Carp Anglers Group Forums

August 27 "Dog Days of Summer" Tournament!

DOG_DAYS_banner_082716.jpg

Tournament Canceled

Due to the latest change in the Kewanee forecast ("Showers and thunderstorms; storms can bring downpours, damaging winds and even an isolated tornado."), I am canceling this event.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Post-spawn fishing can be challenging, especially during the dog days of summer.  In fact, this originally scheduled July 23 event was postponed until August 27 due to heat indices of over 100° on July 23.  The August 27 event will be in Kewanee, IL, not Kewaunee, WI.

We are at the maximum number of anglers at 20, so the field is full for the  Saturday, August 27, 2016 "Dog Days of Summer" Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson Sauk Trail State Park. This event will feature a Big 3 format and will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. with a 6:15 a.m. peg choice.

Entry is $30 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd. 

Peg choice will take place at 6:15 a.m. at the usual parking lot (See map below).

Two rods per angler will be allowed.

Peg choice is at 6:15 a.m., but anglers have the entire lake from which to fish.  You just need to give me an idea about where you are fishing.  Anglers may make one location move at any time during the tournament as long as they remain 10 paces from another participant's location.  The same distance must be observed for choosing initial locations. The tournament will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Please bring keepsacks for your fish.  This and all other tournaments I conduct in 2016-17 will have me weighing your fish at your peg at the conclusion of each event.  Yes, this takes a bit longer, but it will assure consistency in weigh-in procedures and accuracy by using the same scale.

In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler. 

We will meet at 6:15 a.m. at the usual parking lot. The awards distribution will be held at the same place shortly after your fish are weighed.

Safe carp care is a must. No treble hooks are allowed. Do not gill captured fish. Unhooking mats are required.

1. Ledger, feeder, hair-rigging, side-hooking, and float fishing are allowed. NO artificial lures such as jigs may be used. However, imitation baits are allowed: plastic corn, boilies, etc.

2. An angler MUST STRIKE and PLAY the fish UNASSISTED. In other words, if anyone other than the pegged angler touches the pole/reel with a fish on the line, that fish will not count. Netting the fish may be done by anyone. 

3. All fish will be weighed by the tournament organizer at the conclusion of the event.  Anglers are expected to have carp-friendly keepsacks for their fish! A fish must be released alive and able to swim away in good shape, or the fish WILL NOT COUNT! Eligible carp are commons, mirrors, crucians, hybrids/goldfish, and koi.

4. A fish must be hooked by the ending time of each event, and fishing stops at that time! Since we will all be fishing different locations, there will be no horn or whistle, just an honor system. If a carp is hooked just prior to the ending time, it must be out of the water within 15 minutes of the ending time. Once again, the honor system applies here. Since the organizer is weighing all fish, he will have a master scoresheet, the contents of which will be shared at the conclusion of the event and on the tournament thread website.

5. All anglers must have a valid Illinois fishing license. You wlll need a 2016 Illinois fishing license for events from April 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017.

6. The entry fees are $30 for the day. 100% of entries will be returned as prizes at the rate of 50% for first, 30% for second, and 20% for third. 

7. You must catch a fish to win a prize. If nobody catches fish or if fewer than three anglers catch fish, the un-won entry fees will be returned to non-winners in equal portions.  

8. The session will be held no matter what the lake conditions are. However, dangerous weather may cause suspension, postponement, or cancellation.

9. If an angler arrives at his peg, and a local angler is fishing in that peg, then he is to set up as close as he can to his assigned peg. If that puts him too close to the next assigned peg, the angler at the next assigned peg will have to adjust, also, to allow both anglers room.

10. Tie-breakers--In the case of a tie in weight, the prize will be split evenly.

11. As a matter of courtesy and fairness to all, anglers and their designees are asked not to bait or fish the venue 24 hours prior to an event. Thank you.

12. For tournament results and angler recognition, please take photos of some of your catches and send them to the tournament host. 

13. Have fun, be safe, and catch some fish! Good luck!

Sign up here if you are in. Minimum number of participants is 4. Good luck. Thanks for your consideration! --Frank

On 6/6/2016 at 9:00 PM, Blacksheep said:

Cool set of new rules, count me in!!!

July 23 "Dog Days of Summer" Tournament postponed until August 27 due to high/dangerous temperatures!

Thanks, Larry! :yourock:

Larry Seeman is in.  
wccl2013_larry_2906_050513.jpg

Anglers, so far, participating in 7/23/16 "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Tournament in Kewanee, IL:

1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink

July 23 "Dog Days of Summer" Tournament postponed until August 27 due to high/dangerous temperatures!

