Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ken

Kudos And A Good Day

Awhile back Savayman posted that elastic hair bands make a great keeper for taken down rods.  I posted back that I use rubber bands and they work just fine.  Recently I spotted  a hair band in Wally's parking lot, and, remembering the post, picked it up, and tried it on a rod.  Yup, they work better than rubber bands and now I have them on all my rods.  The second kudo also goes to Savayman on the using of plastic beads as pick-ups when using pack.  As of today I am a believer.

This spring has been somewhat of a disaster for me as far as fishing goes.  Usually May turns into a very productive month, but blank has been the name of my game this May.  Like the last thirteen sessions have been blanks.  And it's not like I haven't been getting out.  With this Covid thing going on (and on) I haven't been working, and if it wasn't raining, I was fishing.  Taking up space on the bank is more like it.  It was so frustrating that when my 'never fail' baits, swims, and rigs all dismally failed, I went through the CAG baits and methods sections to get new stuff to try.  Same results!

This morning was a sunny beautiful one,  and I wound up down on the Hudson for a change of pace.  I've been concentrating on the shorelines of the Mohawk River because in a couple more weeks they will start being choked shut by water chestnuts.  And those shorelines usually turn out a lot of nice carp right now. What is happening there this year is beyond me.  Anyway, the first thing I noticed that was different today was I caught a fish.  Then, shortly after that, I caught another one.  Wow!  This is fun again.

So my strawberry pack was working to perfection with the fish coming in pretty regularly, and I toyed with the idea of trying Savayman's recommendation of using a plastic bead as a pick-up.  I was using two kernels of sweet corn, like I always do, and I really didn't want to interrupt 'my bite' with a plastic bead, but figured this would be the perfect time to see if it really worked, as the fish were there and cooperating.  So, with reservations I switched to a hair with a yellow plastic crow bead.  I'd give it a little while, then go back to the sweet corn.  Well, the 'little while' turned into four minutes and I had an 18lb - 3oz carp coming in to the net.  And I kept catching until I ran out of pack.  The cats like the crow bead too.  I am sold on the bead idea:  It sure beats the time consuming rebaiting with corn all the time.

Oh yeah; one more thing.  Earlier this year I bought a new Wychwood rod on here from buckeyeman, and outfitted it with a new Okuma baitrunner.  Today was the first time I used the rod, and that was the rod I was catching on.  Now I know that had nothing to do with finally breaking my nasty blanking streak, as I am not at all superstitious, but hey, you never know.............

I’ve blanked four times this year but I’m getting closer to catching a carp...I can feel it🤓I’ve been trying Creek mouths into the Mississippi River, bit of a drive but I’m going to get one soon.

What is the bead you speak of?

What is the bead you speak of?

I used a yellow crow bead (crafting bead),  available in Wally's craft isle.  There are three main types of beads:  Seed beads, which are the tiny ones for work on a loom, pony beads, and the crow beads which are the largest.  Just about the size of a large kernel of corn.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:42 PM, Ken said:

Awhile back Savayman posted that elastic hair bands make a great keeper for taken down rods.  I posted back that I use rubber bands and they work just fine.  Recently I spotted  a hair band in Wally's parking lot, and, remembering the post, picked it up, and tried it on a rod.  Yup, they work better than rubber bands and now I have them on all my rods.  The second kudo also goes to Savayman on the using of plastic beads as pick-ups when using pack.  As of today I am a believer.

This spring has been somewhat of a disaster for me as far as fishing goes.  Usually May turns into a very productive month, but blank has been the name of my game this May.  Like the last thirteen sessions have been blanks.  And it's not like I haven't been getting out.  With this Covid thing going on (and on) I haven't been working, and if it wasn't raining, I was fishing.  Taking up space on the bank is more like it.  It was so frustrating that when my 'never fail' baits, swims, and rigs all dismally failed, I went through the CAG baits and methods sections to get new stuff to try.  Same results!

This morning was a sunny beautiful one,  and I wound up down on the Hudson for a change of pace.  I've been concentrating on the shorelines of the Mohawk River because in a couple more weeks they will start being choked shut by water chestnuts.  And those shorelines usually turn out a lot of nice carp right now. What is happening there this year is beyond me.  Anyway, the first thing I noticed that was different today was I caught a fish.  Then, shortly after that, I caught another one.  Wow!  This is fun again.

So my strawberry pack was working to perfection with the fish coming in pretty regularly, and I toyed with the idea of trying Savayman's recommendation of using a plastic bead as a pick-up.  I was using two kernels of sweet corn, like I always do, and I really didn't want to interrupt 'my bite' with a plastic bead, but figured this would be the perfect time to see if it really worked, as the fish were there and cooperating.  So, with reservations I switched to a hair with a yellow plastic crow bead.  I'd give it a little while, then go back to the sweet corn.  Well, the 'little while' turned into four minutes and I had an 18lb - 3oz carp coming in to the net.  And I kept catching until I ran out of pack.  The cats like the crow bead too.  I am sold on the bead idea:  It sure beats the time consuming rebaiting with corn all the time.

Oh yeah; one more thing.  Earlier this year I bought a new Wychwood rod on here from buckeyeman, and outfitted it with a new Okuma baitrunner.  Today was the first time I used the rod, and that was the rod I was catching on.  Now I know that had nothing to do with finally breaking my nasty blanking streak, as I am not at all superstitious, but hey, you never know.............

For rod ties we found these velcro straps at Lowes. They work so well and are easy to use. 20200522_163536.jpg

20200522_163458.jpg

20200522_163522.jpg

Got some in red.  Needing to use them as cutting back on the stuff I carry to the bank for fishing.