Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ken

Basking Carp

Today was the first day in a while that the wind wasn't trying to  blow your hat off,  and it was sunny and up to 50 degrees to boot.  I probably should have been fishing, but instead was walking the beagle along the locks on the Erie Canal in Waterford.  There are 5 locks here, and they raise the canal 170 feet, the highest lift in that distance anywhere in the world (for you trivia hounds).  The state drains the water between these locks every winter for maintenance, leaving pools of water (some like small ponds) here and there.

I was on the concrete in front of the gates of a lock and could look down 20 feet into one of these canal wide ponds that looked to be around 2 feet deep and crystal clear.  There were three schools of carp, one with about 40 fish, and the other two with a couple dozen or so.  They were all laying there motionless, obviously enjoying the sun without a thought of feeding.  Every so often, one or two would move a few feet and stop, but for the most part they all were staying put.  Interestingly,  all the fish in all three schools were pointing in the same direction. None of the fish were big, probably all in the 5 to 10 pound range.   A hundred feet closer to the gates there were 8 - 10 cats laying on the bottom doing the same thing-nothing.

I wasn't too excited about running the 9 miles back to the house for my fishing gear because whenever I've seen carp exhibiting this behavior in the past, they won't bite on anything, even later on when the water is warm.  In the summer, the carp will bask in the sun in weed beds and under the edges of lily pads, as well as the shallows.  Sometimes you will paddle up to a school of these sunning fish, which will all spook at once, erupting the surface in a shower of noisy, splashing swirls.  When in shallow water they will sometimes give the canoe a good bump when they run into it.

So, while I haven't caught any yet this year, I got to see a bunch today!         <:///><                                                                                                                                                                                                                

I haven’t been out this year, but hopefully soon. We don’t have lakes with carp, but we do have big rivers, only problem is access due to all the private property limitations.

Seems like it was a nice day to get out for a walk. Next time bring the rod :)