Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

Sept. 3 Event APPROVED! Sign up here!

Due to the quick response and graciousness of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and the Site Manager at Johnson - Sauk Trail State Park, our application for the "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Carp Tournament to be held this Saturday, September 3, 2016 has been APPROVED!
0903.jpg

The site manager at Johnson - Sauk Trail called me this morning to indicate that he approved our tournament following IDNR approval.  I thanked him for his communication and gracious action in light of our three-day-old application.  He did tell me, however, that there is a major "dove shoot" at the facilty from Thursday through Saturday and indicated that the marina parking lot would be full.  With many of us dispersed around the lake, I don't see that as a problem.  In addition, the shooting will take place at a remote area that does not pose a safety threat to tournament anglers.

This event has been postponed twice due to weather, but the forecast for Saturday is looking great.  

DOG_DAYS_banner_090316.jpg

The following have already signed up for the event, but there is room for more.  Sign up on this thread if interested.  

1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft 
3.  Chad Bettisch 
4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 

I know it's short notice, but I wanted to re-schedule something after last weekend's cancellation.  Here are a few reminders:

Saturday, September 3, 2016 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "Dog Days of Summer" Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson Sauk Trail State Park. This event will feature a Big 3 format and will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. with a 6:15 a.m. peg choice.

Entry is $20 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd.  The top three anglers will also receive medals.

There will be an optional $10 side-pot for most carp caught with 100% payout to the top two anglers at a 60%-40% split. 

$25 for a CAG membership will be awarded to the top finishing angler who has never been a CAG member!

Peg choice will take place at 6:15 a.m. at the "usual" parking lot at the southwest side of the lake.

johnson_sauk_trail.jpg

Two rods per angler will be allowed.

Peg draw is at 6:15 a.m. Due to the weather-related cancellation of the August 27 event, peg choice will be the same as that which had been planned for August 27.  
Anglers have the entire lake from which to fish.  You just need to give me an idea about where you are fishing.  Anglers may make one location move at any time during the tournament as long as they remain 10 paces from another participant's location.  The same distance must be observed for choosing initial locations. 

The tournament will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler, to the top two "Total Number of Carp" winners, and to a "specialty" category winner. The "specialty" category will be announced at peg draw.

Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 3 event.  Recipents will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipents will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria (announced at peg choice).  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also win a new Fieldline Pro-Series Multi-purpose Case. 
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg
specialty_prize_082716.jpg  

In addition, I will offer a check or paypal payment of $25 at each event to cover the cost of a CAG membership to the highest placing angler who has never been a CAG member.  Once you become a CAG member, PM (CAG Personal Messenger) me through this CAG forum system at FJR1, and I will ask  you for a mailing address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement check, or I will ask for an e-mail address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement Paypal payment.  It's your choice. 

dog_days_banner.jpg

We will meet at 6:15 a.m. at the usual parking lot. The awards distribution will be held at the same place shortly after the conclusion of the event.

Safe carp care is a must. No treble hooks are allowed. Do not gill captured fish. Unhooking mats are required.

1. Ledger, feeder, hair-rigging, side-hooking, and float fishing are allowed. NO artificial lures such as jigs may be used. However, imitation baits are allowed: plastic corn, boilies, etc.

2. An angler MUST STRIKE and PLAY the fish UNASSISTED. In other words, if anyone other than the pegged angler touches the pole/reel with a fish on the line, that fish will not count. Netting the fish may be done by anyone. 

3. All fish will be weighed by assigned stewards or by the buddy-angler honor system (weigh-in witness and signature)! A fish must be released alive and able to swim away in good shape, or the fish WILL NOT COUNT! Eligible carp are commons, mirrors, crucians, hybrids/goldfish, and koi.

4. A fish must be hooked by the ending time of each event, and fishing stops at that time! Since we will all be fishing different locations, there will be no horn or whistle, just an honor system. If a carp is hooked just prior to the ending time, it must be out of the water within 15 minutes of the ending time. Once again, the honor system applies here. 

5. All anglers must have a valid Illinois fishing license. You wlll need a 2016 Illinois fishing license for events from April 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017.

6. The entry fees are $20 for the day. 100% of entries will be returned as prizes at the rate of 50% for first, 30% for second, and 20% for third. An optional side-contest for total number of captured carp will be $10 to enter.

7. You must catch a fish to win a prize. If nobody catches fish or if fewer than three anglers catch fish, the un-won entry fees will be returned to non-winners in equal portions. 

