Carp Anglers Group Forums

So, the IGFA has grand slams for "popular" fish species (Bass, trout, inshore saltwater fish, etc.- three species in a day, 4 species in a day, etc. ). I had some time at a conference I was presenting at in Utah, so I got a guide and we went dry fly fishing, and nymphing. Well, I caught a bucket -list fish my brother and I only dreamed of- Grayling!!!!... We always thought we'd have to go to Alaska for them, but I caught more grayling than any other fish, in creeks no one would think held fish....The day proceeded with rainbow, cutthroat, brook, grayling and the trip ended with a fair number of brown trout!!!......Interestingly we found a chunk from the middle of the body of a very dark carp- no head, no tail, floating in the river............. an eagle or osprey maybe................within 48 hours of returning, just had to go creeking for carp though, and, uh, cattin too!... :).....oh, and the conference was good too!....  :)      MO

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_1585 (10).JPG

IMG_1595 (20).JPG

IMG_1596 (21).JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_E0566.JPG

Damn! Beautiful fish. I’ve caught all of those except Grayling when I used to fly fish all the time. I just can’t manage the streams on my legs these days and found carp fishing to be a suitable substitute for my situation. I loved examining the insect life and matching the hatches at the time, very exciting hitting massive trout on a small dry fly. I’ve still got all of my gear.

The colors of the trout are spectacular.

Good for you! I had a Smoky Mountain NP Grand Slam once- 5 rainbows, 4 browns and 2 brook trout in one day. Like to go back and try again.