Carp Anglers Group Forums

FFF Advice?

NJ - Ryan Munn

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this since I couldn't put it on the FFF forum itself... anyway, I'm getting a CAG membership this Christmas and I plan on participating in the FFF this year. However, I've never fished in the winter before and I'm not sure what works best. 

Recently, water temperatures have been in the mid 40s, and I predict they will approach the high 30s on January 1st. With that being said, I assume I should focus on the deeper water? I've also heard that oxygenation is important, so I've found a swim where a shallow creek flows into a deep hole, around 15 feet, in a secluded bay off a large river. Does this sound like a productive swim, or should I concentrate more on the shallower areas that might get more sunlight exposure?

Finally, I'm used to prebaiting large amounts in the spring and fall but I'm aware less is more in the water months. I plan to chum half a gallon of particle on December 30th, simply to get them rooting around on the bottom for freebies.

Any opinions or other tips are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Ryan

On 12/12/2017 at 9:52 AM, Lizardman529 said:

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this since I couldn't put it on the FFF forum itself... anyway, I'm getting a CAG membership this Christmas and I plan on participating in the FFF this year. However, I've never fished in the winter before and I'm not sure what works best. 

Recently, water temperatures have been in the mid 40s, and I predict they will approach the high 30s on January 1st. With that being said, I assume I should focus on the deeper water? I've also heard that oxygenation is important, so I've found a swim where a shallow creek flows into a deep hole, around 15 feet, in a secluded bay off a large river. Does this sound like a productive swim, or should I concentrate more on the shallower areas that might get more sunlight exposure?

Finally, I'm used to prebaiting large amounts in the spring and fall but I'm aware less is more in the water months. I plan to chum half a gallon of particle on December 30th, simply to get them rooting around on the bottom for freebies.

Any opinions or other tips are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Ryan

Ryan--It's obvious you've done some review of what works in the winter.  Your location, depth, and prebaiting, in my opinion, are all on track,.  Best of luck! --Frank

In my short experience (but fishing throughout the year), the fish will hit, but everything is slower-very soft takes, minimal runs, and slow fights....I totally agree finding slack water below riffles and deeper water will help-you may pre-bait but very little-they're not going to move and eat a lot, so you want them to take your bait. Most of all, be prepared for the cold-you may be sitting a while....I have a portable propane heater, hand/foot warmers, etc........I also believe warming your pack bait helps disperse scent and draw fish in.......I loved my first FFF and caught fish, but be prepared!!!......a lot is weather dependent..........................good luck!!!