Carp Anglers Group Forums
Nanook

Blanking in Missouri

Well, I entered the Fall Big 4 and caught one 26 pound grass carp, blanked on 6 or 7 other occasions. Simpson Lake two blanks and the Meramec River 4 or 5 blanks at different flood stages, the River was flooded and finally receding for a couple weeks now.

I get out there and spomb 10-15 times initially, use a combination of boilies, fake corn, real corn and Rod Hutchinson Tiger Nuts. Nothing! Very frustrating trying to find the damn carp. There is a great spot on the river where the MSD feed enters and the park guys said the carp are bow hunted there, but alas, I can’t get down the steep hill to fish it. 

Im struggling trying to find them, lots of rivers but nothing in my matt! Maybe a fish finder or something to see if carp are anywhere within a mile from my chosen spot🤣

Blank is the most used word in my fishing log this time of year. You have to hit the carp in the head with your hook to (maybe) get a take now.

But at least you guys can keep trying down there.  Here, the small ponds and bays are already frozen over, and it won't be long before the river will be iced over too.  It already started once, then we got a few days of this weather in the 40's.

Now, maybe if I bait a tip up with some corn...........................

<:///><

So, I shouldn’t take it personally 😂

I am fishing areas where I know big carp inhabit, but they’re either deeper, farther out, or way upstream. I’m wondering if I should just wait until Spring? Or, heavily prebait a swim for a few days prior to see if that brings them in. It sure would be nice if there was just ONE person in my area I could fish with for pointers.

There used to be a Missouri Chair named Dave but his messages are turned off and his phone number that was posted is not in service, so maybe he checked out altogether. 

That's why you go to the creeks!!!.......find the holes with riffles filling in, fish no more than halfway through the hole-chum the riffles above the hole, use small 15-30g lead and patience-in summer 10min max before recasting, in winter, 20-30......or use straight sweet corn on a korda crank hook #4 or #6..........you will catch them- no runs, just soft taps and they fight like logs, but still fun!!!......going tomorrow or Monday and I'll show-em.........:jumpy:   MO

Historically, here in New England,  the first few weeks in October are terrific for Big fish and good numbers.  But the end does come quickly. By the end of October and into early November

the cooperative fish that were around just two weeks prior are no longer as easy to catch.  (regardless of a steady baiting campaign)  That is not to say you cannot catch them into November but you should expect the change and fewer fish.   This is just a general statement and just My opinion but if you notice, the weights on the leaderboard have not changed much

over the last few weeks.  

Todd 

Thanks for the replies! I think I’ve gotten much better on technique, speed, and my ability to get rods in the water quickly. I’m just new and lacking fish captures. Creeks are tough for me due to disability unfortunately, but I’ve fished them and the Mississippi sloughs over the years with really big carp up to 20 pounds. I’ll probably use the winter to read and learn how to tie rigs with longer hairs than the pretied rigs have for more pickups.

Tying hairs is no big deal.  When I get low on hairs I just sit in front of the boob tube and tie up enough to replenish my supply all at once.  Get a box that has a lot of small compartments and put your finished hairs in them, one to a compartment, to avoid untangling future messes.

Take a look at this:  https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=how+to+tie+a+hair+rig#id=2&vid=1b4bd81911e7338dc36c4eeda5fa2fd3&action=click

Tie your hair rigs with different length hairs, keeping the short ones on one side of the box, and the long ones on the other.  You don't need a long hair for a couple kernels of corn, but you'll need longer ones for bread balls, or whatever.

One thing I usually do different from the video is tie my hairs into a long loop, and not the tiny little loop you usually see at the end of the hair.  Depending on how long you want the hair to be, you hold the hair against the hook at that length and do your wraps.  You'll wrap the knot creating the hair right into the wraps, against the hook.  The reason I do this is there is no knot to rip a hole in my corn kernels.  Also, after short time my braid hairs will fray, making it harder to get the baiting needle through the little loop.  With the whole hair being a loop, this doesn't happen as much. At first I was worried that having a double line creating the hair would make it easier for the fish to detect, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Try them both ways and see what you think.

I tie my rigs with the hair long enough to hold a third fake corn kernel, but I only use two. However, I have shortened the length of the rig to about 1.5". This allows the rig to float just above the pack. To me, the pre-tied rigs are far too long; I tie all my own and feel I have more consistent catches.....Here's some creek carp from this week, including today's baby carp!

IMG_3466.JPGIMG_3471.JPGIMG_3482.JPGIMG_3632.JPG

8 hours ago, (MO) MOCarper said:

I tie my rigs with the hair long enough to hold a third fake corn kernel, but I only use two. However, I have shortened the length of the rig to about 1.5". This allows the rig to float just above the pack. To me, the pre-tied rigs are far too long; I tie all my own and feel I have more consistent catches.....Here's some creek carp from this week, including today's baby carp!

IMG_3466.JPGIMG_3471.JPGIMG_3482.JPGIMG_3632.JPG

Congrats on the fish mocarper

I didn't mention the "other end" of the way I tie my hairs, which isn't mentioned a lot of the time.

I tie a loop in the end of the hair  (just tie a comfortable size loop, the size doesn't matter) by bringing the end of the line back on itself (a bight), forming the  loop, then tying a surgeon's knot ( an overhand knot brought through twice).

Then I push the end of the loop through one end of a swivel, bring the loop up and over the swivel, back down to the line, and pull tight.  The swivel gives me something to easily tie to.