Carp Anglers Group Forums
(RI) pickerd

Scale Patterns

Take a look at some of the beautiful scale patterns I photographed in the last week. Most came from mirrors and one came from a hybrid goldfish. I set the camera setting on macro and focused in on a small, but interesting area of the carp's body. You don't realize how beautiful these fish are until you see some of these scales up close.

post-1472-0-58338100-1450047528.jpg

post-1472-0-14978400-1450047541_thumb.jp

post-1472-0-90119000-1450047558_thumb.jp

post-1472-0-69149000-1450047579.jpg

post-1472-0-08912200-1450047605.jpg

Great pics Dave its one of the coolest parts of Carp fishing how unique each fish can be.

I would bet that scale patterns and coloration would be similar to fingerprints. I have seen or read of cases where carp have been caught multiple times and identified by scale patterns and colors. Biologists take pictures of whales and other animals to be identified by certain physical characteristics. I am identified by the amount of food stored on the bank near my chair :knifefork: and the buckets of packbait in my wagon.

Great photos i tend to take many pics of scales also although they are not mirrors lol

This is so cool... I never noticed all those small dots...

Very Nice

These are great Dave! I think some of them would look fantastic enlarged, printed and mounted...I might pursue something like this in the spring...I'm thinking of huge wall size prints/ canvases...5ft x 6ft or so they would look brilliant...abstract and specific...thanks for sharing!