Carp Anglers Group Forums

If you would suggest one thing to do to reduce hook pulls, what would it be?

Or, another way, in your opinion, what contributes to the most hook pulls?

Here's my take on this- drag too tight, trying to "horse" fish to the bank, lightly hooked in lips. What rig are you using? Hair rig? Bait in hook? Others more experienced will contribute here. Losing fish does allow for one to expand on the bankside vocabulary. 🤬

I think I've tried about everything that's out there.  Especially this year with more time than ever to fish.  I've been going through hair rigs vs bait on the hook, long hairs-short hairs, long hook links vs short hook links, running rigs, free lining, bolt rigs, different size (needle sharp) hooks, etc.  This isn't a new problem, rather a chronic problem of a life time. 

Another very frustrating one that is even more prevalent is the number of missed fish on the take.  I get many short hits that take a few inches of line, and stop.  These, of course, may not be all carp though.  I hope not.

You are absolutely right about the bankside vocabulary.  Which can be somewhat embarrassing on occasion.  Have you ever been fishing all by yourself and lost it, turning the air into  a dark blue stench,  then turn around and realize you aren't all alone?

Are the fish hitting light? I'm thinking it might be buffs mouthing the bait and dropping it.

FB members, let's help solve this dilemma.

Can you post a picture of your rig (hook link, hair, bait and lead arrangement)? 

Hooks with a short shank or circle hooks have a poor penetration angle and either don’t grab enough flesh or fall out.

I don't think too much of circle hooks for carp fishing either.

I have used a lot of Eagle Claw hooks, which I know don't come highly recommended here, as well as different models of the Gammy hooks.  This year I have been using two models of Wacker's carp hooks (anti snag and anti eject) in different sizes.  I haven't really used them enough yet to pass any judgments on them.  They don't have long shanks.

I just picked up a pack of Eagle Claw TroKar 'glow bug' hooks which are wide gap, short shank & surgically sharpened.  I tied up a couple hairs with them but haven't had them in the water yet.  Hopefully tomorrow. My thinking is the short shank may be picked up easier, and will not need as many wraps to get the hair up where it needs to be for the 45 degree angle.

As far as pictures go, it's tough to post mine because I'm still dropping mine off at Walmarts to have them developed.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:17 PM, (TN) Cannonball said:

Are the fish hitting light? I'm thinking it might be buffs mouthing the bait and dropping it.

FB members, let's help solve this dilemma.

The buffs haven't made it this far north yet.  I'm still waiting to see my first one.

There it is- 26 lb. 9 oz. Caught lots more since then but nowhere near that size.

PB buffalo 26-9.JPG

Tyler0420, thanks.  State record on rod & reel is 62-7; sadly the bowfishing "record" is 68-8.😒

I was a surprise when I netted it. My venue has a decent population of carp and buffs. Even managed to land two mirrors!

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:09 AM, (TN) Cannonball said:

There it is- 26 lb. 9 oz. Caught lots more since then but nowhere near that size.

PB buffalo 26-9.JPG

26-9:  That's a respectable fish! 

A lot of times you have to be careful what you wish for, but we could use some of those guys up here (I think..............)

Anyway, Cannonball, now I've seen a buff, lol.

Aside:  The same thing happened here in NY this year.  A bowfisher killed a 53lb 10oz carp in Chautauqua Lake.  The state record is 50lb 6oz.  The bow-killed carp isn't eligible for the record because it wasn't caught angling.

Regrettably, Tennessee recognizes records for rod & reel and other methods as BFing, net, gigging, etc. They are two separate categories. Go to www.tnwildlife.org then to fishing for the complete fishing records which are at the back of the regulations.