8. The session will be held no matter what the lake conditions are. However, dangerous weather may cause suspension, postponement, or cancellation.

9. If an angler arrives at his peg, and a local angler is fishing in that peg, then he is to set up as close as he can to his assigned peg. If that puts him too close to the next assigned peg, the angler at the next assigned peg will have to adjust, also, to allow both anglers room.
sauk062114_cory_1814.jpg

10. Tie-breakers--In the case of a tie in weight, the prize will be split evenly.

11. As a matter of courtesy and fairness to all, anglers and their designees are asked not to bait or fish the venue 24 hours prior to an event. Thank you.

12. For tournament results and angler recognition, please take photos of some of your catches and send them to the tournament host. 

13. Have fun, be safe, and catch some fish! Good luck!

Sign up on this thread if you want in.  Thanks.  There will be a maximum limit of 20, so sign up as soon as you can check your schedule!

James Kraft tells me that Jim Snyder is in.  Thank you, James and Jim! :yourock:
13233037_1078179492254705_4825755813406166809_n.jpg

The following have already signed up for the September 3 "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake.  Sign up on this thread if interested.  
1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft 
3.  Chad Bettisch 
4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 
9.  Jim Snyder

2016_carp_medal.jpg

discovery_month_2_days.jpg

I haven't seen 2016 guidelines posted yet, but keep in mind that September 1 through October 15 is CAG Discovery Month.  Some nice recognition/prizes are awarded for stories/photographs of venues that you visit that are new to your fishing experience.  

Because Johnson-Sauk Trail Lake is a good sized venue and varies dramatically in depth, I would guess that you could fish a different location than your usual at the lake and call it a Discovery Month experience.  Bring your cameras and your eye for detail.  

I hope to see some Kewanee stories submitted for CAG's Discovery Month 2016.  Good luck! --Frank

18 hours ago, srdjan gazivoda said:

We are in

Srdjan Gazivoda 

Zeljko Gazdic 

Tihomir Apcir

Slavko Cuk

Thank you, Srdjan, Zelijko, Tihomir, and Slavko. :yourock:

Srdjan Gazivoda (pictured), Zeljko Gazdic, Tihomir Apcir, and Slavko Cuk are in!
post-8956-0-05706900-1440466104_thumb.jpg

The following have committed to the September 3 "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake.  Sign up on this thread if interested.  Our angler limit for September 3 will be 20.  
1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft 
3.  Chad Bettisch 
4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 
9.  Jim Snyder

10. Srdjan Gazivoda
11. Zeljko Gazdic 
12. Tihomir Apcir
13. Slavko Cuk

2016_carp_medal.jpg

Forecast for Kewanee on Saturday; so far, so good:
9316weather.jpg

Based on the list of participants, I am guessing that some of you may want to fish together.  That may work, but it may not. Keep in mind that we draw for peg choice as individuals.  Also keep in mind that you indicate, at peg choice, where you will be fishing.  

If someone gets choice #1 and points to or indicates, "I want Singing Bird Picnic Area," he has first choice of that general area upon arrival there.  If his fishing buddy gets choice #10 and chooses Singing Bird, but two others, with choices #4 and #6 also chose Singing Bird, then the #10 chooser would get fourth choice of locations at that picnic area.

In other words, don't assume you will fish next to your buddy/buddies just because you choose the same general area.  If you want to fish together, I would suggest that the earliest chooser select an area that has some space for others.

Also keep in mind that you must be at least 10 paces from the next angler.  - Frank

Tony Donato is in!  Thank you, Tony!  :yourock:
13537682_10202258746225782_441375610940519171_n.jpg

Thanks to all who have signed up on short notice, and thanks, again, to IDNR for approving our tournament application on short notice!

The following have committed to the September 3 "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake.  Sign up on this thread if interested.  Our angler limit for September 3 will be 20.  
1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft 
3.  Chad Bettisch 
4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 
9.  Jim Snyder

10. Srdjan Gazivoda
11. Zeljko Gazdic 
12. Tihomir Apcir
13. Slavko Cuk
14. Tony Donato

2016_carp_medal.jpg

39 minutes ago, CARPWACKER said:

Hey Buddy please add Fred and Cobb for the 3rd,I wont be able to Fish Injured my Wrist, Thanks

Thank you, Robert.  Hope your wrist is better soon!

