Carp Anglers Group Forums
Tony Locke

2016...getting the New Year rolling

Happy New Year to you all, or should I say "y'all"?

Hope to get to spend a few hours fishing with more of you this year.

As those who know me can testify, I do not hibernate, but fish throughout the year. It is a very rare weekend when I do not get out fishing for at least a few hours

I finished the year with a 19lb 10oz carp out of the 'Hooch on 28th December and started 2016 with a monster on Jan 3rd...OK I am telling porkies...(Pork pies= lies...Cockney rhyming slang) it is only a monster if you are comparing it to a minnow, but it was a carp, all 6lb of it that I caught today out of a bank high 'Hooch. I had it on the Roswell Road section and cannot recall catching a carp this small from there in years. However it is a start and for that I am duly grateful.post-8854-0-98216400-1451860612_thumb.jp

Pretty much all my carp in November through to the end of February fall to worm fished over a chopped worm/ spam feed used very sparingly. Usually if I can get them feeding on Spam then they tend to be bigger, but I find that only works (and then only occasionally ) in very heavily colored water.

Unless we have another prolonged very mild spell I reckon the best bet for carp will be in the rivers for the next couple of months as the fish have to burn energy just to stay put.

Tight lines for 2016

Tony

Good job! At this time of the year and with all the high water in the Hooch, ANY carp is a good carp.

You're "one carp ahead" of most everyone else. :swimminfish:

One is much more than zero! Congrats on the carp. Just the first of many for 2016. Hope to share some carping time with you this coming year.

Tony:

You add a refreshing dimension to Georgia Carp angling. So many of us think there is only one way to fish (which of course is our way) and you show us time after time that the fish are there if we would only learn how to fish properly for them in those conditions. You are a teacher both in and out of the classroom. The proof as always, is in the pudding.Good show!

Thanks Horace, but the day I think I cannot learn from others is the day I become a fool.

Don't we often leave the bank wondering if we could have caught more if a) we had fished another pitch or B) used a different tactic. I am currently in a rut of my own making where I am not trying enough different approaches and I am not trying enough new venues.

There used to be a time when I would look at a place and think "Oh this pitch is awful and not worth bothering with" and then say to myself "OK Tony prove it...fish it as hard as you can and see what you can catch". Now I tend to think "OK the conditions are ______ and so the best place I know where I can catch fish is ______ and go there and succeed. Of course you don't learn anything from that approach.

So on to my new Years resolutions; a) Spend more time fishing lakes...try to crack a section of Lanier or elsewhere. Rationale: December would have been good carping on (shallow) lakes as it was so mild...but I didn't know where to try. I need to improve my lake carping abilities which are pretty darn poor...so this goal should not be too difficult to achieve!

B) Small mouthed buffalo: these fish are driving me nuts. I reckon IF i can find out a way to get them using float tactics then I can really sort them out as opposed to reeling in and finding one hanging on the end with me totally oblivious to any bite. This in turn means I am going to have to improve my float fishing skills ...or at least shake off the dust! All of my carp caught over 25lb have come on the float, yet I cannot recall even catching one over 10lb here in GA using a float. This goal is harder as I have already been attempting this for a while now BUT I have invested in a new float rod for the job which is actually the most expensive rod I have ever purchased (so it better darn well work) and I now have that with me whenever I head out fishing.

Of course due to the cold and high water levels on our rivers, I shall be using the same old techniques in the same old places until conditions improve....