Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
(GA) needmotime2fish

Georgia Angler Awards

See  http://georgiawildlife.com/fishing/anglerawards  for full details about the Georgia Angler Awards program.

I know that many of you, myself included, don't really care much about being "officially recognized" for catching a good fish.  For me it's mostly just a matter of personal satisfaction when (if) everything comes together, and I manage to catch a nice carp now & then.

HOWEVER -- as Iain recently pointed out to me, if more and more carp anglers would report their catches of carp through their state awards program, perhaps the state agencies would take notice, and then they might start paying more attention when one of us makes a request or a suggestion.

Many states have awards programs that include carp.  Here in GA, a "kept" (killed) carp must weigh 15 pounds to be entered.  But the program also allows RELEASED fish to be entered, and carp -- both commons and grass carp -- need only measure 31" to qualify for an award.  

The web link above gives complete details and also has a link to the official entry form.

While I do encourage you to enter your fish -- if only to help demonstrate to the DNR that Georgia does have a large contingent of carp anglers -- I would also suggest that you be careful that the photographs you submit do not give away the location.  You never know when the bowfishers might be checking those pictures to look for new spots to shoot.

1 hour ago, (GA) needmotime2fish said:

Many states have awards programs that include carp.  Here in GA, a "kept" (killed) carp must weigh 15 pounds to be entered.  But the program also allows RELEASED fish to be entered, and carp -- both commons and grass carp -- need only measure 31" to qualify for an award.  

Thanks for posting this Barry and yes indeed the more folk who apply for the catch & release trophy fish awards for carp the better. 

sadly here in SC , the only records that are kept for Carp and Gar are for those killed by bow fishing, the only ruff fish record SC recognizes for being caught on rod and reel is for Bowfin. I guess thats because the world record Bowfin was caught here in SC.....