a Carp Hound so don't tell us about how far you'd have to come. Just come on and lets have some fun together!! Who knows, I might even catch a fish this time!!

It is official! My partner will be Tim "Cool Dad" Gill!!

Georgia will be well represented. :yes:

Between your puffs and strawberry grits, and Tim's "plug of perfection", those Connecticut River carp won't stand a chance!!!

Rumor is that the CT carp are already waving white flags in anticipation of your visit. Have a good trip. If you are into the classics, I recommend a day at the Shakespeare theatre in Stratford, CT. It's right on the tidewater of Long Island Sound. Been there twice with HS classes. The plays are much more enjoyable on stage than plowing through a book.

Been looking at places in TN for next year's fishing. Got two lined up already. Will let the forum know when and where I'll be fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you don't get lost along the way!.

This time you MUST catch something...you are representing the South!

Cannonball- I am from Shakespeare country...my home town is just north of Stratford... I got Shakespeare rammed down my throat every year I was at school... my idea of purgatory is having to watch another Shakespeare production!

Tony, I can understand your position. Now that you are in the US, you can read Zane Grey westerns or James Fenimore Cooper's stories about the early frontier.

FWIW, I do enjoy Shakespeare on stage rather than reading it.