Carp Anglers Group Forums

I have heard rumors of large carp in Chickamauga Lake. I will be posting my findings here for others to enjoy. I have caught several right below the dam, but none on the lake side so far. Smallest being a 6 pounder. Largest a 23 pounder. All commons.

For anyone who fishes this lake, please post your findings, records, or stories below. 

There have been reports of carp over 30 and 40 but BFers clean them out. Tennessee Wildlife magazine had an article on carp fishing about 10 years ago. The writer pinpointed the place. Bad move. Ran across an ad for BFing guide in Dayton, TN. Fished the Chick a couple of times. Was told that one has to bait real heavy but the time from home isn't conducive to baiting every day when there are places much closer. Problem around here is the lack of access. If you look at an aerial map of the Chick on Google Earth Pro, there are very, very few places that offer access. I printed off the fishing access list for the TWRA. I decided to check on a few of them. One was fishing off a bank of about 8 to 10 feet high.  Others were bank areas that were nothing but dirt and/or mud.

Are you referring to Vincent drive? They have banned Big fishing there. I was actually going to go fishing there this weekend hopefully. I was going to start putting bait out there today. The question for me what is do I do it at the boat launch where the article mentioned? Or do I do it at the slough that is a quarter mile down the road? Both have weeds but one you can park on the water the other you have to walk a little bit

On 3/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, Nortado_Loco said:

......... Vincent drive........

Ah, the Vincent Swim. Fond memories.  On 06-24-2007, I landed a 30-5 common there.

Chickamauga__30lb5oz.jpg

We fished it a few times.  We only had a few days each time but did well.  Most fish were over 20lbs!  

You guys are making me excited. I'm going to swing by there today and see how low the water is. If it isn't too low then I plan on fishing there all weekend. If it is low, then I may just spend the weekend at the dam again. If you guys don't mind me asking, how far from the bank were you guys putting baits? It seems to stay relatively shallow for a good ways. 

2 hours ago, Nortado_Loco said:

You guys are making me excited. I'm going to swing by there today and see how low the water is. If it isn't too low then I plan on fishing there all weekend. If it is low, then I may just spend the weekend at the dam again. If you guys don't mind me asking, how far from the bank were you guys putting baits? It seems to stay relatively shallow for a good ways. 

it will be real low. IMHO, it won't be fishable until the lake is at summer pool and, even then, it is shallow for a ways out from the waterline. Check it out, though. You might go to the dam. Need to have you show me where to fish below the dam. Never fished Chickamauga Dam before.

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

4 hours ago, Nortado_Loco said:

If you guys don't mind me asking, how far from the bank were you guys putting baits? It seems to stay relatively shallow for a good ways. 

My recollection is that I was fishing about 35-50 yards from shore. My terminal tackle didn't take long to hit bottom.

Got rained out yesterday, but I got out there early this morning. No action. Water is crazy low. So I'm sitting at the dam now. Trying further up the creek by the dam at the moment. If I do not get some action in the next hour or so, then I will move further down and try to find some calmer water. Super muddy today river side.