Carp Anglers Group Forums

Back to back topics. Anyone know of any special techniques to go after the buffalo fish? I have heard that a soy based pack bait is fair choice for these guys. By chance last year I caught what I believe was a buffalo that to me looks like a Pokemon smh (gotta catch em all) lol. Well I love catch and release nowadays being that I'm not really a fan of, for lack of better terms, killing ANYTHING. I do however like to bring proteins to my table to provide food for my family and friends. I've been turned onto the idea that buffalo fish have a great taste. If anyone does not mind my motive would anyone be willing to step me into the proper direction? 

We get buffalo here in east Tennessee on a regular basis at our venue.  We have noted that they bite very lightly.  Very seldom do we get a run that sets off the bite alarm, even one beep.  needmotime2fish discovered that it is best to watch the line.  When the line straightens out, set the hook and hold on!  One thing that we prebait with is range cubes.  One carper feels the molasses in the cubes draw the buffs.  Good luck!  BTW, don't eat any fish out of the Tennessee or lower Hiwassee rivers- too many nasty chemicals from years gone by.

I live in SE TN. Come see me for some bank time!

On 6/6/2017 at 8:37 AM, Cannonball said:

We get buffalo here in east Tennessee on a regular basis at our venue.  We have noted that they bite very lightly.  Very seldom do we get a run that sets off the bite alarm, even one beep.  needmotime2fish discovered that it is best to watch the line.  When the line straightens out, set the hook and hold on!  One thing that we prebait with is range cubes.  One carper feels the molasses in the cubes draw the buffs.  Good luck!  BTW, don't eat any fish out of the Tennessee or lower Hiwassee rivers- too many nasty chemicals from years gone by.

I live in SE TN. Come see me for some b

Thank you Cannonball, I would absolutely be happy to join you on some bank time one day. If it's okay with you I'd like to take my dad along with one day he and I haven't ever fished in TN. My father also hasn't caught buffs or carp, that's going out and trying to catch one of course. I'm trying to turn him onto carp fishing so I have my all time favorite fishing partner for 20 some odd years to go with. That being said we'll keep in touch and see what we can get set up one day. What time of the year is decent for catching Big Buffs?

Looking forward to it.  Let me know in advance so I can bait the area.  Really not able to set a definite time.  needmotime2fish and another usually trek up here in the spring and fall but I plan on fishing a lot in the meantime.  Was going to fish this week but asthma and allergies flared up and kept me inside most of the time.  Maybe next week.  Will keep  you posted on what transpires (how's that for a big word?).

14 hours ago, Cannonball said:

Looking forward to it.  Let me know in advance so I can bait the area.  Really not able to set a definite time.  needmotime2fish and another usually trek up here in the spring and fall but I plan on fishing a lot in the meantime.  Was going to fish this week but asthma and allergies flared up and kept me inside most of the time.  Maybe next week.  Will keep  you posted on what transpires (how's that for a big word?).

James,  we usually make at least one trip in the spring and another in the fall, to fish with 'Cannonball'.  We usually catch both buffs (smallmouth buffalo, where we're fishing) and carp at both times.  Because of the TWRA (?) drawing down Chickamauga Lake for the winter, our spot isn't good at that time because of low water.  Personally, I have never tried it in the summertime -- but I would expect there to be plenty of both species available.  John (Cannonball) can send you a link with the lake level schedules as posted by TWRA.

Also, another angler friend of mine who has considerable experience fishing the Tennessee River system, told me that baiting with cracked corn attracts buffs.  Also I once read on a pay lake Forum that adding black pepper in your pack bait works well for buffs.  Disclaimer --  I can neither confirm nor reject either of those tips from personal experience.

Spices like pepper seem to attract buff's. I have caught quite a few with homemade habernero/jalapeno boilies and mixing habernero/jalapeno boilies into my packbait. To catch them you can't wait for the alarms to sound; you have to watch the line.

Can't say I have cracked buffs at all, but I use a fine tipped rod ( quiver-tip) and you  certainly have a better chance of spotting the bite with such a rod. I have tried, without any real success, to catch buffs on a float (bobber) system on the basis that such a method should make even the slightest bite detectable.  I suspect that my lack of success with a  float may be that buffs dont take a moving bait...they seem to be grazers. I have caught many buffs where the line and hook has been blown out of the gills. When this happens, you most definitely get a "run"!

I would suspect that a lot depends on what size buffs you are targeting and if you are fishing for the pot, then buffs in the 2-5lb would seem ideal. For buffs of this size, I find worm or worm/cocktail effective especially in cooler weather.  They appear to be shoal fish, especially at this size and so your problem is finding/ attracting a shoal. To this end, prebaiting can be very effective.

I haven't tried spice/pepper and so cannot comment on it. I am happy to fish using a system that can account equally for buffs and carp.

Tony