Carp Anglers Group Forums

CarpQuest: TAKC - Take a Kid Carping

Each year CAG members step up and volunteer their time to Take a Kid Carping. This is a great event and one that I am very passionate about. A few years ago I was fortunate to be able to take a work colleague, Patrick, and his son Dante carp fishing. Last year it was Casey, Brittany and their young son Brayden. This year it was the turn of Lance and Colin.

Filmed during sunny mid-September, I took Lance and his young son Colin out carping for a session at Kingfisher, Chatfield Reservoir. Lance had taken his son, an avid CarpQuest fan, out a few times previously in search of carp - yet the fish were proving to be elusive. He had written to me earlier this year and asked if I could help. I receive a LOT of requests to take people fishing each year, but this one was stood out. Colin's dad had tried, and tried, to help his son bank a carp already at a few venues I knew held some good fish.

Once I got them setup, Colin turned out to be a highly passionate and talented young angler, who soon had his first ever carp on the bank, a 11 lb 4 oz common. His dad, Lance, also joined in the fun and landed his first carp, a scrappy 12 lb 2 oz common. I also managed to land a mirror and a couple of commons. A GREAT days fishing was had by all !

Colin was involved in all aspects of the captures, from baiting his hair-rig, casting out, setting up the alarms, playing the fish in, netting the fish, carp care and handling, weighing and measuring the fish. He even got involved with filming some of the footage in this video - what a great young man !

The video highlights the importance of involving anglers at an early age in the sport, not only learning the correct techniques but also appropriate fish care and handling for the species.

I would highly recommend taking the time out of your busy schedule to Take a Kid carping with you.

For me, this session with Lance and Colin ranks as one of my favorite for the year; not for the fish we caught but for the passion and enthusiasm of such a young angler for his fishing.

Tight-Lines, hope you enjoy !

John

John, that is a great story! Always good to had a youngster involved in the sport. From your description, he has jumped in with both feet. Now we know what is on his Christmas list- rods, baitrunner reels, alarms, rod pod, net.