Carp Anglers Group Forums

Hi all,

Nothing fantastic, but just a nice afternoon fishing today....had two poles; one with light-weight (two split shots) sweet corn, one with oat/corn juice/corn/vanilla pack bait......within 5 minutes had this 9lb grass carp on the sweet corn, then this 8lb 4oz common on the sweet corn pole (not a hit on the oats), lost a larger fish, then this 8lb 12oz common on the same pole....I switched to both poles with sweet corn, but only one pole had the hits-tied the same, weighted the same (two round split-shot 4" up the line)....both poles 8lb mono, identical reels (Pflueger Trions), no alarms-just watching the VERY subtle bite..(any wind and I'd miss every fish), one pole with all the hits 5'6" and the other 5'....cast to within 2ft of each other and on elevated bank stakes......can't explain and don't really care, but...what if I had decided only the one rod?....my creek fishing observations of no carp would have been justified.....this is at least a 12', maybe 15' deep hole and I fished at the edge of the fast-moving inflow (X)......the farther spot (A) is a curved dead-end which the inflow bypasses....maybe my back-up FFF 2017?....very secluded area!!!......saw many breaching carp just in front of the tree-stump, which is inaccessible slack water..i can cast there but the current will pull my line away I think....thoughts on fishing that spot?.Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!!:D....

IMG_7857.JPGIMG_7863.JPGIMG_7868.JPGIMG_7888.JPGSlide2.JPGSlide1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 9:54 PM, MOCarper said:

the farther spot (A) is a curved dead-end which the inflow bypasses....maybe my back-up FFF 2017?....very secluded area!!!......saw many breaching carp just in front of the tree-stump, which is inaccessible slack water..i can cast there but the current will pull my line away I think....thoughts on fishing that spot?.Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!!:D....

Slide1.JPG

w/ short rods, a heavy disk-shaped, free-sliding weight would hold your bait in place while allowing light bite detection, but the splash of a heavy weight may spook the fish & the rods would have to be fairly stout, so you don't snap the tip on the cast (maybe, glass would be better than graphite, in this situation -- something like an Ugly w/ soft solid tip)

personally, I'd opt for VERY long lighter rods positioned at a 45* angle, so your line enters the water in the slack area, beyond the heavy current -- that way you could gently lob much smaller leads (still, free-sliding)

I was thinkin' more like a 12-footer a bit sturdier than UL:  a 1.5-2.5TC proper Carp/Coarse rod, or L-M Steelhead rod...  but if you don't want to make a new purchase, just do whatever you can to keep your rod tip as high & far out over the water, as possible...  maybe an extra long front bank stick placed a couple feet out from the bank would be enough

also, thin-diameter non-stretch line would be better for bite detection & less current drag, at distance

Thanks!......I think that might be a bit much for this small creek, but, I'm gearing up for the big MO and that may fit better-thank you very much for the specific details!!......trying a slough off the Mississippi Sunday if the weather holds....... ;).....

if you cast to the slack spot its perfect for any bait you throw there because there is no current so you should find a spot that will hold bottom. also i fish a spot very similar to this here in texas with current moving thru it but a couple of slack water spots. I approached it the old classic way a can of corn throw half of it out in a area (you'll be surprised how good it'll hold bottom) if its flowing that hard throw it a couple feet from the spot you want to fish and itll land there.

good luck 

• 3 weeks later...