Carp Anglers Group Forums
(GA) needmotime2fish

New venue, caught a few

I received an email last week from Phil, asking what I had heard about carping at a spot neither of us had ever tried, and after a bit of online research, I discovered some references to carp having been observed there by "other species" anglers.  So, curiosity being what it is, Phil and I decided to try it yesterday. 

NOTE:   I believe this venue gets a fair amount of general fishing pressure, but not from carpers.  However, I won't be "advertising" the location, simply because this body of water, located "in NE GA", has extremely limited public access for bank anglers.

We arrived about 9 AM and fished until about 6 PM.  It was very windy, with the wind blowing in our direction.  We thought that would have been a positive factor, blowing food toward us and making the carp more active.  However. we had absolutely no action until just after 4:00, when Phil caught one.  Then I lost one when the hook pulled as the fish ran through some brush, then Phil caught two more.  The day ended when I finally banked one.  No idea whether it just took that long for the carp to find the freebies we had thrown them, or if a school of active fish finally swam in our direction.  None of the fish were huge, but they were all nicely colored and healthy-looking.  I estimate that three of the four we banked were "upper singles".

I was encouraged for a "first trip", and I definitely plan to return soon.

DSCN0721.JPG

DSCN0722.JPG

DSCN0725.JPG

DSCN0727.JPG

DSCN0730.JPG

IMG_20160301_175003383.jpg

IMG_20160301_175201542.jpg

IMG_20160301_175206488.jpg

IMG_20160301_175216885.jpg

IMG_20160301_182242132_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160301_182358744.jpg

warm weather sounds so nice :-)

Nice going.

Congrats on the new venue,and captures, always a great feeling to catch from a new water.

Thanks guys.   Looking forward to going back next week.  Expecting some really nice weather.

All indications are that the carp here are not pressured at all, but reports from other anglers suggests that there are a lot of them, including some lumps.  We'll see.

These area great pictures, thanks for posting them.  

As a newcomer to this forum, about how many pounds were the fish shown in pictures 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11 of this photo array?

On 3/4/2016 at 6:39 PM, RedRiverJay said:

These area great pictures, thanks for posting them.  

As a newcomer to this forum, about how many pounds were the fish shown in pictures 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11 of this photo array?

Pic #5 was Phil's first fish.  His second was smaller, so we didn't photograph it.  Pics #7-9 were all of his third fish, and #9 & #10 were both of my only fish.

Just guesswork here, but I would estimate that the ones we photographed were all in the 7-to-9 pound range.  We didn't weigh or measure any of them.

We've been back several times in the last 3 weeks with varied success, from spotty (3 or 4 fish) to fantastic (a 25 fish day, with carp biting from early morning and all day long, until we packed up that evening).  We went again yesterday, and caught about a half dozen, and also lost 4 fish (very unusual -- before yesterday, we had lost just one, and it was due to a hook pull as the fish was going through some trash).  I was actually surprised we did that well, because a cold front had just passed through.  Daytime highs had dropped from the 70s and low 80s to the upper 50s, with overnight lows in the 30s.  It was also one of those days you don't expect to catch well because there wasn't a cloud in the sky -- nothing but bright sunshine.

Regardless, I had to post this because I caught my PB common for Georgia, 22 lbs 4 oz.  At least it's my state PB for "wild water" carping.  In the 50 years I've lived in Georgia, I had caught a few 20s in paylakes here, but I finally got my first one from wild water.

Here are two pics of my new PB on the mat.

DSCN0766.JPG

DSCN0767.JPG

Very nice looking fish. I really hope the water warms up here in MN soon. Fished the swollen mississippi last night after work. 4 screaming runs- all happened to be stick fish. Gave up after that. Simply too much debris in river right now.

Glad I am not alone with the stick fish! Mind you, fished a flooded GA river a few months ago and a large stick fish ( log? ) took the bait. I was pulling for a break and then it turned and zoomed upriver! No idea what it was, (lake sturgeon?) but I couldn't stop the thing! Wait till you hook a big plastic bag in the handle in a fast flowing river...the bag opens  and it zooms off downstream....then the bag closes and you can gain line until it opens again! I fought one on the Rhine and it had me fooled for quite a few minutes!

Yes I have quite a bit of experience  of catching things that do not have fins!

12 hours ago, Tony Locke said:

... So now the target is a 25?

My target is always "the next fish that will bite", but my HOPE is for "something bigger".   :D

Edited by needmotime2fish

Congrats on that new GA wildwater common PB ! :carprock:

7 hours ago, Cannonball said:

There is the chance of the 25 up here in Tennessee!

Forever hopeful.  If it happens, that would be my TN PB (with no complaints, of course  :))