Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
(OH) Vinsanity

CAG Ohio - Exploration July 15th, 2017

It's that time again! Another Fish-in/Multiple Fish-ins are scheduled for this month. July will be a bit different than any other fish-in. We will split the state into three regions; South, Central and North. This will be a time to discover a new body of water that hasn't been fished. You are not confined to your region, but I would like to see each region hold their own gathering to potentially put a new location on the map for next year.

I will let each region talk among themselves and decide on a location. This will be a one day event from Saturday 6am to Saturday 10pm. If you would like to extend it until Sunday at noon let me know.

Please feel free to post up any questions you may have. Thanks!

Sounds like a plan.  AS a former resident of OH, I would think there are lots of lakes and rivers that would be good, provided there is access.  FWIW, back just after the earth cooled, my father hooked a big carp on Big Walnut Creek where the barns for Scioto Downs are now.  That was my uncle's farm.  Dad yelled for the net but by the time I got there, the carp took one look at him, rolled and threw the hook.  Good carping!

22 hours ago, Cannonball said:

Sounds like a plan.  AS a former resident of OH, I would think there are lots of lakes and rivers that would be good, provided there is access.  FWIW, back just after the earth cooled, my father hooked a big carp on Big Walnut Creek where the barns for Scioto Downs are now.  That was my uncle's farm.  Dad yelled for the net but by the time I got there, the carp took one look at him, rolled and threw the hook.  Good carping!

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find spots that have never been carp fished by the group here in Ohio. That's the objective of this event, Most of the lakes have been explored in the Cincinnati, Columbus, and Akron/Cleveland area. Northwest and southeast Ohio are areas that are relatively unexplored mainly because we have no members local.

Edited by Vinsanity

Lake St. Mary's near the towns of Celina and St. Mary's come to mind.  The Maumee River goes through Toledo.  Northeast OH has Berlin Lake (my uncle used to fish there), Lake Milton, Michael Kirwan Reservoir near Youngstown and Akron might be possibilities.  Mosquito Creek near Warren.  Pymatuming  Reservoir has tons of carp, if I recall from days gone by.  Not sure what size they would be.  Good luck!  To me, half of the fun of carping is scouting out new places.  FWIW, I have one place that is in a wildlife management area.  Two birds with one stone- hunting and carping.