Eddie Cobb and Fred Rhodes are in!  Thank you, Eddie and Fred!  :yourock:

joliet101814_eddy_1st_am.jpg

019_Fred_R_Mirror.jpg

1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft 
3.  Chad Bettisch 
4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 
9.  Jim Snyder

10. Srdjan Gazivoda
11. Zeljko Gazdic 
12. Tihomir Apcir
13. Slavko Cuk
14. Tony Donato
15. Eddie Cobb
16. Fred Rhodes

Nice turn-out for a last-minute event!  Thanks to those who signed up and to IDNR for a gracious tournament approval.

Peg Guide - Johnson Sauk Trail State Park/Lake - Shabbona Picnic Area and Keokuk Campground (Peg draw lot) (Pegs A-1 to A-4 and B-1 to B-5)

Several of you participating in the September 3rd and September 24th Tournaments at Kewanee's Johnson Sauk Trail Lake will be visiting for the first time.  Since you will be expected to designate an area where you will fish at peg choice (6:15 a.m. sharp at the SE parking lot), I thought it might be helpful to give you some idea about the pegs and layout of the venue.  I will describe the pegs in the next several posts to lessen the chance of crashing the thread with too many pics in one post.

Theoretically, there are infinite peg locations from which to choose, but I realistically count about 40 pegs that are fishable at the lake. That number is based on at least 10 paces between pegs, a reasonable walk from your car (but that varies quite dramatically), and pegs that are relatively comfortable and safe (but that varies, also).  Also keep in mind that this is not a private event.  We will be sharing a public lake, so some pegs may be occupied before we get there.

First, a comment about getting to the lake.  It's Labor Day weekend.  Even with an early start, traffic, especially on I-80, will be heavier than usual.  Give yourself plenty of time.  Police will be out in greater numbers than usual, and there is a 7-10 mile stretch just prior to the Kewanee exit that has a 55 mph speed limit and one lane.  Be safe!

Once you get to the main entrance follow the main road until you see the round, red barn.
sauk_round_barn.jpg

Take a right (SSE) on the other side of the road from the barn and follow it until you see a sign pointing left marked "Picnic Area."  Take that left, or you will soon be on a one way road forcing you to circle the entire lake before getting back to the red barn.

The road will lead to the parking lot where peg choice will take place.
johnson_sauk_trail_map.jpg  

I realize there are groups of 2 to 4 anglers who might want to fish together.  That may work with good planning on your part, but it may also be difficult.  To help you as a group, I will allow those fishing as a group to choose their pegs closer than the 10 paces rule, but you must still be 10 paces from someone from outside your group.  

Keep in mind that we draw for peg choice as individuals.  Also keep in mind that you indicate, at peg choice, where you will be fishing.  

If someone gets choice #1 and points to or indicates, "I want Singing Bird Picnic Area," he has first choice of that general area upon arrival there.  If his fishing buddy gets choice #10 and chooses Singing Bird, but two others, with choices #4 and #6 also chose Singing Bird, then the #10 chooser would get fourth choice of locations at that picnic area.

In other words, don't assume you will fish next to your buddy/buddies just because you choose the same general area.  If you want to fish together, I would suggest that the earliest chooser select an area that has some space for others.

The peg-choice parking lot will be our frame of reference for the first two sets of pegs.  South of the lot are the Shabbona Picnic Area pegs (A1 to A-4).  North of the lot are the Keokuk campground pegs (B1-B5).  Click on the images for larger versions.

Shabbona Picnic Area
sauk_shabbona_thistle.jpg

Located just south of the lot down a small hill, these pegs are typically the most used during a small tournament or fish-in.  They are the closest to your car of any pegs around the lake.  However, they are among the shallowest pegs of the lake.  There will be weeds from the bank to about 10 feet out, but you should be able to guide a capture through them.
sauk_shabbona_weeds.jpg

From north to south (left to right looking at the lake):
Peg A-1 - At the start of the Shabbona venue where the weeds end.  One of the most sought-after pegs when fishing the lake.  Cast a bit to the left to avoid tangles with A-2.

sauk_shabbona_a1.jpg

Peg A-2 - To the right of A-1 and also a producer, sometimes better than A-1.
sauk_shabbona_a2.jpg

Peg A-3 - Here it starts getting iffy this time of year due to the weeds.  Weeds get heavy to your right.
sauk_shabbona_a3.jpg

Peg A-4 - I wouldn't recommend this as it is too weedy.  Fish will bury themselves in the weeds and you'll lose the fish and some tackle.  We've had as many as 6 or 7 anglers fish this area, but the weeds will simply not accommodate that many in September.
sauk_shabbona_a4_weedy.jpg

Keokuk Camping Area

These are pegs north of the parking lot.  The walk to them is on mowed grass, but it will be very wet in the morning.  Pegs are from 20 to 200 yards from your car at the lot.

