Carp Anglers Group Forums
Carpin94

Cheap/effective groundbait/chum?

I recently started fishing a local lake that has decent carp fishing. I’m wondering what feed/chum whatever the proper term is that I can use to consistently throw into my fishing spot on a regular basis to start to get more fish to hang out in the area? I am on a budget so something relatively cheap/ effective/ high volume would be great. 

5 hours ago, Carpin94 said:

I recently started fishing a local lake that has decent carp fishing. I’m wondering what feed/chum whatever the proper term is that I can use to consistently throw into my fishing spot on a regular basis to start to get more fish to hang out in the area? I am on a budget so something relatively cheap/ effective/ high volume would be great. 

I find field corn (soaked in pond water for 24 hours) to be effective and inexpensive, $12.49 for 50 lb of whole corn at Tractor Supply. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-whole-corn-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

There are as many ways to prepare bait as Carter has little liver pills. I mix deer corn and cracked corn (Jimmy cracks the corn for me but I don't care), add water and any flavor from the grocery shelf and bring to a boil. Take off the burner and let it sit to absorb the water. I stir it occasionally.

17 hours ago, SoCalCarper said:

range cubes/ cattle cubes cheap and very effective 

Yes, that, too. Get a catapult (slingshot or flip, depending on where you live). You get good coverage in your swim in just a few minutes. Keep putting out some range cubes (actually range cylinders) periodically to keep them in the area. Good luck!

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

On 12/22/2019 at 6:36 PM, Dale Holmes said:

I find field corn (soaked in pond water for 24 hours) to be effective and inexpensive, $12.49 for 50 lb of whole corn at Tractor Supply. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-whole-corn-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

I just bought 50# at Tractor Supply yesterday, and the price was less than $10.  So yes, that's always a good option.  So is cracked corn -- about the same price.  I soak mine for about a day, then boil it slowly for 1/2 hour.  Not sure that the boiling is necessary.

After soaking overnight,  I always boil my feed corn.  Just noting the amount of water it soaks up when boiling it (I have to keep adding more), and the amount it expands in the pot (only fill the boiling pot up halfway or the boiled corn may be spilling on onto the burner, which makes the Mrs. quite unhappy) tells me the boiling does a lot and is necessary.

I have 3 buckets of boiled feed corn ready to go--from last fall.  They have been sitting out in the yard under the boats, frozen solid, all winter.  Who knows, maybe soaked, boiled, frozen, and aged corn will be the magic elixir!

13 hours ago, (GA) needmotime2fish said:

I just bought 50# at Tractor Supply yesterday, and the price was less than $10.  So yes, that's always a good option.  So is cracked corn -- about the same price.  I soak mine for about a day, then boil it slowly for 1/2 hour.  Not sure that the boiling is necessary.

I think boiling is necessary after soaking it.  The corn is still very hard compared to boiling it for 1/2 hour. I boil it till it starts to split or I can put my nail through it easily.  

Go to your local livestock feed store. So many cheap chum options. Range cubes, sweet feed, chicken feed, calf manna, oats, corn, etc, etc. The only thing to keep an eye on is to not buy feeds with medication added.

I remember one time I mixed up sweet corn, hemp, oats with a ground bait I bought in italy.  I forgot the name.  I chummed up a spot on the lake by the margins, I never saw a feeding frenzy like that in my life.  It turned into a battle.