Carp Anglers Group Forums

Grass Carp vs. Asian Carp?

Are these related,or the same? I've been watching videos and reading about both. According to some people, grass carp are sacred and rare, introduced to slow the spread of noxious vegetation, and genetically bred to be unable to reproduce. Therefore, they should always be carefully returned to the water where they were caught.

According to others, they are an abominable destroyer of habitat, and should be killed in every instance.

I often see the terms used interchangeably, as if they are the same. I was fascinated by one video where a gourmet chef proposed calling them silver carp or angel fish and showed how delicious they can be.

Can anybody shed some light on this? TIA.

I think they are related according to this here. I know in Florida when I lived there they were a protected species along with Alligator Gar and had to be released back if caught. I only ended up with one which was just shy of 60lbs and a pain in the butt to revive back into the water. It was an accidental catch as I was fishing for commons and it just grabbed a boilie. I won't go out of my way to target them after that experience. 

Asian Carp News Story

Short version:

Loosely speaking, all carp are Asian inasmuch as it is widely accepted that they originated in Asia but the"asian carp" that has become notorious of late is a trio comprising of Bighead carp, Silver carp and the Black carp.

Grass carp, along with Common carp, Mirror carp and the rarer leather carp, while not part of the "bad carp" group named above, get a huge amount of bad press by both uninformed folks who think they are an invasive species (they are not) and more educated folks who know the facts but choose to ignore them in order to pursue anti-carp agendas for various reasons. 

...W

Ummm, grass carp, common carp (mirror, leather, etc.), black carp and all the Asian carp are considered invasive- not native to the U.S. Invasive species that cause natural or economic harm but I think it depends on the definition of ""harm".  One persons "harm" may not be the same as another. None of these are native fishes. Common carp are now "naturalized"- a species that has spread into the wild and has sustainable reproduction. They were brought here a century ago to "feed the masses" but have spread across most of the US-the various Asian carp will do the same. I agree, non-"fish" people use all the terms interchangeably, thus all are thrown into the "bad" fish category.....unfortunately.......

Kirk

Hmmm. Saw a video where the guy Asian carp jump. Only the silver carp jump at boat noise. Turned off the video. Black carp, silver carp, bighead carp and grass carp are the four designated as Asian carp. Wrote a news item for a TV station on this and other invasives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_carp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_carp

The links will give some details on the taxonomy and relationship of the two. Asian Carp is a catch-all name for black carp, silver carp, bighead carp and grass carp.

Edited by (TN) Cannonball