Carp Anglers Group Forums

Video...carp removal from a Minnesota lake

RedRiverJay

If you have about 15 minutes to kill, here is a video of carp removal from a Minnesota lake.  It involved a net hundreds of feet long, and submarines,,,,through ice!!

From an ecological point of view, can carp over-run a lake to a point that such drastic measures are needed?  That was the question going through my mind.

https://archive.org/details/Carp_Harvest

Well I am not an ecologist so.....but I do understand that anytime a particular species becomes out of balance...it can wreak havoc on the natural balance.

Limited options at that point....cull the conquering species or introduce a predator which also has long range problems

Edited by Manosteel

I keep hoping (I know, it's a bad idea) that they will introduce Wels catfish or paraiba to the Mississippi river system to control the Asian carp (bighead and silver)...

The genie is out of the bottle now...there is no putting it back in.  Either you introduce a ravenous predator capable of controlling the invasive species or the destruction of the waters all the way into the great lakes is inevitable...it's only a matter of time if nothing is done at all.

Can you imagine Wels or paraiba here in the states?  It would be sweet!

14 hours ago, Manosteel said:

Either you introduce a ravenous predator capable of controlling the invasive species 

In the bodies of water that contain saltwater/ Santee Cooper strain Stripped Bass that feed the Mississippi, they don't have the issues like on the Big Muddy. The Asian fry are slower than shad, and their Arial escape technique that evolved to protect it from the Mekong Catfish puts them right in the kill zone for Stripers who feed by rolling and disoriented  schools of bait fish on the surface in packs to feed.  The unfortunate thing is the Big Muddy is not conducive to Stripers. 

Stripers were originally considered an option for controlling the ale wife problem in the Great Lakes, but they were decided against as they would have eaten everything else too.

Blue cats are getting a taste for them, and after a 100 years of decline in their top end (largest caught)   Blue Cats, they are showing an increase in average size and new record fish are becoming more frequent over the last 6 years, getting bigger each year showing a relation to the Asian Carp bloom.  Infact the current US hook and line record was caught on half a Asian Carp in the Mo.

This is interesting.  I plan on running several copies of Wolfe, et al., to hand out at the upcoming outdoor expo where I will be doing a talk-and-teach on carp fishing.  The study shows that carp have no effect on bass and bluegill.  I fished a park in GA one or two years ago and watched a bass on a nest for three days.  Never saw a carp around the nest but the nest was surrounded by bluegill who were constantly being chased by the female bass.  BTW, she was about 18 inches long.  Here is the study- check it out.

Wolfe, M. D., Santucci Jr., V. J., Einfalt, L. M., Wahl, D. H. (2009): Effects of Common Carp on Reproduction, Growth, and Survival of Largemouth Bass and Bluegills. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 135(5), 975-983.

To say that common carp are detrimental to the aquatic environment is to use a really broad paintbrush.  Each body of water has to stand on its own merits.  That is why we have a number of different regulations in TN for size, limits, etc. on different species on different bodies of water.  Yesterday, a friend at church said he fished Lake Chickamauga two days and caught a total of 56 bass one day and 55 the next.  The lake is also the home of the record LM bass- a record which stood for over 50 years.  It has also produced common carp over 40 pounds.  Cant' wait until spring when the water levels are up and I can fish there!