From south to north (right to left looking at the lake):

Peg B-1 - Under a tree adjacent to the restrooms (sometimes locked), this peg is in some weeds down a slippery embankment, but it usually holds fish (not the biggest in the lake, but fish are there).

sauk_keokuk_b1.jpg

Peg B-2 - A peg on a small point usually occupied by Grahame Johnston at past tournaments.  Fish have been caught there.
sauk_keokuk_b2.jpg

Peg B-3 - An open-area peg to the left of B-2.  There are some weeds and snags in front of you, but you can guide a fish through them to your net.
sauk_keokuk_b3.jpg

Peg B-4 - Ths peg is under some branches, so only a side cast will work.
sauk_keokuk_b4.jpg  

Peg B-5 - This is at the end of the mowed grass area.  Behind that bush is a shallow bay.  Casting more to the left where the bay meets the main lake may work best.
sauk_keokuk_b5.jpg

These wildflowers are located near the Keokuk pegs.  Be watching for hummingbirds!
sauk_keokuk_hummer_wildflowers.jpg

The next post will feature Singing Bird and Blackawk Areas:  Pegs C1- to C-4 and D-1 to D-2.

Peg Guide - Johnson Sauk Trail State Park/Lake - Singing Bird and Blackhawk Areas (Pegs C-1 to C-5 and D-1 to D-2)

Across the lake from the peg choice lot are the Singing Bird and Blackhawk Areas.  From the peg draw lot backtrack to the one way road and follow it around the lake.  You will first see a parking area for Waterfowl Viewing.  No pegs are there.  The next lot will be for the Singing Bird Picnic Area where you will find 4 or 5 pegs.

Singing Bird Picnic Area

sauk_singing_bird_sign.jpg

This is on a fairly remote area of the lake, so you're bound to see some wildlife, especially in the early morning.  The warblers and vireos should be starting their southward migration
sauk_warbler.jpg

The Singing Bird pegs entail a 90 yard walk downhill.  The depth is slightly deeper than Shabbona.  There are some big shade trees near the water, but casting is fine.  Don't forget it's uphill to get back to your car.
sauk_singing_bird_lot.jpg

From left to right:

Peg C-1 - This is the only peg not out in some manicured open area.  On the far left, take a narrow path amidst some weeds.
sauk_singbird_c1.jpg

Peg C-2 - To the right of C-1, this now begins a series of similar pegs out in the open area at Singing Bird.
sauk_singbird_c2.jpg

Peg C-3 - Pegged near a couple sapling trees.
sauk_singbird_c3.jpg

Peg C-4 - A picnic table is typically located here which often draws more than just anglers.  You may fit a couple anglers in this peg area.
sauk_singbird_c4.jpg

Peg C-5 - I've seen fish caught here, but it's weedy this time of year.  I'd, personally, avoid it.
sauk_singbird_c5.jpg

Pegs C-1 through C-4 provide pleasant surroundings and some decent water.
sauk_singbird_venue.jpg

Blackhawk Group Area

Just a short drive up the one-way road will take you to the Blackhawk Group Area.
sauk_blackhawk_sign.jpg

You will often discover some interesting fauna and flora here!
sauk_blackhawk_deer.jpg
sauk_blackhawk_toadstools.jpg

Unfortunately, this Blackhawk area, 90 yards from the parking lot, contains lots of unfishable weeds.
sauk_blackhawk_weeds.jpg

However, there are two "gems" that you can find if you walk down to the lake and then turn left along a path for about 100 yards.

Peg D-1 - You can fish off the dock, but I've seen many boats tied up here in the past.
sauk_blackhawk_d1.jpg

Peg D-2 - This is just to the right of the dock and contains some nice open water.
sauk_blackhawk_d2.jpg

It gets weedy again after you proceed left along the path.
sauk_blackhawk_weeds_back.jpg

As always, please look up before you cast.  There are overhanging trees at several pegs at the lake.  You don't want your line looking like this.
sauk_tangles.jpg

The next post will feature the Tecumseh Areas:  Pegs E-1 through E-6.

