Carp Anglers Group Forums
Nanook

Fall pack baits

Been blanking with oats, creamed corn and pineapple flavoring on my last three sessions. Could be not many carp in the areas, could be the rivers are flooded, could be the wrong pack bait?? Our temperature has been 50-70’s, so not very cold, but I’m struggling to catch fish. Using maize, fake maize, pop up mainline boilies, tigernuts by RH and various flavored RH corn/maize. I’m wondering what I can do to up my game.

It sounds like you are fishing on the bank next to me, haha. 

In the last couple of weeks the carp action has gone from bad to zero on the waters here. Like it does every fall.

The water temp is in the mid 50's so you know they are still active as ever, so perhaps it is the food source.  Some of the weeds are dying off now, especially the water chestnuts, which carpeted large areas, and are now putting tons of dead plant matter and roots in the water..  I wonder if the weed die-offs create a large abundance of 'new' food and the carp are stuffed with that and not interested in bait.

<:///><

Hehe. A guy in his 60’s stopped next to me about four hours into my session and caught several drum, catfish and even a small carp or buffalo using worms. It was depressing! About an hour before I left I tried adding some cc moore pellet mix to a pva bag with an Odyssey popup boilie to at least catch a catfish, to no avail. Fishing for anything with worms was always productive🤪

The lake I was fishing was several feet above flood stage since it’s attached to the river, so that might be affecting things a bit, but that guy next to me was doing just fine. I spoke to a fisheries biologist who has been in the field here in Missouri for 30 years, here is what he said about our local lakes:

With respect to accessible common carp fishing opportunities, there simply are not that many.  Some large carp do occur in a variety of lakes (including Bee Tree and Creve Coeur), but their numbers are low.  Busch Lake 33 does have slightly greater numbers of large carp and given that a mowed levee encircles most of the lake, it is relatively accessible in addition to the floating fishing dock near the dam.  The most robust carp population I can think of resides in Sunfish Lake (Spanish Lake County Park in north STL County).  Though some larger carp (10-15 pounds) exist, the majority average 3 pounds.  Most of the shoreline is wooded, but shoreline adjacent to the parking area is cleared/mowed.  Larger brush piles seem to attract carp in this lake, but the northern basin is relatively shallow and seems to hold the majority of fish. 

I'm sorry I cannot provide more leads for lake/pond common carp fishing near St. Louis. Good luck with your future fishing trips.

This is a guy who writes articles for the Missouri Conservation Magazine and has been on many TV programs talking about fishing here. He also shocks many lakes in the spring to assess health and populations. I actually saw them shocking in a John boat one day on a lake I routinely took 5-15 pound carp and only catfish and bluegill were taken. All the carp that used to be regularly stocked have been caught and eaten, or slowly dissipated with the years passing.

I’m going to see if I can find some access nearby to the Mississippi, all but a few small locations are on private property, making it difficult to fish if you’re gimpy like myself. Plus, the rivers have been badly flooded this year. My Big 4 is currently ZERO, ZIP, NADA & ZILCH😂🤣😂

Bait really doesn't matter much IMHO. Carp will typically eat anything you throw at them in the fall, it is just common sense, they are not fancy gourmets in a 5-stars restaurant, they need to fatten up for the winter, preferably fast...

The most likely explanation is that they moved elsewhere to find natural food. In other words, try new spots... Non-competitive carp fishing is really all about time & location.

Much appreciated. I’m struggling finding fishable swims.

For what it's worth, I found where some of the local carp have gone since they seemingly disappeared from all my swims.

Yesterday was a warm, sunny, and calm day and I was canoeing on the shallow side of a large island.  The water was a foot to 3 ft. deep with a muddy, silty bottom.  All summer and up to a week ago the entire area was clogged solid with water chestnuts, which have just died off, allowing that side to paddled now.  The surface is pretty much covered with floating pieces of the dead water chestnuts and their roots.  And carp.  Hundreds of them.  On paddling through, dozens would spook at once with a lot of splashing and swirling.  In the shallower water some were banging into the canoe.

And as speculated above, many were feeding on the pieces of the chestnuts, as evidenced by their mouths and heads breaking out of the water in the debris, and a lot of clooping.  And many more were laying motionless, just under the surface, enjoying the sun.

Whether they could be caught in there is an interesting question.  Fishing from the shore is out of the question because of yards of dense cattails coming out from shore, and a mucky, sinky bottom.  Fishing from a boat would be the other alternative.  And I've found that fishing for carp from a canoe can be a really bad idea.

<:///><