Carp Anglers Group Forums

I just read an interesting article from the U.K., about not boiling corn, and the effects it has on carp.  In a nutshell, a carp does not have a stomach.  All it's digestion takes place in the intestine, which is roughly twice the length of the fish.  When you toss out unboiled maize, or any other particle that can swell when it gets wet,  and it is eaten,  you can "distress" the fish or kill it.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:17 AM, (TN) Cannonball said:

I've never tossed out raw corn.  Interesting. Where is the article?

The day I posted about boiling corn was a rainy, cold, do-nothing-day and I spent part of the afternoon going from one carp site/forum to another trying to learn something.  Of course the site that had the article that inspired my post can't be relocated.  But the following link is typical of  several sites that warn of unboiled maize being potentially dangerous to carp.  Also, if you google up "Preparing Tiger Nuts", you will some of those sites saying the same thing about tiger nuts.

https://alcoveanglingclub.forumotion.net/t12-do-it-yourself-maize

It would be nice to see a scientific study that proves that unboiled maize is detrimental to carp health.  I was under the impression that the crusher teeth deep in a carp's throat could deal effectively with hard food items.  Bernie Haines, fishing and guiding on the St Lawrence, used to chum copious amounts of soaked, but not boiled, maize; I was witness to that and Bernie didn't seem to be bothered at all by chumming unboiled maize.

I found this interesting by English author Fred J. Taylor:

‘I took a visit to the USA before I began to associate the ghastly smell of soaked corn (maize) with the fantastic carp taken over there. Out in the hot sun great barrels of maize were left to ferment and after a few days began to smell to high heaven. So much so that handling the stuff (and everyone who passed by the barrel would take a handful and toss it into the lake) necessitated a scrub up with carbolic soap or disinfectant. That smell hung around for hours after the barrel had been disturbed, but there’s no doubt at all that the carp loved it and were attracted to it.

'This was light yellow field corn, similar to what we now call sweetcorn on the cob, but it remained fairly hard even after soaking.'

Edited by Alan

There is evidence that carp will eat, chew & vent tiger nuts & other particles and then come back and repeat the process on the previously chewed remains. This makes sense as carp have no stomach to hold and digest food in the same way as other fish so repeatedly eating the same food suggests this might maximize the amount of nutrients that can be extracted. 

Carp can also crunch up molluscs such as zebra mussels with relative ease so soaked but un-boilied corn should be no issue.