Peg Guide - Johnson Sauk Trail State Park/Lake - Tecumseh Area (Pegs E-1 to E-6)

Turning left from the Blackhawk group Area, continue along the one-way road.  The road separates from the lake, so there are no viable pegs along the route until you arrive at the restaurant/boat ramp/cabin area.  Drive down to the boat ramp and follow a road marked "To cabin."  Before you get to the cabin there will be several parking places adjacent to the park-like Tecumseh Picnic Area.
sauk_tecumseh_sign.jpg

Tecumseh Picnic Area
These pegs all feature some decent depth and some features that hold carp.  All of them are fairly convenient and within 50 yards of your car.  There are shade trees and a restaurant a stroll away.  I am picturing six pegs, but there is probably room for 10-12 anglers.

From right to left:

Peg E-1 - You can easiy fit a two-person team in here.  You can't go right of this as it's reserved for those renting the cabin.

sauk_tec_e1.jpg

Peg E-2 - A little tighter area between bushes.
sauk_tece2.jpg

Peg E-3 - Maple saplings form the boundaries of this peg.
sauk_tec_e4.jpg

Peg E-4 - Plenty of room for a team with a picnic table for gear.
sauk_tec_e5.jpg

Peg E-5 - A nice open view, but there are some nice features here.
sauk_tec_e6.jpg

Peg E-6 - A corner of the lake with a boat ramp within casting distance.  Could be carpy.
sauk_tec_e7.jpg

The next post will feature the Concrete Walkway behind the Restaurant:  Pegs F-1 through F-4.

Peg Guide - Johnson Sauk Trail State Park/Lake - Ramp/Restaurant/Concrete Walkway (Pegs F-1 to F-4)

I've never fished the concrete-walk area near the restaurant and boat ramp, but it's comfortable and easily accessed. I recall some winning fish came from there during an event last September.  It's Labor Day Weekend, so I don't know if lots of boats will be parked there.  I've pictured four pegs, but there could be more or less.

Right to Left:

Peg F-1 - Near the paddle boat.

sauk_con_f1.jpg

Peg F-2 - Left of the paddle boat and just right of new dock.
sauk_con_f2.jpg

Peg F-3 - To the left of the new dock.
saul_con_f3.jpg

Peg F-4 - End of walkway with a table.
sauk_con_f4.jpg

Deep water in a convenient setting.  Nice combination!

The next post will feature the Dam Pegs to the right of the intake fence (G-1 to G-4) and to the left of the intake fence (Pegs H-1  to H-3).

Peg Guide - Johnson Sauk Trail State Park/Lake - Dam (Pegs G-1 to G-4 (right of overflow/intake) and Pegs H-1 to H-3 (left of overflow/intake)

High risk could equal high reward.  These are weedy, steep, uncomfortable pegs with little space for gear and little if any shade.  On the other hand, the pegs are in the deepest part of the lake (21-23') at the dam, and could hold the biggest fish in the lake.  It's a bit of a hike, especially to the H pegs on the left of the intake/overflow apparatus.

From right to left looking at the lake.  The main feature for all is depth, so I'll just picture the pegs where I think they may be and make no major comment.  I would guess that you could add several more pegs if an angler is willing to deal with the weeds, bugs, slope, and uneven footing.

Peg G-1 - Continues on the same plane as the concrete walkway, but much wilder, weedier to walk through, and steeper.
sauk_dam_g1.jpg

Peg G-2 - Continues on the same plane as the concrete walkway, but much wilder, weedier to walk through, and steeper.
sauk_dam_g2.jpg

Peg G-3 - Continues on the same plane as the concrete walkway, but much wilder, weedier to walk through, and steeper
sauk_dam_g3.jpg

Peg G-4 - On the actual dam, just to right of intake fence.
sauk_dam_g4.jpg

Peg H-1 - On the actual dam, just to left of intake fence.
sauk_dam_h1.jpg

Peg H-2 - On the actual dam.
sauk_dam_h2.jpg

Peg H-3 - On the actual dam at the east edge.
sauk_dam_h3.jpg

Despite the rough conditions, you'll still find a hummingbird here and there.
sauk_dam_hummer.jpg

The next post will feature the Piankashaw Path Pegs I-1 through I-7.

Peg Guide - Johnson Sauk Trail State Park/Lake - Piansashaw Path Pegs I-1 to H-7

These pegs could be labeled as "undiscovered gems," but they require a gear-haul of over a quarter mile.  At the east edge of the dam, you take a right (roughly south) on the Piankashaw Trail.  There, you will find mowed paths and access to deep, clear water.  The bank is relatively even, so you aren't dealing with steep slopes like at the dam.  You might need long-handled nets, though, at some of the later pegs in this series.  The last two pegs are back into the woods rather than out in the open.

