Carp Anglers Group Forums
Gregory Dalbec

Tidal river carping

Hey all

New here, enjoy the sport, good site,lots of info.

Starting to poke around the tidal rivers, some big,some smaller. 

Question is, baiting and watercraft.  Anything specific I should be baiting with.  Usually do a mixed particle, hemp,tiger nut and boilie blend. Any flavors work better than others?

What kind of features or structures should I target? Depth? Since some are deep don't really have confidence in 40' + of water. Guessing a freshwater creek running into brackish or downright salty water be a good place to start..... Weed beds,mudflats and such as well?

Thanks in advance.  G

You can be successful in tidal rivers fishing flats that are dry land at low tide. I typically don't worry too much about the depth, but look for the weed line and drop off areas and fish just off them. Structure is also good. The key is finding the feeding behavior of the carp as sometimes they will be feeding hard on a specific tide (incoming, outgoing, high, low etc).

Bait wise, particles work well, as long as they don't wash away! Maize is always effective and I've caught plenty on chick peas. Due to the tidal nature I tend to add oils or powders to my baits to create a scent trail. Remember to take into account the flow as where you bait is not necessarily where the bait will end up.

Up your line/braid (15lb mono or 50lb braid is good) add a leader (leadcore or 30lb mono) and up your end tackle with bigger hooks as the fish fight a lot harder than lake carp!

Good luck.

19 hours ago, Brookesy said:

You can be successful in tidal rivers fishing flats that are dry land at low tide. I typically don't worry too much about the depth, but look for the weed line and drop off areas and fish just off them. Structure is also good. The key is finding the feeding behavior of the carp as sometimes they will be feeding hard on a specific tide (incoming, outgoing, high, low etc).

Bait wise, particles work well, as long as they don't wash away! Maize is always effective and I've caught plenty on chick peas. Due to the tidal nature I tend to add oils or powders to my baits to create a scent trail. Remember to take into account the flow as where you bait is not necessarily where the bait will end up.

Up your line/braid (15lb mono or 50lb braid is good) add a leader (leadcore or 30lb mono) and up your end tackle with bigger hooks as the fish fight a lot harder than lake carp!

Good luck.

Thanks Booksy for the reply. 

Yes I'm figuring tidal river fish are the true champion athletes in the carp world. My learning curve on the tackle end of my carp fishing career was swift and severe. A few too many heartbreaking defeats due to bear hunting with a bb gun Lol! What you describe kit wise is pretty much my norm.

Might have to try concocting some perrywinkle/fiddler crab boilie...

I'm going to feed a couple swims,spend some time plumbing for feature, and observation of different tides.

Thanks G