Alfonso Chavez Ramirez
alfonso.jpg

Feucho Aguilita González

and Jimmy Makkanas Ramirez
are in!  Welcome, gentlemen! 
:yourock:

Application to IDNR for a tournament permit has been submitted.

Anglers participating in July 23, 2016 "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Tournament at Johnson-Sauk Trail Lake in Kewanee, IL:
1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink
3.  Alfonso Chavez Ramirez
4.  Feucho Aguilita González
5.  Jimmy Makkanas Ramirez

joliet_102415_luis.jpg

21 hours ago, FJR1 said:

Alfonso Chavez Ramirez, Feucho Aguilita González,  and Jimmy Makkanas Ramirez are in!  Welcome, gentlemen! :yourock:

Application to IDNR for a tournament permit has been submitted.

Anglers participating in July 23, 2016 "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Tournament at Johnson-Sauk Trail Lake in Kewanee, IL:
1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink

I would like to participate in the Dog Days of Summer Tournament 

On 6/9/2016 at 5:24 AM, bailybird said:

I'm in

Thanks, Cory! :yourock:

Cory Bohmann is in!
johnson_090813_cory_2008.jpg

On 6/9/2016 at 5:33 AM, Jim Snyder said:

I would like to participate in the Dog Days of Summer Tournament 

Thanks, Jim! :yourock:

Jim Snyder is in!
13344700_1083851815020806_378229396286813052_n.jpg

This tournament is a GO!

1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink
6.  Cory Bohmann
7.  Jim Snyder

We will draw at 6:15 a.m. for order of peg choice.  Choices are unlimited, but a #1 draw gives you first chance at the "prime" locations.

1 hour ago, bailybird said:

Is whole Lake open? 

Yes, it is.

On 6/13/2016 at 11:41 PM, carphammer said:

Count me in , Frank

Thank you, Dave!  :yourock:

Dave Marceau is in!
ottawa2014_dave_alarm.jpg

This tournament is a GO!

1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink
6.  Cory Bohmann
7.  Jim Snyder
8.  Dave Marceau

We will draw at 6:15 a.m. for order of peg choice.  Choices are unlimited, but a #1 draw gives you first chance at the "prime" locations.

1 hour ago, bailybird said:

Cory bohman Jr is in

Thank you, Cory, Jr.!  :yourock:

Cory Bohmann, Jr. is in!
13179244_1257863904224099_2703779898719883380_n.jpg

This tournament is a GO!

1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink
6.  Cory Bohmann
7.  Jim Snyder
8.  Dave Marceau
9.  Cory Bohmann, Jr.

In addition, we are "good to go" with Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) approval of the event.  Best of luck to all! --Frank
sauk_072316.jpg

47 minutes ago, chris reitan said:

Hello Frank.  I will fish.  Thanks for organizing this.

Thank you, Chris!  :yourock:
Chris Reitan is in!

chris_r_2013_062015.jpg

This tournament is a GO!

1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink
6.  Cory Bohmann
7.  Jim Snyder
8.  Dave Marceau
9.  Cory Bohmann, Jr.
10. Chris Reitan

In addition, we are "good to go" with Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) approval of the event.  However, all anglers will have to sign a waiver other than the usual that I provide, holding the state of Illinois and Johnson-Sauk harmless should something unfortunate happen to you.  Best of luck to all! --Frank

Hi Frank,

I am looking forward to being a part of this event.

James Kraft

IMG_0932.jpg

On 6/19/2016 at 11:01 PM, Grahame Johnston said:

Hi Frank,

Please include me for this competition.

Grahame.

Thank you Grahame!  Glad to see you back on the "circuit.":yourock:

Grahame Johnston is in!
sauk_062015_grahame_1714.jpg

10 hours ago, James Kraft said:

Hi Frank,

I am looking forward to being a part of this event.

James Kraft

IMG_0932.jpg

Thank you, James, and welcome! :yourock:

James Kraft is in!
IMG_0932.jpg

1.  Larry Seeman
2.  Frank Rink
6.  Cory Bohmann
7.  Jim Snyder
8.  Dave Marceau
9.  Cory Bohmann, Jr.
10. Grahame Johnston
11. James Kraft

1 hour ago, Blacksheep said:

This guy really loves to fish in Joliet, LOL.

car_in_canal.jpg

LOL.  Looks like the car dropped from the police lot.

I always wondered how strong those chains were... I guess we know now!