The venue is in the background parallel to the trail sign.
saik_pia_sign.jpg

Peg I-1 - After a right turn at the east edge of the dam, you are greeted by this pleasant peg.
sauk_pia_i1.jpg

Peg I-2 - There is a bench at this peg, but you may need it after hauling gear from that parking lot way across the lake.
sauk_pia_i2.jpg

Peg I-3 - Still plenty of room that could accommodate a two-person team.
sauk_pia_i3.jpg

Peg I-4 - Another open peg in water without troublesome weeds.
sauk_pia_i4.jpg

Peg I-5 - Lots of options here.
sauk_pia_i5.jpg

Peg I-6 - Back in the woods with plenty of shade.
sauk_pia_i6.jpg

Peg I-7 - Almost a half mile away from your car, but an end peg with shade and solitude.
sauk_pia_i7.jpg

You might see Bambi around these pegs.
sauk_pia_deer.jpg

OK. boys.  That should give you some details and options to help you make an informed decision on Saturday.  Best of luck! --Frank

After two previous cancellations due to weather, it looks as if this tournament may finally happen.  Accuweather says we will see sunny, pleasant skies with a high of 77° and a low of 57° with slight ESE breezes at Kewanee's Johnson Sauk Trail Lake on September 3.

Thanks to Cory Bohmann who told me yesterday that a Brita Pitcher will be awarded to the angler catching the smallest carp.
sauk062114_cory_1814.jpg

Here are some final reminders:

Saturday, September 3, 2016 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "Dog Days of Summer" Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson Sauk Trail State Park. This event will feature a Big 3 format and will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. with a 6:15 a.m. peg choice.

Entry is $20 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd.  The top three anglers will also receive medals.

There will be an optional $10 side-pot for most carp caught with 100% payout to the top two anglers at a 60%-40% split. 

$25 for a CAG membership will be awarded to the top finishing angler who has never been a CAG member!

Peg choice will take place at 6:15 a.m. at the "usual" parking lot at the southwest side of the lake.

johnson_sauk_trail.jpg

You must sign a waiver of liability to participate.  A parent must sign for anglers under the age of 18.  

Two rods per angler will be allowed.

Peg draw is at 6:15 a.m. Due to the weather-related cancellation of the August 27 event, peg choice will be the same as that which had been planned for August 27.  
Anglers have the entire lake from which to fish.  You just need to give me an idea about where you are fishing.  Anglers may make one location move at any time during the tournament as long as they remain 10 paces from another participant's location.  If fishing in a group, the 10 paces rule is waived.  The same distance must be observed for choosing initial locations. 

The tournament will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler, to the top two "Total Number of Carp" winners, and to a "specialty" category winner. The "specialty" category will be announced at peg draw.

Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 3 event.  Recipents will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipents will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria (announced at peg choice).  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also win a new Fieldline Pro-Series Multi-purpose Case. 
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg
specialty_prize_082716.jpg  

In addition, I will offer a check or paypal payment of $25 at each event to cover the cost of a CAG membership to the highest placing angler who has never been a CAG member.  Once you become a CAG member, PM (CAG Personal Messenger) me through this CAG forum system at FJR1, and I will ask  you for a mailing address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement check, or I will ask for an e-mail address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement Paypal payment.  It's your choice. 

dog_days_banner.jpg

We will meet at 6:15 a.m. at the usual parking lot. The awards distribution will be held at the same place shortly after the conclusion of the event.

Safe carp care is a must. No treble hooks are allowed. Do not gill captured fish. Unhooking mats are required.

1. Ledger, feeder, hair-rigging, side-hooking, and float fishing are allowed. NO artificial lures such as jigs may be used. However, imitation baits are allowed: plastic corn, boilies, etc.

2. An angler MUST STRIKE and PLAY the fish UNASSISTED. In other words, if anyone other than the pegged angler touches the pole/reel with a fish on the line, that fish will not count. Netting the fish may be done by anyone. 

3. All fish will be weighed by assigned stewards or by the buddy-angler honor system (weigh-in witness and signature)! A fish must be released alive and able to swim away in good shape, or the fish WILL NOT COUNT! Eligible carp are commons, mirrors, crucians, hybrids/goldfish, and koi.

