Carp Anglers Group Forums

Hey i was wandering about chumming with corn i have normally used normal canned corn but I got a big bag of frozen super sweet corn will frozen corn still just work as good as canned corn if you thaw it out or what I don't want to get out on the water and not catch any fish

I normally use feed corn, boiled for a couple of hours. Sometimes I add flavor.

I have used frozen corn, but I have boiled it first. I normally save the water used for boiling for boiling boilies/adding to method mixes or just putting it out on the water.

I normally use feed corn, boiled for a couple of hours. Sometimes I add flavor.

I have used frozen corn, but I have boiled it first. I normally save the water used for boiling for boiling boilies/adding to method mixes or just putting it out on the water.

ok thanks will it still work fine if I thaw it out in hot or warm water

Don't bother with frozen corn, most of that stuff will float, go to your local feed store or academy, walmart, get some cleaned deer corn, put it in a 5gal bucket about half way then top up with water, at this stage add flavouring, put the lid on and leave to soak up the water for about 12hr, after the corn has swollen fully take out of the bucket and boil for about 20 to 30minutes, then chum away......

Don't bother with frozen corn, most of that stuff will float, go to your local feed store or academy, walmart, get some cleaned deer corn, put it in a 5gal bucket about half way then top up with water, at this stage add flavouring, put the lid on and leave to soak up the water for about 12hr, after the corn has swollen fully take out of the bucket and boil for about 20 to 30minutes, then chum away......

ok thanks I'll give that a try and I see that u are in Alabama where do u fish for carp mostly it's hard to find a good place around here
war eagle! Lol I'm only one in fam who is auburn rest Alabama fans

Oh dear, you have my sympathy this year - it's been a brutal one for ya. I made the mistake of asking my wife the other week, "Why are you even watching the game? - If it hurts, stop doing it ?" .... that Saturday ended very badly for me !

Oh dear, you have my sympathy this year - it's been a brutal one for ya. I made the mistake of asking my wife the other week, "Why are you even watching the game? - If it hurts, stop doing it ?" .... that Saturday ended very badly for me !

haha sure has

go to your local feed store or academy, walmart, get some cleaned deer corn, put it in a 5gal bucket about half way then top up with water, at this stage add flavouring, put the lid on and leave to soak up the water for about 12hr, after the corn has swollen fully take out of the bucket and boil for about 20 to 30 minutes, then chum away......

I might be doing it backwards, but I boil mine first. Then I let it soak, using the water I used for boiling it. I always stir in about a tablespoon of cinnamon to the water before I boil it, along with 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt. The cinnamon is an attractant, and the salt helps to delay the corn from spoiling.

I don't prepare my corn in big batches, either. I just do enough at a time to fill one or two one-gallon buckets. Usually I start with about 3 quarts of dry corn, then cover it with the water, cinnamon and salt, and boil it slowly for 20 - 30 minutes. Sometimes I have to add more water while it boils, so I watch it closely. It WILL expand, so don't over-fill your cooking pot.

I might be doing it backwards, but I boil mine first. Then I let it soak, using the water I used for boiling it. I always stir in about a tablespoon of cinnamon to the water before I boil it, along with 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt. The cinnamon is an attractant, and the salt helps to delay the corn from spoiling.

I don't prepare my corn in big batches, either. I just do enough at a time to fill one or two one-gallon buckets. Usually I start with about 3 quarts of dry corn, then cover it with the water, cinnamon and salt, and boil it slowly for 20 - 30 minutes. Sometimes I have to add more water while it boils, so I watch it closely. It WILL expand, so don't over-fill your cooking pot.

Everybody has there own way of preparing corn!

I am just meticulous when it comes to preparing seeds and pulses that fish will eat (safety factor), the reason for soaking and absorbing liquid in my two favorites (corn & chick peas) before the boil is, I want as much flavor to be soaked up as possible in my initial preparation and when they start to take on the re-hydration stage, usually I will leave the corn in a sealed container for maybe a few weeks so it will start the fermenting process and it will get the added flavours, sugars plus the liquor smell, which is also a good carp attractor, then I will do a boil (I will add Rock Salt at this stage), my quantities are maybe 15gal which then will go into the chest freezer until I go fishing, on defrosting from the freezer more fluids will be soaked back into the corn. As you quite rightly said, batch size is totally up to the individual and how much they make and use per session!

ok thanks I'll give that a try and I see that u are in Alabama where do u fish for carp mostly it's hard to find a good place around here

You are in a good place where you are, when I can, I will go to Decatur and fish the TN river or fish at Ditto,s Landing on highway 231 or Guntersville Lake, Weiss Lake, Gadsden, lots of places, you just need to explore the area for a day or two and you should be able to find a good place.

I get the water boiling, put in flavoring and cracked corn. Let it sit and cool while absorbing the water. I stir it occasionally to make sure all the corn is wet. After it has cooled, I put it in a bucket and head for the river! For me, vanilla seems to work good. Lots of ways to do it. The main thing is to have fun catching carp. A buff once in a while is a bonus.

I like Adi corn cans because its cheap and more sweet! Open all cans and pour in small bucket then use it for chum and bait. I never bring can to lake or river because one time sharp cut my finger so badly! If you bring cans to water and make sure to take all with you home! I don't want pollution!

Hey i was wandering about chumming with corn i have normally used normal canned corn but I got a big bag of frozen super sweet corn will frozen corn still just work as good as canned corn if you thaw it out or what I don't want to get out on the water and not catch any fish

Well, maybe use it frozen... Break in chunks, throw them in the water as is... They will sink right away, and thaw quickly at the bottom of the water. I never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Well, maybe use it frozen... Break in chunks, throw them in the water as is... They will sink right away, and thaw quickly at the bottom of the water. I never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Jerome, have you tried this? Are you certain that it will sink when it's still frozen? Ice floats, so I was wondering whether frozen corn might also float.

Frozen will work fine. I used to buy the bags for quick trips where I was just I using sweetcorn to introduce people to carp fishing. I don't remember the frozen chucks floating.

FWIW, I bought some dented cans at Food City a while back. The cashier mentioned this to me. I told her it was for fish bait. When I told her the size of my fish, she said she wouldn't want to go swimming again. I told her that carp didn't bother people. Honest, I didn't tell her anything but the truth about my PBs.