Carp Anglers Group Forums
Earl Story

Equipment advice for a beginner

I just started Carp fishing purpose this year and am ready to invest in some specialized equipment.

I want to use open face bait runners for reels but with all of the available ones I've seen I'd like so recommendations.

Same with rods. hooks, etc.

Thanks  

post a price range and i can offer suggestions. ive had rod and reel from the 30 range to 1200 range.

starting range you can go with a daiwa BRI, okuma avenger runners, shimano baitrunners,  upper range can be any of the shimano bait runners. daiwa has great upper range as well infinity X and tournament daiwa range are awesome. 

hooks i have gone through many but korda was my go to till they all started snapping before my 10-15lb test would. solar, fox are my go to now.

rods daiwa black widows are good begginer rods with mix reviews i love them even one a tourney with them . they were good until i gave them away to a new angler. resistance tackle rods were very good to me as well but they went out of business. fox low range rods are great as well. i now have two sets of harrison rods and never looked back.

GOOD LUCK i went through thousands of dollars of gear and i wished i wouldve got something decent from the start. i own daiwa tournament ISO's and Daiwa windcast now

Hey Earl!

Welcome aboard!- thanks for joining CAG!- We have  a very active Kansas City Carpers group; Kevin Zirjacks leads us-he's based in Kansas and I in Missouri. You ask a loaded question!-

I started with a split shot below a bullet weight, a #6 gamakatsu circle hook with sweet corn and caught hundreds and hundreds of carp, and still do, but gradually upped my game to Daiwa EmCastBR baitrunners, NGT pod with a variety of bite alarms, hangers, clips, etc. on 9ft stalker rods.....I am not casting more than 75 yards and I don't think you need to around here. I do mostly creek fishing in the winter and lake fishing in the spring/summer/fall. I have a creek set of 5-6 ft ultralight rods with NGT 15/24/30g method leads and a lake set of the aforementioned rods, pods and alarms and use a rubber net, sling, landing matt, scale, etc. etc.. I don't use the bite alarms and clips in the winter as the bite is very slow and you get few true runs.... I use a variety of panko/sweetcorn jello powder packs with or without chumming.

So, in short, how do you want to fish?, what are you looking for?

Here's what I caught yesterday and today-pretty average creek fish except the last one- a golden ghost!!................forgot my hat today though!

Keep in touch!....... MO

common carp december 22 2019.JPGcarp dec 23 2019.JPGCommon carp caught december 23 2019.JPGCommon carp dec 23 2019.JPGcommon carp december 23 2019.JPGghost carp caught december 23 2019.JPGghost carp december 23 2019.JPG

MOCarper always shows some fantastic photos of carp. He is also sponsored by the America Dental Association.😁

Thanks all! I'll be fishing Hillsdale lake that is mostly rocky bottom. Various state lakes under 500 acres with muddy/weedy bottom, and The Kansas river it's got a sand bottom and moderate current. 

18 hours ago, (MO) MOCarper said:

Hey Earl!

Welcome aboard!- thanks for joining CAG!- We have  a very active Kansas City Carpers group; Kevin Zirjacks leads us-he's based in Kansas and I in Missouri. You ask a loaded question!-

I started with a split shot below a bullet weight, a #6 gamakatsu circle hook with sweet corn and caught hundreds and hundreds of carp, and still do, but gradually upped my game to Daiwa EmCastBR baitrunners, NGT pod with a variety of bite alarms, hangers, clips, etc. on 9ft stalker rods.....I am not casting more than 75 yards and I don't think you need to around here. I do mostly creek fishing in the winter and lake fishing in the spring/summer/fall. I have a creek set of 5-6 ft ultralight rods with NGT 15/24/30g method leads and a lake set of the aforementioned rods, pods and alarms and use a rubber net, sling, landing matt, scale, etc. etc.. I don't use the bite alarms and clips in the winter as the bite is very slow and you get few true runs.... I use a variety of panko/sweetcorn jello powder packs with or without chumming.

So, in short, how do you want to fish?, what are you looking for?

Here's what I caught yesterday and today-pretty average creek fish except the last one- a golden ghost!!................forgot my hat today though!

Keep in touch!....... MO

common carp december 22 2019.JPGcarp dec 23 2019.JPGCommon carp caught december 23 2019.JPGCommon carp dec 23 2019.JPGcommon carp december 23 2019.JPGghost carp caught december 23 2019.JPGghost carp december 23 2019.JPG

Very nice indeed!

14 hours ago, (TN) Cannonball said:

MOCarper always shows some fantastic photos of carp. He is also sponsored by the America Dental Association.😁

Ha!- you're funny!.........and no, they don't sponsor me; in fact, I haven't been to a dentist in more than 30 years!!!!..don't floss-just brush well twice daily.........hmmm maybe a little TMI?..........auditioned for the Joker part but didn't have the right smile!!......😊

If you had landed the Joker part and made a couple of million, just think of all the carp gear you could have bought. Maybe even a chauffeur-driven barrow. Always enjoy your photos...and the smile. Happy holidays!

On 12/24/2019 at 11:49 AM, Earl Story said:

Thanks all! I'll be fishing Hillsdale lake that is mostly rocky bottom. Various state lakes under 500 acres with muddy/weedy bottom, and The Kansas river it's got a sand bottom and moderate current. 

Welcome to CAG! Hooray! Another carper in the KC area! Like MOCarper said, there is a great bunch of anglers here in the KC area. We fish all over the area and have found some absolute gems. If you do Facebook, search for our group "Kansas City Carp Anglers" . I would be more than happy to let you come check out my gear and just talk carp anytime! Again, welcome to the addiction! 😁