4. A fish must be hooked by the ending time of each event, and fishing stops at that time! Since we will all be fishing different locations, there will be no horn or whistle, just an honor system. If a carp is hooked just prior to the ending time, it must be out of the water within 15 minutes of the ending time. Once again, the honor system applies here. 

5. All anglers must have a valid Illinois fishing license. You wlll need a 2016 Illinois fishing license for events from April 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017.

6. The entry fees are $20 for the day. 100% of entries will be returned as prizes at the rate of 50% for first, 30% for second, and 20% for third. An optional side-contest for total number of captured carp will be $10 to enter.

7. You must catch a fish to win a prize. If nobody catches fish or if fewer than three anglers catch fish, the un-won entry fees will be returned to non-winners in equal portions. 

8. The session will be held no matter what the lake conditions are. However, dangerous weather may cause suspension, postponement, or cancellation.

9. If an angler arrives at his peg, and a local angler is fishing in that peg, then he is to set up as close as he can to his assigned peg. If that puts him too close to the next assigned peg, the angler at the next assigned peg will have to adjust, also, to allow both anglers room.

10. Tie-breakers--In the case of a tie in weight, the prize will be split evenly.

11. As a matter of courtesy and fairness to all, anglers and their designees are asked not to bait or fish the venue 24 hours prior to an event. Thank you.

12. For tournament results and angler recognition, please take photos of some of your catches and send them to the tournament host. 

13. Have fun, be safe, and catch some fish! Good luck!

1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft 
3.  Chad Bettisch 
4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 
9.  Jim Snyder

10. Srdjan Gazivoda
11. Zeljko Gazdic 
12. Tihomir Apcir
13. Slavko Cuk
14. Tony Donato
15. Eddie Cobb
16. Fred Rhodes

Nice turn-out for a last-minute event!  Thanks to those who signed up and to IDNR for a gracious tournament approval.

Results - September 3, 2016 “Dog Days of Summer” Big 3 Tournament in Kewanee, IL

Note to self:  Unless it’s that time of year when the Johnson-Sauk Trail Lake carp are moving back and forth from the shallow spawning beds, ALWAYS fish at a location on the north/deep side of the lake!  It’s also less weedy in deeper water.

The “Dog Days of Summer” Tournament anglers who chose deep, north, dam-proximity pegs at the September 3 event totally dominated the rest of us who chose more shallow, south-lake pegs.  Case in point . . . six anglers fished the north locations (Tecumseh Park/Piakashaw Trail) and caught 21 carp during the contest, while nine of us fished south pegs (Shabonna/Keokuk/Singing Bird/Blackhawk) and recorded eight carp for the ten-hour day.

The northside fish were much bigger as well.  The top five carp on the deep side were 18-0, 18-0, 16-1, 15-1,and 12-0, whereas the shallow part of the lake yielded only one fish in double figures (barely at 10-8) and had a meager top five of 10-8, 9-6, 8-7, 7-12, and 6-3.  
sauk_090316_weeds.jpg

Despite the disparity of north/south production, it was a beautiful day with temperatures in the 70’s and sunny skies.  This Illinois Tournament Series event had experienced two previous cancellations due to weather.  Overall, our September 3 tournament yielded 29 carp weighinh 272 pounds, five ounces.
sauk_venue_090316.jpg

Newcomer Arun Hari arrived a little late, so he had last peg choice.  That didn't matter!  Arun lost several big fish to weeds, but his three captures of 18, 12, and 11 at Tecumseh Park were good for the Big 3 championship and the accompanying cash and medal.  Congrats, Arun!  Well done!
14264189_1101952166538669_5450941523726471202_n.jpg

Cory Bohmann, Jr. and his Dad Cory Bohmann, fishing side by side just to the east of the dam at Piankashaw Trail, tied for second place in the event at 38-8 for their Big 3.  It was the younger Bohmann, though, who won the tiebreaker with a big fish of 16-1 compared to Dad’s 15-1.

2nd Place and silver for Jr.

14202778_1101952189872000_890540883653399606_n.jpg
14141993_1102094073191145_5672196504906166397_n.jpg

3rd Place and bronze for Dad.
14265044_1101952153205337_1454760103112723215_n.jpg
14184412_1102094076524478_2014170105799778944_n.jpg

In the Total Number of Carp Contest, Cory Bohmann and Frank Rink tied for first place with eight carp each.  Cory took the tiebreaker with a big, northside fish of 15-1 compared to Frank’s south-side 10-8.  Frank took fifth in the Big 3 event with a 10-8, 9-6, and 8-7 from his peg between the Singing Bird and Blackhawk Picnic Areas.

