Carp Anglers Group Forums

Chum

JamesJoyner

Hello everyone,

Well I am a newbie to this carp fishing and have picked up on some very awesome techniques. I am still very stumped none the less. I have been doing well catching commons out of etowah river know how to locate them and chum them to my area even caught some small mouth buffalos. My greatest task at hand is the Grasser. I have done well catching on average 8-10 pounders but am stumped on locating the monsters in this 5 acre pond I fish. One question at hand is when a spot is blown up how close is too close to relocate? Second question is what is a good mix fory oatmeal for chumming/ method? I've been doing a very simple mollases, corn syrup and grits mix finding that old fashioned trumps quick oats bar none. I'm ultimately trying to find a good smell or combination of smells to attract the big 30+lbrs here. What might some good for mixing into my boilies? Or what might I use simply? Haven't tries the top water action yet. That's soon to come. Stale fruit loops :) my daughter won't eat them and neither will I so I'm doing that maybe tomorrow!

James,

1)  PM sent

2) Yes, Old Fashioned oats will break easily, but "quick" oats remains packed tightly.  Definitely use OF oats in your pack bait and/or chum.  Conversely, I make my own boilies, and use "quick" oats in my base mix because it holds together well.

3) I've successfully used Fruit Loops on my hook as a pickup, fishing a modified Paylake Rig.  With a short shank wire hook (#6 to #1), slide 3 or 4 Fruit Loops over the hook (and up the line if necessary), and put a 1/8" square piece of styrofoam on the barb of the hook to keep them from floating off.  A similar UNweighted rig might work for fishing topwater for the grass carp -- especially if the fish are downwind from you and feeding on the surface.

Thank you for the little insider. I have noticed that the quick oats pack tighter but haven't seen success with it as of yet. I fish a little pond myself while my wife and daughter visit our daugters grandparents Lol. I've done well catching on average the 6-10lbrs. I'm happy with my results especially knowing these fish here are hard to pick up. Spring fed and beautiful fights some give airborne on my ultralight 2lb trout rod can't beat that! Not to mention the intense runs these powerful grassers put out!

• 3 weeks later...

For Grass Carp we like to use soybean pack bait packed around the lead or method feeder and use blowback and combi rigs with either corn or pop-up boilies. We bait up 2-3 days in row with birdseed or chicken scratch. We'll throw 20lbs of bait the first day, 15lbs the next, and the 10lbs the day before we fish. We have had a lot of luck with that technique catching grass carp up to 44lbs. You can watch videos on grass carp fishing on our YouTube channel. Let us know if this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxi7Y2VZ5YWXMOY1Of9T1wg

Hey guys thank you much. I've already been following those videos too btw except with catfish & carp. I watched that awesome catch!! Hey if you guys want to come to Georgia maybe I could put you on a lake that holds some 50+ lbs in it actually two that have them within 2 miles of each other. One lake I've already warned the average 8- 10 lbrs so the big boys are not spooked yet. The other my buddy and I are going in this Sunday to blast a bigun with my 2 lb ultra light. 

James, keep watch on the forum calendar and the newsletter calendar for GA fish-ins.  Where do you live in GA?  I live in TN but have become good friends, through CAG I might add, with the GA state chair, Barry aka needmotimet2fish.  Cleveland, TN is about 20 miles north of the state line and about 35 miles from Dalton, GA.  I have a great venue but the town is wanting to turn the boat ramp into a canoe/kayak launch site.  It that happens, our fishing will go down the tube.  There are others that I'm going to explore.

On 11/26/2016 at 10:06 AM, Cannonball said:

JJ, a fifty sounds interesting!  Have a GA NR fishing license that is good through May.  Let me know and we'll see about fishing sometime.

Cannonball well my friend I wish I would have seen this sooner I'm actually on my special lake now with a small fire and wet lines. Been chuming for three days and as I walked up this morning already saw a monster at least 40lbr cruising my swim at my chosen peg. We can definitely get in on some action here before long!

On 11/26/2016 at 10:06 AM, Cannonball said:

JJ, a fifty sounds interesting!  Have a GA NR fishing license that is good through May.  Let me know and we'll see about fishing sometime.

TWW hey guys I appreciate you're tip that's very very helpful and you're absolutely welcome too. Lol I am always up for fishing with anyone who's ready to bring the game on! I'm not worried about publicity Lol just getting to fish with someone who's better than me and willing to help with tips and tricks is plus in my book!! Wish me luck on today's adventure and have fun out there guys!

On 11/24/2016 at 3:48 PM, Team Wild Water said:

For Grass Carp we like to use soybean pack bait packed around the lead or method feeder and use blowback and combi rigs with either corn or pop-up boilies. We bait up 2-3 days in row with birdseed or chicken scratch. We'll throw 20lbs of bait the first day, 15lbs the next, and the 10lbs the day before we fish. We have had a lot of luck with that technique catching grass carp up to 44lbs. You can watch videos on grass carp fishing on our YouTube channel. Let us know if this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxi7Y2VZ5YWXMOY1Of9T1wg

What are you chumming with?  Have links to a website, and how are you putting that much out?

7 hours ago, dust said:

What are you chumming with?  Have links to a website, and how are you putting that much out?

We chum with bird seed mix and chicken scratch. You can get that at any local feed/ farm store or southern states. We fill a bucket up with the amount of bait we choose and kayak it out to our spot and broadcast around the area we intend to fish.

I have a question for you folks...

When winter carping, do you think it is better to use smaller particle sized chum or use larger (prepped field corn) and use less of it?  

I just made up a new batch of field corn and was contemplating cooking down a batch of bran...I usually just add the bran to my packbait bread but it was something I was thinking about.

My last session didn't score me anything worthy of a photograph and I was spombing field corn...I wondered if maybe I was overfeeding the areas...

I think out of anything location is more important. Carp will school up in certain locations and if you can find those areas you stand a much better chance of catching. I agree with using less overall bait. I like bright baits that stand out. The areas you may have caught all year may not be the areas where they are schooled up so moving around and some trial and error should help out. Once you locate fish a lot of times they may stay there for a long time throughout winter. 

2 hours ago, accordbw said:

I think out of anything location is more important. Carp will school up in certain locations and if you can find those areas you stand a much better chance of catching. I agree with using less overall bait. I like bright baits that stand out. The areas you may have caught all year may not be the areas where they are schooled up so moving around and some trial and error should help out. Once you locate fish a lot of times they may stay there for a long time throughout winter. 

Thank You Accordbw, 

This is great advice, hands down. How often should I move or change locations? Is it daily, hourly, or if you don't get a bite right away.

21 hours ago, accordbw said:

Thanks Brian.  Enjoy your videos by the way.

I am thinking about going with a finer particulate and just using boilies, sweetcorn or pellets as a hook bait.  I may get a bag of wild bird seed and cook it down soft so it sinks and use that.  Should hold them in the area longer grazing around without really filling them up with large grains like cooked field corn.  I believe the British call it "particle saturation"...

I've been winter carp fishing for a few years and generally do ok...but the more I do this, the more obsessed I become with finding ways to consistently catch bigger fish.  I assume that is the same bug tat bites everyone...lol