14202697_1101952163205336_3081982358582509400_n.jpg
sauk_frank_06_090316.jpg

James Kraft not only tied Arun Hari for big fish of the event at 18-0, but James also won the Brita pitcher donated by Cory Bohmann for small fish of the event.  James recorded an 11 ouncer!  James took fourth in the Big 3 event with an 18-0, 5-12, and 5-5 captured at the Tecumseh Park Area.
14233181_1101952173205335_7859107599358450229_n.jpg

14237606_1102392616494624_5383257094313369658_n.jpg

14212600_1102392623161290_6824141029528521766_n.jpg

Cory Bohmann made it three medals in one day as he won the last-fish-of-the-day Specialty Event with a capture at 4:50 p.m.  He also took home a camo case for his efforts.
14237666_1101952143205338_2234186639371996330_n.jpg

Chad Bettisch rounded out the group of anglers who caught carp on September 3.  Chad recorded a 9-10 from his Piankashaw Trail location, good for a sixth place finish.

In addition to a total of 29 carp captures, several catfish and a couple bluegills were also caught.
14141963_1101952199871999_7913699475759900402_n.jpg

Big thanks to the 15 anglers who attended!:
1.  Frank Rink

2.  James Kraft 

3.  Chad Bettisch 

4.  Paul Hennenfent 
5.  Bobby Hennenfent
6.  Arun Hari 
7.  Cory Bohmann 
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. 
9.  Jim Snyder

10. Srdjan Gazivoda
11. Zeljko Gazdic 
12. Tihomir Apcir
13. Tony Donato
14. Eddie Cobb
14. Fred Rhodes

It was nice seeing both familiar and new faces!

We were spread throughout locations around the lake, so anglers are asked to post any fish pictures they may have taken of their own captures or other anglers’ carp.

Our next event will be the “Welcome to Fall” Big 4 Tournament on Saturday, September 24 at the same venue under the same time and rules parameters.  I wonder how many north pegs will be occupied?  Good luck to all! —Frank Rink

A few more photos from the event:

The deer seem to always be at the Blackhawk area in early morning.
14263993_1101952373205315_98201089992851870_n.jpg

Big fish were scarce in the shallow, weedy, south section of the length, but the frogs were vocal, and, if you looked around a bit, you could see some, despite the "camo."
14207783_1101952553205297_5464953502695928146_o.jpg

Tournament champion Arun Hari mixing bait at Tecumseh Park.
14183671_1101952403205312_8333139777469949595_n.jpg

Northside Piankashaw Trail pegs were a good choice for Cory Bohmann, Jr., Chad Bettisch, and Cory Bohmann.
14192654_1101952376538648_3256270393451959410_n.jpg

Zeljko Gazdic and Tihomir Apcir waiting for a bite on a sundrenched, but frustrating, southside peg.
sauk_tihomir_z_090316.jpg

Srdjan Gazivoda fishing at the "Grahame Johnston" peg.  The southside just didn't work out on this particular day.
sauk_srdjan_090316.jpg

Eddie Cobb and Fred Rhodes wait for carp at the usually productive Shabbona peg.  Not on 9/3/16!

sauk_fred_090316.jpgsauk_eddie_090316.jpg

We welcomed Booby Hennenfent and his dad Paul Hennenfent to the tournament.  Unfortunately, they, like nine others of us, chose southside pegs.
paul_bobby_singing_bird_090316.jpg

Tony Donato gave it his best shot at Singing Bird.  South pegs just didn't come through, but we liked Tony's CAG gear!
sauk_tony_090316.jpg

Too many dinks for Frank Rink at a southside peg.  Even the little ones were tough to pull through the weeds.
sauk_frank_06_090316.jpg

We appreciate the participation of all and look forward to the return of our newer ICFN anglers like Jim Snyder (on right) and our "regulars" like Chad Bettisch.
sauk_jim_chad_090316.jpg

14265044_1101952499871969_537254584158493946_n.jpg

14232463_1101952516538634_3657143405446607525_n.jpg

14212074_1101952183205334_3516791360021233231_n.jpg

sauk_tony_090316.jpg

sauk_090316+venue_b.jpg

sauk_frank_06_090316.jpg

sauk_jim_chad_090316.jpg

paul_bobby_singing_bird_090316.jpg

sauk_eddie_fred_090316.jpg

14237532_1101952449871974_6018430779159271444_n.jpg

14199643_1101952526538633_2391429565106810404_n.jpg